Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy  (Read 2064 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 05:56:46 PM »
that was great that ya stepped in to help that poor pilgrim, joe.  :bl th up

unfortunately, to get any messages out the public these dayze, it requires social media intervention.  social media is like fast food - a quick tasty satisfaction with lotsa calories and nothing substantially healthy for mind or spirit.  i won't even get into the politics of those venues, it's sickening enuf.

i think it'd be a mistake to stop the TMA facebook page, but i also think much should be done to get those who are there over to here.  we've hashed all this out numerous times, i can't go down that trail again, but i will always abide by the officers and BoD decisions.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »
I agree Rob... This is one issue that IMHO deserves a straight vote decision by the TMA BOD... You guys know my feelings on it. TMA Facebook to direct them here to the Forum, and I would be open to allowing folks to post their up coming events on it, as long as it comes through the Forum here, and those events are strictly related to Traditional Muzzle Loading only.

I would also add that if the organizer of a said Event - posts their event - they are responsible for answering any questions about "their" event and that means they had better patrol the required TMA Board here on the Form to do that...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
I agree Rob... This is one issue that IMHO deserves a straight vote decision by the TMA BOD... You guys know my feelings on it. TMA Facebook to direct them here to the Forum, and I would be open to allowing folks to post their up coming events on it, as long as it comes through the Forum here, and those events are strictly related to Traditional Muzzle Loading only.

Since I've forfeited my BoD vote, all I can offer is my opinion,.... and my opinion is the same as Joe's.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Spotted Bull

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »
If I had a BoD vote, I'd vote with Joe.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
that was great that ya stepped in to help that poor pilgrim, joe.  :bl th up

unfortunately, to get any messages out the public these dayze, it requires social media intervention.  social media is like fast food - a quick tasty satisfaction with lotsa calories and nothing substantially healthy for mind or spirit.  i won't even get into the politics of those venues, it's sickening enuf.

i think it'd be a mistake to stop the TMA facebook page, but i also think much should be done to get those who are there over to here.  we've hashed all this out numerous times, i can't go down that trail again, but i will always abide by the officers and BoD decisions.

That's some pretty good words right there!

TMA Facebook Page, the TMA's one and only Child has come of age, acting like a spoiled, rotten, unruly teenager, right alongside the rest of this fast-paced generation, and we don't know how to handle it.
Sound familiar?

Well, for what its worth, we are not alone in this fast-changing world.
Every Bulletin Board type Forum that I'm aware of, some that I once thought were far too big to ever fail, are all faced with this same unruly Child, this same dilemma.
Instant gratification is now being demanded, not just asked for.

Knowledge, accurate knowledge, of what we do best on an open, user-friendly Forum, is IMHO the very best way to off-set this.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Facebook seems to have taken a different direction than internet forums, much like the modern inlines differ from traditional muzzleloaders.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
Facebook seems to have taken a different direction than internet forums, much like the modern inlines differ from traditional muzzleloaders.

That is very true, and I agree with Russ' comment as well.

We don't have to put up with this "miss information" - our cure is to direct folks here to our Forum, if they so choose to take advantage of it... If not, so be it - but this "miss information" bs over on FB needs to end and we need to distant our organization from false & damaging info... The cure is simple; Read only and direct them here to the Forum... What those folks do with this directional information is up to them - but at least we (the TMA) will no longer be giving them a platform,,, and I'm of the opinion that some will be quick to take advantage of this - while it will take longer for others to come around to it...

We simply can no longer in good conscious can be part of this poor misguiding type of information...

PS... If it weren't for my wife telling me how to spell words correctly, I have no idea how the above would read... :laffing

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
FWIW, I (as admin of the page) like Joe have contacted the individual that originally posted this question, as I do with many individuals that I feel have been mis-led.

We have had these same issues on the forum, too, in the past. The difference is that we have 7400+ users in the TMA group.

If that group becomes read-only, those 7400 users will be out there without input from the handful of TMA "members" that actually are helpful contributors within the group.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 11:24:02 AM »
FWIW, I (as admin of the page) like Joe have contacted the individual that originally posted this question, as I do with many individuals that I feel have been mis-led.

We have had these same issues on the forum, too, in the past. The difference is that we have 7400+ users in the TMA group.

If that group becomes read-only, those 7400 users will be out there without input from the handful of TMA "members" that actually are helpful contributors within the group.

i replied to your post over at the exec forum.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 05:32:08 PM »
 s20 party????? What is this?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
I certainly agree 100% with you.  We don't really need to be there.

this
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
I see there is more uneducated information floating around on that Facebook page this morning, once again someone telling someone their drum is ruined because the cleanout screw's head slot is burger'd up... The latest advice??? Pull the drum and replace it... It's a CVA bolster type set up and you absolutely do not mess with those - you'll never get it lined back up properly... All over a drum clean out screw that means absolutely nothing except to the sellers of these rifles trying to convince folks how much easier they will be to clean... Most (if practically all) original caplock muzzle loading "drum" firearms never had a clean-out screw...

So there goes another offshore muzzleloading rifle down the toilet 'cause that owner will never get that drum lined back up...

Yes, Facebook has to go... We don't need to have anything more to do with those Saturday morning self proclaimed experts over there...

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
I see there is more uneducated information floating around on that Facebook page this morning, once again someone telling someone their drum is ruined because the cleanout screw's head slot is burger'd up... The latest advice??? Pull the drum and replace it... It's a CVA bolster type set up and you absolutely do not mess with those - you'll never get it lined back up properly... All over a drum clean out screw that means absolutely nothing except to the sellers of these rifles trying to convince folks how much easier they will be to clean... Most (if practically all) original caplock muzzle loading "drum" firearms never had a clean-out screw...

So there goes another offshore muzzleloading rifle down the toilet 'cause that owner will never get that drum lined back up...

Yes, Facebook has to go... We don't need to have anything more to do with those Saturday morning self proclaimed experts over there...

and to boot, there never was an intended "clean out screw" for cap locks - it's a safety valve for when a bad load explodes and blows the out the bolster side instead of through the nipple and into the shooter's skull.  there's nothing in the bolster/snail that can't be cleaned out by just removing the nipple, using solvents and elbow grease, which is why no such "clean out screws" existed on some bolsters.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 03:11:16 PM »

and to boot, there never was an intended "clean out screw" for cap locks - it's a safety valve for when a bad load explodes and blows the out the bolster side instead of through the nipple and into the shooter's skull.  there's nothing in the bolster/snail that can't be cleaned out by just removing the nipple, using solvents and elbow grease, which is why no such "clean out screws" existed on some bolsters.

Exactly Rob!  :bl th up

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »

I read the tea leaves about a FB group back when it was my last year as TMA VP, knew that if we opened one up that the paid membership for the TMA and the forum would suffer, landed on deaf ears, my forum the Horners Bench has suffered the same attendance and post count issues when one of my mods started the same, a FB page anouncing the TMA with a link to the forum was all the was ever needed, but......... hate to say I told you so!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"