Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Touch Hole Question  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
oomcurt
 is not that you lose allot of pressure
 What it is , is basically the bigger the flash hole the more pressure that escapes  out the flash hole before the ball leaves the bore
 If you have a chronograph you will see it as a loss in velocity
 It wont be much but it does amount to a couple hundred  FPS

Offline Jesse Mains

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:40:22 AM »
Yup, drilled my .54's touchhole out and had it that way for a few years, but it seemed like I had lost velocity and my groups opened up a little. But could be operator error. 8)

YMHObriar,

Jesse
"Alles Kunst ist Unsonst, Wenn ein Engel in Das Zundloch Prunst." - Baron von Steuben

Offline Minnesota Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
Funniest one I heard about too big of a touch hole was gent that had drilled it out to make sure he got spark thru.

Loaded up went to shoot - almost nuthin happened. Buddy teased him about trying to dryball or it or being mathmatically challenged and unable to operate a measurer.

Tried it again . . . same thing. Buddy is really laughing now.

Tried third time . . . same result. Buddy stops laughing. He's perplexed now as well.

Fourth try with buddy's help . . . once again 'poosh' is all he gets. This time however buddy notices all this black powder all over his moccasins.

Fifth time he watches the touch hole. As the shooter rams down the patched ball he sees a stream of powder being pushed out of the oversized touch hole by the air pressure of ramming down the patched ball.

Needless to say that liner was replaced and all drilling privileges were revoked for the shooter.

r/
MM
TMA number #269.
Expiration Date Oct 2010.

Offline Leatherbark

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 05:33:08 AM »
Try coning it on the outside with a large bit say 1/4 inch until you reach slightly under 5/64 inch. Then you would have an ideal hourglass shaped liner. When the time comes that you think you might want a liner then I'd pull the breechplug to make sure the liner does not protrude into the barrel and to make sure the breechplug is not too long for a liner.................................Bob

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
thanks, again for the info
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley