Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: April 2019 Monthly Postal Match Results  (Read 3610 times)

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
Re: April 2019 Monthly Postal Match Results
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
Whoops.  Just realized we were to take 7 shots with the smoothbore.  I only took 5.  Oh well will remember next time (I hope).   :o ;) 8)

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »
Got my targets in the mail today.

Got them today Prairie Dog, and they are posted. Good shooting!!! (I wish I could do half of what you do with a smoothbore)  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
Shot mine today.  What a day!  Started out on the 50 yard range with 2 shots off the bench on sand bags to see where the T-C was sighted.  She shot low and right, so I moved the rear left and tried again.  This time it hit left and low, so I scooched the rear sight right a tad and called it good.

Stood up on my hind legs and took my first shot at the target - high and right, off the paper.  Next shot cut the bottom of the lowest ring.  Once again I shot, hit off the paper, low and left.  I took my trusty file and worked on the front sight a bit, then tried again.  This time I was on for elevation but off the paper to the right.  Took a last shot and it cut the lowest ring to the right of the second one. 

Then I noticed that the lock was flopping around.  Tightened up the lock screw.  Figured at this rate, Joe wouldn't mind if I didn't walk down in the mud to change targets, as long as he knows not to count the next two shots.  Wouldn't you know it, both were inside the 10 ring! :Doh!

Okay, I haven't mentioned the other problems.  The shots off the bench went great.  After that I had ignition problems where I saw sparks from the frizzen but the prime wasn't catching, and when I checked the pan the priming charge was out of it and lying under the hinge of the cover.  This happened numerous times.  I also had a number of flash-in-the-pan incidents.  On one shot I had no spark, knapped the flint three times with the same result when I finally saw that the cock was loose on the tumbler.  Tightening the screw fixed that problem, at least.  All very frustrating and time consuming.  I don't know why both the lock screw and the tumbler screw loosened, but tightening them seemed to make the problems go away.

Anyway, my target is in the mail to Joe.  If he accepts it and ignores the two shots in the 10 ring I at least have a score.  If I am disqualified I understand and that's okay too. :pray:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 05:51:51 PM »
I'll score ya, Kees. A man puts that much effort into it deserves something. :bl th up

Say, put a little beeswax on the threads of that Jaw screw. That ought'a help it from working loose on you.  :shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 05:53:19 PM »
Whoops.  Just realized we were to take 7 shots with the smoothbore.  I only took 5.  Oh well will remember next time (I hope).   :o ;) 8)

Dave

Things like that happen Dave.  :shake

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 06:25:32 PM »
Got my targets in the mail today.

Got them today Prairie Dog, and they are posted. Good shooting!!! (I wish I could do half of what you do with a smoothbore)  :hairy

Thank you. I’m up in Colorado today near Loveland, shooting in the Colorado squirrel rifle championship. The way I’ve shot today I’d been better off with my smoothbore. 🙄
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
Steve, when you get a chance, fill me in on that squirrel rifle shoot (caliber, target, shots, distance) - would appreciate it.  :shake

You know what they say about shooting; some days you own it - other days you can't buy it! It'll get better. :shake

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
Say, put a little beeswax on the threads of that Jaw screw. That oughta help it from working loose on you.

It was the screw which holds the cock to the tumbler.  Between the cock being loose and the whole lock being loose, well, there was just too much slop.  One of these days I'll get out with the smoothbore barrel in her and see what happens....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
 :Doh! I should have read your post better, Kees... :shake

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:13 AM »
Steve, when you get a chance, fill me in on that squirrel rifle shoot (caliber, target, shots, distance) - would appreciate it.  :shake

You know what they say about shooting; some days you own it - other days you can't buy it! It'll get better. :shake

40 caliber or smaller.  5 shots, 20 minute relays.  Paper targets at 25 and 50 yards.  Flintlock and percussion divisions.  Mens, womens, and youth divisions. Also a "hunter" division for those who don't have small bore rifles.  The range is across a canyon, quite the hike up.  The wind was bad in that canyon.  So bad in fact, it blew my spotting scope over and broke the tripod.  I did take first place on the 50 yard bear target but it was all down hill from there. 
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »

40 caliber or smaller.  5 shots, 20 minute relays.  Paper targets at 25 and 50 yards.  Flintlock and percussion divisions.  Mens, womens, and youth divisions. Also a "hunter" division for those who don't have small bore rifles.  The range is across a canyon, quite the hike up.  The wind was bad in that canyon.  So bad in fact, it blew my spotting scope over and broke the tripod.  I did take first place on the 50 yard bear target but it was all down hill from there.

Thanks Steve. Were all the Matches shot off-hand? And Congrats on the 50 yard Bear!  :hairy

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
Finally got my target shot this morning. Been crazy busy what with moving my mother from AZ to VA and trying to get remodeling finished on a new home for ourselves and preparing for that move. Several times this month I've planned on getting out early some morning only to have something come up that kept me up late into the night ruining my plans for heading to the range at 6:30am.  But today I forced myself to get er done. So, the check's in the mail.

Right now I'm happy I got all 5 shots on the paper. I shot 5 from the bench and they were, uh, not so good. Then I did the 5 official offhand shots and they were actually better.  Me and my rifle seem to be having a problem at 50 yards. After that I shortened up to 25 yards and took one practice shot offhand at each of the 4 silhouette targets and I nailed all 4 of them, even that pesky chicken. 

Up to now my cap gun has been doing great, but lately I'm seeing an unusual number of caps not going off.  Usually I might have 1 or 2 duds in a can of 100, but on this last outing I had 6 or 7 bad ones in 20 shots.  Sometimes I just cock and shoot again and they do fine.  I haven't figured out what's going on - whether it's a bad batch of caps or problem with the nipple or even hammer. 

It's just unexpected dry fire practice.  And I'm sure everyone of those duds was a bullseye   ::)

The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
I'll get your score posted when the target shows up SharpStick.

I can't recall the last time I struck a cap and it didn't go off - maybe 35/40 years ago?  Are you running one of those "hotshot" nipples? Russ had some problems with those a year or two back, seems the vent hole wasn't properly drilled. Hopefully Russ will come by and give us an update on what the trouble was.

Thanks for getting er' done!  :toast :shake

Also / April Scoreboard has been updated!

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
SharpStick, you've probably already checked this, but is there an old cap stuck up in the hammer. That used to get me every once in a while.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
SharpStick, you've probably already checked this, but is there an old cap stuck up in the hammer. That used to get me every once in a while.

Thanks, but yeah, that was the first thing I checked.  I have had that happen often enough that early on I created a little tool by sharpening a piece of brass rod, bending a loop in it then attaching it to my capper. That way it is always close at hand as I start to put a cap in place.  Got the idea when I noticed a screwdriver made that way in my dad's old tool box.

And the second check was using the nipple pick to make sure it wasn't plugged up.
Followed by removing the nipple and bolster screw looking for any junk clogging things up.

Next will be a close look at the nipple. I replaced the original a while back and I noticed the newer one may be slightly larger in diameter than the original such that the caps don't seem to fit as well.  However, I've been using the newer one for quite a while without a problem, until now.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)