Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: IL SSL Patch/Bullet Lube (Idaholewis Super Skunk Lube)  (Read 2680 times)

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: IL SSL Patch/Bullet Lube (Idaholewis Super Skunk Lube)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 03:36:01 AM »
This thread has made for some really interesting reading!

I have heard about Possum Grease, Coon Grease, Bear Grease, and Goose Grease, but Skunk Grease?
As I said, this is really interesting!
Keep at it! You just might convince this boy to give it whirl once I learn how he did that Skunk in.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
Some young kids around here use to trap skunks and if i recall, they used a syringe & needle to kill them (somehow) and claimed they wouldn't spray... Wish I could recall their methods better then I do now... Sorry...

I just thought of it.

Somehow they rigged up a cattle syringe in a PVC tube (probably 5 or 6 feet long) and had a rod to push the plunger of the syringe down to inject a air bubble in them, and I think this all took place after they covered the cage with a piece of canvas with just enough uncovered to see a part of the skunk and to stick it and inject the air bubble... I believe the bubble was suppose to travel to their heart - killing them... They claimed it worked, and I don't recall them ever smelling - well,,, skunky...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
I have heard, and this is strictly hearsay, mind you, as I have not personally verified it, but if you catch one in a humane trap, they cannot lift their tail.  Evidently, as they say, if the skunk cannot lift its tail, it cannot or will not spray.  Like I say, this is strictly hearsay.  So, there is a 50-50 chance this is true.  Someone try it and let us know.  But if it is fiction, I am sorry, but I cannot accept any responsibility.
John
PS  There is always road kill.  Then you don't have to worry about it.  The skunk already blew its load when the car hit it.  And, it is already dead.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 02:13:33 AM »
Sorry guy’s I haven’t been active on here in quite sometime.

Skunks, We have a SEVERE Problem with them things around this area, I have trapped and Dispatched 15 of them here in my Town Home Yard. Town is actually a SANCTUARY for Skunks, They have everything they could possibly need and MUCH More. My fear was/is stepping out in the Night, Early morning and getting Sprayed with one, or my Little House Dog, Skunks are a Very Nocturnal Creature, especially in a Town area, They stay under Buildings, porches etc. During the Day, and they Come out at night. Anyway, i chose to Start thinning the population down!

The 1st up was a Trap, They actually make, and Sell Tube Style Skunk Traps, And Claim that a Skunk Can NOT spray if they can’t lift their Tail? I did a substantial amount of reading on Trapping Forums and those guy’s claim that to be a RIDICULOUS FALSE Claim, They say a Skunk can Spray NO MATTER what, And I FULLY Trust them  ;) The secret is a Dark Box, If they are Enclosed they Don’t like to Spray, it’s hard on them as well!! In the Wild they Spray when needed as Defense, then Get away from it! In an enclosed Box, they know they are STUCK in it! The only way they would likely Spray in a Tightly closed Box is if something Tried to GRAB Them etc. in the Trap.

i chose a LARGE Size Box Trap, Larger than needed for a Skunk, But i Wanted something that would Also catch a Raccoon if need be. The next thing was to Darken it, I simply built a Plywood Box to Slide Wite Box trap inside of, a Door at each end. When i catch a Skunk, I Slowly walk up to the Trap from the Side, And carefully lower the Doors Shut, this Completely Encloses, Darkens everything. 👍 I am usually doing this in the EARLY morning Hours Before Daylight, or right at it.

The next part is Dispatching, This was the TRICKY part!! First off, there is NO EASY way to Dispatch a Skunk! I would much prefer to Shoot them, Take their head SLICK off, But they Will SPRAY EVERY TIME, at least in my Experience, and LOTS of others, including Professional Trappers, Yes it is a SLICK Humane way of Ending the Skunk FAST, But you will be Dealing with the Stink, if this is in your Yard? This can Linger ALL SUMMER LONG!! I did a TON of Reading, and research on the Best way to Dispatch WITHOUT Spraying? They actually Sell a Pole on Trapping sights, a Long pole with a Syringe in the End, with mechanism runs through it allowing you to Inject with your Thumb while remaining 10 ft or so away, Believe it or not they use Acetone in the Syringe!! That didn’t sound like ANYTHING i wanted to do! Though i did watch a Video, and the Skunk being busy looking for a way out, didn’t even react to the Needle, and was STONE Dead in 5-7 Seconds! The next thing was a Dryer vent attched to your Vehicle and of Course the Enclosed Box Trap. And last, is Drowning. The Game Dept actually recommends Drowning if caught in a Box Trap. LIKE I SAID FELLA’S, THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO KILL A SKUNK!!! This is the part that i TRULY HATE! I have a 110 Gallon Stock tank that i keep Full of Water for Garden Plants, When i catch a Skunk that is where he Goes, i finish my Chores, and then go Get the Skunk. Out of 15 Skunks, i have Smelled 2 maybe 3 of them? When lifting the Box from the Water, So they will “Let off” that way as well, BUT there is 110 Gallons of Water to Help Dilute it  ;) But most of them Don’t Spray.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 02:56:19 AM »
Good Post Idaholewis, very informative.
I know from experience that shooting these little buggers makes one heckof'ah stink....no way around that that I could see, even with head shot from a .50 cal.....head gone, but stink is there is with a revenge.
Thank you.

