Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Conicals in slow PRB twist?  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
Quote from: "sse"
i have had my say
No one could argue that!   ;) :lol:

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
I don't mean to ruffle feathers but a roundball will shoot through the deer I hunt. I am very selective with my shots and take great pleasure in insuring my ball or bullet goes where I aim it
Shot with a CVA 45 cal hardcast prb and 70 gr fffg range 45-50 yards
Shot behind the near shoulder and exiting breaking the far side shoulder joint. trailed him about 40 yards. He never got his front end back under him

Shot from an enclosed shooting house with TC Hawken range 62 yards .490 prb 80 gr ffg You can see the pass through hit the water she fell just out of the picture.

Again I say I'm not trying to start anything just showing my results I have documented

Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
Charles,
    Excellent post!  (the long one)  I mean it;  I enjoyed it and can find no fault with your logic or your story; it was a good read, and I appreciate the time you took to write it. We're way more on the same page than might be obvious. I too understand the difference between "hunting" and just shooting.  It is the "experience" that drives me to the woods with the bow and with black powder gun instead of modern rifle. I enjoyed the above history lesson as well. I come here to learn; its that simple. I question and sometimes stir the pot a little, but I think it has been good for everybody. I appreciate the time and effort you and Rollingb have put into my quest for information here. I bet the three of us would have a great time around a campfire on a hunt somewhere and I would welcome both of you if given that opportunity assuming you think you could put up with me! :-)
   Rollingb, Yes, we do have some small deer around here. A decent buck will be well under 200 pounds often under 150.  A hundred pound doe is a pretty good size ole gal. Penetration tests......naw, I have not done any. I just kinda bought the conventional wisdom that .54 was on the bigger side of enough and I reckon it likely is if I would just put the ball in a better place.

RM, Come on now and let us play. The dead horse is dead and does not know we are flogging him! Besides we are just now all getting on the same page and getting all warm and fuzzy feeling!  Judging from the views column there are almost a thousand folks who have been quietly enjoying our little rant! :-)

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »
I think there is a point of diminished returns with increased ba; size at 100 yds a 62 would not likely go theu both shoulders but a ball the size of a bowling ball may not either it would likely mess up one side pretty good as it kocked the animal end over tea kettle, the think archery and let the animal be fore half an hour before looking for it are a coulpe of good basic ML tactics. The closer the shot with any cal the better off due to diminishing potential Murphys Law flare ups

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
Jerry - That is one awesome buck!  Teach me to do that.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »
Mark, I have seen where a post like this with a newcomer has caused him to get frustrated and leave. I hate it when this happens, but it looks like you're going to stay, and I'm glad that you are. :happy
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Quote from: "sse"
Jerry - That is one awesome buck!  Teach me to do that.

Will do Jimmy
Hunt every day you can and
Wait for it
Be LUCKY and in the right spot at the right time
His love for the girls is what got him
Plus the CVA didn't mis-fire

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
Quote from: "R.M."
Mark, I have seen where a post like this with a newcomer has caused him to get frustrated and leave. I hate it when this happens, but it looks like you're going to stay, and I'm glad that you are. :shake

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
RM, I appreciate your post and your concern. I'm almost 50 years old and been hunting since I could walk(before that my dat carried me) :-)  I been messing around on these type forums especially in archery about fifteen years or more and I learned a long time ago to live and let live and have thick skin. The main point is to learn and share; that's why folks come here. I got a good start on this MLer obsession just about a year ago on here and just came back around here at the end of hunting season with some questions. It has all been good and I hope I ain't ruffled too many feathers. I reckon I am here for the duration except of course for some extended absences to Hunt and try all this knowlege out!!! :-)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
Jerry,
   Be careful what you wish for! :-)  I don't type all that well and my shooting can be much worse!!!  (after all I did spell "dad"  'dat' in my last post!!  GEEEEESSH!!  If I can't even hit the right key right here in front of me, I am sure hitting a gong way out there will be tough!!