Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Need advice for selecting a gunmaker  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Need advice for selecting a gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 01:27:11 AM »
Well everyone. Your replies are helpful and I’ve been able to identify some possible candidates but, I still would like someone to respond to my original question, please.

When interviewing a builder, what questions should I be asking and, of course, what info should I be getting from the builder?

Thanks.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
if i may, it isn't so much what questions to ask a potential builder of yer gun, it's examining his track record and that's done mostly via asking around for public opinions of potential builders.  for example, take jackie brown.  his horribly sordid reputation follows him around whenever his name pops up, and for goodly reason.  he is to be avoided like the plague.

for a gun build, you might be interested in the overall gun's design with respect to era/period correctness.  there are degrees of "correct build", there are also degrees of what one would *think* such a gun would look like and how it's to be built.  not too many 18th century firearms exist and we can always wonder just what we're missing.  whatever the design, next up are components selection - stock, barrel, lock, trigger, and all the appropriate furniture.  discussing ALL the parameters of the build with a gunmaker is Extremely important - what goes where and why, embellishments, design accoutrements and carvings and inlays (if desired).  lastly is the build time.  add all that up in terms of co$t and you may need to sit down to hear the bottom line.  :o  :)

there are are more than a few avenues of pursuit when you've got a gun build in mind.  the first is to seek out an already built gun, either new or used.  do this mainly by cruising the classifieds in trad muzzleloader forums.  another approach is to check in with "commercial" builders such as tennessee valley muzzleloaders, or tenessee valley manufacturing.   then there are the Many one-on-one gunmakers - pick up a copy of muzzleloader magazine and view all the ads.  and finally, build it or finish it yerself.  kit guns can come in a variety of modes of disassembly, based on your ability to put them together.  a way to save money is to order out a pre-built "in-the-white" gun that's ready to load and shoot but needs it's wood finished with some stain and clear coat.

ain't all this stuff fun?!  :applaud  :wave  :*:

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
In addition to what Rob has mentioned, the builder will probably be the one asking you questions,.... such as your choice of wood, barrel length, barrel weight, right or left hand, cast off, LOP, hardware preference (brass or iron), prefered finish of the wood, prefered finish of the metal, touch hole liner or simple drilled vent, and etc. etc.

When dealing with a builder whose specialty is building "historically correct" guns, a lot of the above "options" can be much more limited in order to stay within the "historically correct" perimeters, and may be even narrowed down to simply the LOP of your choice.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
Thank you! That DOES help.
What you’re saying confirms some of what I knew AND provides some new info. Much appreciated.

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
I have built custom bolt rifles for myself and others, put together a few muzzleloader "kits", rebuilt / restored a couple of old CVA and Deer Creek kit guns and now own a NorthStar West Chiefs gun, recently had a full blown custom Lancaster rifle built and currently have a builder working on a "real" Hawken. 

First thing I would suggest is; know exactly what you want.  If you want an historically correct for a time period gun; research, research, and research.  If you don't know what is correct and what is not you won't have the knowledge required to select a gun builder who does. 

Second thing is to write a list of every detail you want from muzzle crown to butt plate.

Third and most important; choose a builder who loves building the style of gun you want.  The Fellow who built my Lancaster can build anything, but he LOVES building Lancaster rifles and boy does that show in the finished rifle!

My Hawken is being built by someone else.  This Guy loves Hawken rifles, shoots his own at rendezvous, builds them for others, but not just anyone, knows them inside and out and his work is outstanding. 

Narrow down your choice of builders by looking at as many samples of their work as possible and talk to the folks who are shooting them.  Then talk with those builders about your intended project.  If the guy isn't excited about building the style of gun you want forget about him and choose a builder who is.  I don't care how well known a builder is or how popular his work is, if he can't get excited about building the gun YOU want his best work isn't going into it.

Communication is very important.  I talked with three builders about my Chiefs gun.  I choose NorthStar West because Matt seamed eager to build the gun I wanted.  I was undecided on barrel length and a few minor details but Matt listened and suggested which options would be best for the gun I wanted (ballance, length of pull, historical accuracy etc)  and I am very happy with the gun.  Another well known maker did not listen and seemed to just want to sell what he had on hand.  The third didn't seem to want to talk at all.

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around but I've had good success getting exactly what I wanted in my custom builds.  Good luck with yours.
Steve Sells

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Thanks, Prairie Dog. Your guidance is appreciated.