Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Skychief Special  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Skychief Special
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
It doesn't seem to me that dealing with a Ziploc bag of soaked wads is that big of a deal.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »
I believe Rob tries to keep everything period correct.  Ziplock bags would NOT fit the bill! :lol sign  And it's the K.I.S.S. principal.  But if other folks want to use olive oil soaked wads in plastic bags to get better shot patterns, all the more power to them!   :toast

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
 :laffing  OK, how about putting those wads in a deer bladder?  ;)
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
i like keeping firearms related things as simple and easy as possible.  this might mean giving up some bit of "performance" for ease of everything else.  i also like to hearken back to the 18th century and think about how things were done in that era - not that they were always better - and adopt as much as possible.  again, this might not always be the better way to hoe a row, but then again, it's only me i need to satisfy and no one else. 

so, olive oil soaked cushion wads?  as good as that kinda shot load might be, thank ye but no thanx, i'll pass and continue my stubborn old school ways.

:*:

Offline doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
This discussion only proves that there is a vanilla and a chocolate ice cream for a reason. Not everyone has the same tastes or goals. I personally just enjoy shooting the "old timey" guns. YMMV.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.