Russ...

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
Good Post Idaholewis, very informative.
I know from experience that shooting these little buggers makes one heckof'ah stink....no way around that that I could see, even with head shot from a .50 cal.....head gone, but stink is there is with a revenge.
Thank you.

Russ...

That is SPOT ON Uncle Russ! I have shot 2 of these things with a High powered Air Rifle, A Break action .22 Cal, It put em DOWN IMMEDIATELY but here came the Stink!! I Sprinkled Baking Soda and Peroxide all over that Spot to help neutralize the Smell, the WHOLE Neighborhood suffered from those few, I probably wasn’t the most popular neighbor on those ones  :laffing Nah, Truth is EVERYONE around here appreciates me doing it, Something needed to be Done, this country is OVER RUN with Skunks, They are one of the BIGGEST Carriers there is of Rabies.

Cruelty to ANYTHING is something I HIGHLY Disagree with, And I wouldn’t want to meet anyone that thought it was Cool, Truth is i DON’T Like it at all!! But i Don’t Know any other way? Like i said, Even the Game Dept Advises this Method, RARELY do you ever smell anything.

And since I have an ABUNDANCE of these Things Around, and some DARN Big ones, i got to thinking is there ANYTHING i can do with them? That’s when the Rendered Tallow, Lube idea popped in my Head  :) This Lube is REALLY GOOD Stuff!! ZERO Smell, I have tested it as Patch Lube, and Bullet Groove Lube, i Have Shot it to 600 Yards with Great success from my Long Range Renegade. Rendering it, The Cracklings actually Smelled Good  :bl th up I thought about Fixing my Wife a Nice breakfast for when she Got up, Skunk Cracklings, Toast, n Eggs, But Quickly decided against it, If i am to live another day, and Trap another Skunk that is  :luff:
“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
 :hairy Thanks for sharing how you got such a "pristine" skunk for making your lube. . . thoroughly enjoyable reading and very educational, as well. Fifteen skunks is a load and a half of skunks. My hat is off to ya! :bow :bow :bow :toast
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Look at the Size of this one!! This was before I realized how good, and Easy the Tallow is to Collect, This was a BIG Skunk!

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
WOW! He's big enough to get your attention. That's fur sure. Definitely would want to meet him in a dark alley... :lol sign How much do ya think he weighted?
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »
" I thought about Fixing my Wife a Nice breakfast for when she Got up, Skunk Cracklings, Toast, n Eggs, But Quickly decided against it, If i am to live another day, and Trap another Skunk that is  :luff:"

Idaholewis, you don't only write good readable stories, but you  are also one very wise and reasonable man!
Keep it up! Very enjoyable stories!

Russ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »
Ah yes, that's what those kids were buying, Acetone for their long Syringe... Thanks Lewis, my remember'er isn't what it use to be.  :shake

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
Many years ago,.... my mother learned, you should NEVER try to "shoo" a skunk away from a cat food bowl with a broom!  :laffing :laffing :o :Doh!
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »
Ah yes, that's what those kids were buying, Acetone for their long Syringe... Thanks Lewis, my remember'er isn't what it use to be.  :shake

Sorry Joe, I meant to respond to your post on that, Acetone is what they use! The problem i see with that is you have to walk up to them close enough to get that Pole Through the Wire Trap, I just didn’t like the idea of it? Plus I would of had to Buy the Pole Setup etc.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 09:02:43 PM »

Sorry Joe, I meant to respond to your post on that, Acetone is what they use! The problem i see with that is you have to walk up to them close enough to get that Pole Through the Wire Trap, I just didn’t like the idea of it? Plus I would of had to Buy the Pole Setup etc.

I've never trapped them myself, though I use to work part time on a Ranch and would watch & tend that Ranch when the owner and his family went on vacation. By golly I found one in their live trap they had set before they left... Just my luck... :lol sign

I dispatched the critter with a shot to the head and, well - it sprayed... Needless to say, I didn't reset the live trap cage... :laffing

Online Uncle Russ

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »
Many years ago,.... my mother learned, you should NEVER try to "shoo" a skunk away from a cat food bowl with a broom!  :laffing :laffing :o :Doh!
Your Mamma was indeed one smart lady!
My mamma always told me to "go run that thing off, he's stinkin up the house"...just another reason I fully understand how they can get ya after being shot...shot several times, in fact.
It's almost like their last great act of revenge!