Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Starting my first horn  (Read 3974 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Starting my first horn
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
This is the type of temp plug I i sert into the horn when flattening it. Adding and taking away wedges to match the aprox size of the horn.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online KDubs

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
 I made a set of wedges similar to these,  what are the dimensions if i may ask. .
  gonna get back on it again tomorrow .
 kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »
This is the type of temp plug I i sert into the horn when flattening it. Adding and taking away wedges to match the aprox size of the horn.

Thats basically how I do it also
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2020, 08:08:41 PM »
I made a set of wedges similar to these,  what are the dimensions if i may ask. .
  gonna get back on it again tomorrow .
 kevin

The thickness is a little under 1/2". That little horn diameter is less than 2" .
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »
Lots learned in this thread!!  Heating temps, double dipping, wedges. Wish I'd known these things a long time ago, my first attempt at a flat horn didn't turn out so well.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »
None of my horn attempts turned out well. I was starting to get pretty proud of one I was shaving down. It was getting to a point where you could see through it. You could see clean through it and out the other side after I dropped it on the basement floor. :pray:
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
None of my horn attempts turned out well. I was starting to get pretty proud of one I was shaving down. It was getting to a point where you could see through it. You could see clean through it and out the other side after I dropped it on the basement floor. :pray:

:lol sign
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2020, 06:37:41 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Nothing short of .... Awesome!!  :bl th up  :bl th up

Online KDubs

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
Thank you everyone,  I've been smiling since I finished it.
 Ordered a 1/2 dozen horns for my Xmas gift to myself .
 This might be a problem for me, very addicting..
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »
My brother in law shoots a modern inline M/L so I'm going to scrim his last name ( Raia)  on this one and send it to him in an antler mount. try and convert him.
 I ll finish it tomorrow and post a pic before i send it off.

Started a flat horn attempt this morning, went OK , not perfect but again I'm learning.
 tried the hot air gun, I found it too hard to keep 2/3 of the horn hot enough for flattening. It will work great for rounding a horn tho..took forever too, went thru a J Giels, buckcherry and and Alice cooper CD.  rock on!

Tomorrow Ill try a hot plate and crisco, in a pan of course. 

kevin

Great job, hes going to be able to get alot of use from that!

HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »
:hairy :hairy :hairy WELL DONE KEVIN!   :toast

even with a fry daddy I still use the candy therm to get the temp correct!

Ditto to that, both as well done and also to the thermometer.  Ya gots to know where you are, else French Fried horn is not very usable. 

Personally, and this is just my opinion, and what the hell do I know about all this, I would never use the hot oil technique again.  Well, that's fair, because I do not see myself ever making another powder horn again.  But if I did, I would certainly use a hot air gun.

Kevin, a couple of hints on flattening horns.  Use the thinnest horn you can find.  A heavy walled horn just takes too much effort to get hot enough to form.  Especially for a newbie like yourself.  Next, use a horn that is as narrow as you can find, else a wider horn will look like a sail.  Not good.  When you are mounting the horn in the vise, always put it between wooden plates to make sure you don't get the teeth marks from your vise pads onto the horn, although that might make an interesting pattern.  I took the metal pads off my vise and replaced them with a couple of wooden ones I made, somewhat oversized.  As far as heating the horn, first get it hot enough to do a primary flattening.  Then mount it between your wooden pads and reheat it.  Play the heat around the base, getting the air flow up and into the horn, then run it back and forth over the top and over the bottom.  When the horn is pliable, give it a squeeze or two, then tap your form a time or two.  And you might want a few side shims to keep the sides from bowing in.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
:hairy :hairy :hairy WELL DONE KEVIN!   :toast

even with a fry daddy I still use the candy therm to get the temp correct!

Ditto to that, both as well done and also to the thermometer.  Ya gots to know where you are, else French Fried horn is not very usable. 

Personally, and this is just my opinion, and what the hell do I know about all this, I would never use the hot oil technique again.  Well, that's fair, because I do not see myself ever making another powder horn again.  But if I did, I would certainly use a hot air gun.

Kevin, a couple of hints on flattening horns.  Use the thinnest horn you can find.  A heavy walled horn just takes too much effort to get hot enough to form.  Especially for a newbie like yourself.  Next, use a horn that is as narrow as you can find, else a wider horn will look like a sail.  Not good.  When you are mounting the horn in the vise, always put it between wooden plates to make sure you don't get the teeth marks from your vise pads onto the horn, although that might make an interesting pattern.  I took the metal pads off my vise and replaced them with a couple of wooden ones I made, somewhat oversized.  As far as heating the horn, first get it hot enough to do a primary flattening.  Then mount it between your wooden pads and reheat it.  Play the heat around the base, getting the air flow up and into the horn, then run it back and forth over the top and over the bottom.  When the horn is pliable, give it a squeeze or two, then tap your form a time or two.  And you might want a few side shims to keep the sides from bowing in.

John (Bigsmoke)

Hot air, tried a couple times, didnt like the outcome, I'll stick with the Skillman method, to each his own, use what works for you!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online KDubs

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »
well until i get a fry daddy it will be hot air for me.
 turns out my hot plate doesn't work anymore. It was pretty old anyway.
 i was able to flatten the end  2-3 inches of my current horn build which is thin but i think the mid section is too thick , the end looks like a kidney bean .
  i used some wedges too but they weren't much help , probably too thin. also have the wood blocks in the vise.   lessons learned. good stuff.
 thinking i'll reheat it and go to round.
 kevin

TMA Idaho rep.