Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Muzzleloader magazine: Worth it?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Muzzleloader magazine: Worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 09:15:08 PM »
I have had it for a number of years. Good selection of articles on historical places and events. Articles on historical arms or accoutrements of interest. Articles from craftsman on locks, rifles, horns and bags etc. Well worth it. Oh yah! :Doh! almost forgot lots of good ads for the stuff you don't have yet. :bl th up
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Butler Ford 40

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 05:12:06 AM »
I found out too late on many magazine subscriptions that they frequently disappoint.  I have started ordering a recent back issue to get an idea of what they are about.  Since starting this practice, I've had about 50~60% fewer disappointments.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
I found out too late on many magazine subscriptions that they frequently disappoint.  I have started ordering a recent back issue to get an idea of what they are about.  Since starting this practice, I've had about 50~60% fewer disappointments.

Bill, I would say that I agree with you on the above observation.

With 40+ years of participating and supporting traditional muzzle loading and its many interests that it involves, I will admit that many articles I read today are really a "re' hash" (not particularly the same article) of similar articles I've already read many a times. But, I do think that's true of any publication.

I do find myself doing more research in my books of related topics involving traditional muzzle loading. and I get a lot of pleasure out of that.  :shake   
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »
Thank you, everyone. Good advice, and some good info about the magazine.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 10:57:34 PM »
now I must warn you to take ANYTHING you read in an article from Mike Nesbitt with a grain of salt, trust me Mike is all about Mike, he lives here in WA state and I have to go to shoots were he attends them, enough said!

Not MIKE?  Surely not.  After all, he is a Nesbitt, and my wife's family includes Nisbetts, all the same Scottish clan, just different spellings.... Maybe I got them turned around, easy to do but still! Why, that's an affront to our family!  Humph!

Actually, Mike was on the old MLML site and was regularly raked over the coals by folks there.  He didn't seem to mind though.  He still gets paid for what he writes so I guess it doesn't really matter.  Just take his words with a grain of salt, as Beaverman said!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025