Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Ball, patch, powder combination to start  (Read 1519 times)

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
and especially Master BigSmoke

Oh No!!!  Now he's gonna want all of us to call him that  ;)
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »
Yessir, Al, and to you it will be

Master Bigsmoke, SIR. :rotf   And then do this: :bow

Russ,
Just Good Lube is a beeswax/jojoba oil compound.  I think it is really a bit stiff for patch lube, but works well for bullet lube and as a preservative.

For patch lube, the Ol' Thunder is the deal.  I can shoot my petite little charcoal burners all day long without wiping the bore using it as a patch lube.  One time just for grins, I shot a 25 shot trailwalk with a .69 caliber rifle using a 250 grain charge of Ffg, .015 Ox Yoke patch and a .678 diameter ball.  Never wiped the bore and I dare say the last shot loaded as easy as the first.  That's pretty hard to argue with.
Easy to find, either look on the web site or check with Fletcher.  He handles it as well.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »
Wow John, were you ever invited back? That combo has to be rough on targets. I'd have probably gone home cripple.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
Hank,
AS a matter of fact, they are a great group of guys.  I think all they said was some of those targets needed to be rewelded, anyhow.  Yeah, the spinner targets were really impressive to see react.  Thought one was going to take off like a helicopter.
They didn't flinch when I came back with a 12 bore rifle, but when I showed up with the 8 bore, they really cringed.  I didn't use it, but it was worth the laughs to show up with it.

Sorry to hijack the thread

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »
Thanks Uncle Russ for the thumbs up but Beav gave me his recipe a few years back. I can shoot ALL DAY without cleaning in between shots. I've only have use two other lube before this stuff but I will never change my lube.This stuff is great.Thanks Uncle Russ for putting me first,I like to stay ahead of that boy

WEAVER BEAVER FOULING CLEANER  
                  AVAILABLE AT YOUR NEAREST POND
                          OR YARN SHOP
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Offline MrFox

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
Feel free to. I'll do that to one of yours, besides I got all I need ;)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Quote from: "sse"
Uncle Rooskee, yer slippin...what is your recommended lube?  

Currently my fave is spit.

Jim Beau, I spent a life time chasin that "very best" lube and I do want to thank you for allowing me to elaborate a bit on this mystery of all mysteries...the elusive Great Lube.

Making and experimenting with 'homemade' lube has been a passionate side-line hobby for many of us old timers ever since we were just pups....we never miss an opportunity to try something new, something improved, and something better.

However, it turns out to be all in the finding of that new, improved, and better lube....you must first recognize it before you can lay claim to it and say it is indeed better.

I've played with everything from Crisco, to Bore Butter, to Natural 1000, to LeHigh Valley, to Emerts, to Moose Milk of a dozen different persuasions, to my very latest concoction, that was before now unnamed, but which I have just decided to name....

This new Miracle Lube is to be known as....
[size=150]Weaver Beaver[/size]

The Weaving Welshman and Beaverman had more than just a little input into it's formula so I thought the name to be appropriate. I'm still a bit at odds on exactly how much water is to be added to complete the process....but I'm very close.

Since it's final ingredients are still a bit in debate (at least inside my own head) I will just skip that part for now and say it's good stuff, real good stuff.

In the meantime, for MrFox, I would suggest he try Crisco, Natural 1000 (used exactly as the directions say, not just a dab on a patch)...... or plain old spit, spit patches are still a wonderful way to go and you can't go wrong using 'em.

Uncle Russ...

Actually Uncle Russ the guys at GRMM call it Beaver Milk, and I'm getting ready to go in to production with the formula!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
Actually Uncle Russ the guys at GRMM call it Beaver Milk, and I'm getting ready to go in to production with the formula!

That's great, then I'll back down and just watch the show.

Got me self a half-gallon jug full, just waiting on a weather change to start the testing....with a 1/2 gal starting point, I left myself plenty of room for water to find that "sweet-spot".

Reminds me of making Ed's Red.....ain't no way you can make just a little bit!

If you're going into production, you better hitch you hurries up and get 'em going, good things won't sit forever, once some enterprising young fella sees it at work, it's going to walk right out from under ya ....trust me on this.

I would still be using LeHigh Valley.....if they hadn't changed hands, and then changed the formula. Within 6 months of that change happening, word got out and things went south on the new folks.....some lubes have just got it, some just don't...

WEAVER BEAVER....gotta nice ring to it, no?   :happy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
Beaver Milk
Glad you came up with a substitute, because it was always tough to get that beaver milk the old fashioned way...LOL
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
One other variable that has not been mentioned much is consistency in the cap being used. Once you developed a load for a specific cap you need to stay with that brand and style.

Variations in caps between manufacturers {CCI vs Rem} and styles {#11 vs musket} can have a large effect on the ballistics of a given load. Once you know what works for your load buy a good supply and always use that cap with that load.

Don't give in to the temptation to use whatever is on sale. You may not like the results
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
I've used exclusively #11 CCI's, as good a product as you can get.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
I know this might draw a little flak , but I"ve ound the Remington brand to be very consistant . Overall , after using several of the brand name caps. ( since non-corrosive became the norm) the Remington , to me , has performed the best . I"m quite certain that some brands are made by one company and just pakaged with their Logo  . Ie. CVA . I would have to agree its best to use the the same brand  regardless of brand .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline MrFox

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
I"ve ound the Remington brand to be very consistant . Overall , after using several of the brand name caps.

I saw multiple good reviews on Remington #11 caps and mixed reviews of CCI caps, so I shall start with Remington and if I have any problems with those, I'll consider going into musket caps.

Online Bigsmoke

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
Not to forget RWS.  In my mind, the best, hottest cap on the market.
I have always had good results with Remington, but that was years and years ago.  About all I can find on the local market is CCI, so I get the CCI Magnum caps.
I am a bit allergic to paying HazMat fees to UPS caps in.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline lefty41

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
Gander Mountain carries Winchester #11 magnum caps and I have had zero failures with them. Bought 1000 last spring at $4.69 per 100. Couldn't find anything else at the time. I have used a little over 200 so far.
Lefty 41,AKA Jerry Miller
Life member NAHC
TMA member #500, expires 02-16-2017
Member Columbus Muzzle loading Gun Club
Member Bill Moose Muzzle loading Gun Club
Member NMLRA
"In God we trust"