Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Loads for 20 Gauge. V.M. Starr says....  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Loads for 20 Gauge. V.M. Starr says....
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
I was reading Mr. Starr's notes on muzzleloading shotguns and noticed something I find interesting.  He  recommends 2 1/4 drams of FFg in a 20 gauge.  I did the math and it comes out to 61.5 grains of powder.  This seems like a light charge.  I use 75 grains of FFg.  So I'm curious, what charge do you use in a 20?

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Re: Loads for 20 Gauge. V.M. Starr says....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »
I am still learning about shot loads but I use 80 grains FF-g and 1 1/4 ounce as a turkey load and 70 grains FF-g and 1 1/8 ounce loads for jackrabbits.

I need to try some 7/8 ounce and 1 ounce loads on clay targets.

I'm new to shot loads and smoothbores and there is a lot I haven't tried yet.  Pattern boards will tell you a lot.
Steve Sells

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
I use 70r FFFg Goex in my flintlock trade gun. Either 7/8 or 1 oz of shot.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:14:21 AM »
A volume load of 2.1/4 drms of FFg to 7/8oz of shot is quite adequate for game shooting using heavy loads is not necessary.
Feltwad

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
I use 70 grains of 2Fg, and 7/8 ounce of shot, a 1/8" fiber card between the shot and the powder, plus tow over the shot, but I confess there isn't any real "science" to it...I found I liked a 2½ "dram equivalent" and 7/8 ounces of shot in my modern shotshells, so figured out that would be 68.35 grains of powder in black powder (so I rounded up to 70), and used the same weight in shot as the shotshell.   This worked great in my Pedersoli 20 ga. SxS, but that is also choked...so when I I got a Pedersoli Trade Gun I tried the same loads, and though without a choke I have to be at about 25 yards or less, it still takes game, so I didn't bother further....

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Fort Greene Ville

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 46
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Gentlemen,
If I may chime in here? First off I will post this link:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/
Bob's Black Powder Notebook, Bob has a wonderful site that gives excellent information on shooting and smoothies. Add it to your favorites because you will want to return!

As for what I load; I have a heavy Colrain barrel 42", I only shoot 3fg Goex (never got great ignition from 2fg).
for a shot load for turkey or pheasants it is 55 grain powder 1-5/8 oz of a #4/6 shot mixed 50/50
for round ball it is 70 grain powder behind a .600 patched ball.
I load as described in Bob's writings which is always; powder, thick card, shot or ball and thin card over shot.

I have never patterned the shot but I have taken a pheasant flying away at 40 yards as well as cutting the top of a deer's heart at 35 yards.  Now I'm not bragging here, just examples of what has work. I have been shooting only flintlocks for the last 12+ years.

Like I have said earlier Bob's Notebook is essential reading!

Good Luck and Enjoy !!!!! :salute
Even a blind Squirrel finds a nut once in a while!
Andrew Kenworthy
Charter #46 10/9/17 exp
Life member NRA
Life member NAHC
NMLRA member
Fort Greene Ville Muzzle Loaders Inc-Secretary

Offline lefty41

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »
Thank you for the link to Bob's Blackpowder Notebook. Have a T/C Renegade .56 SB and really just starting to think about shotgun shooting with it. PRB does super at 25 yds (50 grains FFg, .535/.015).
Lefty 41,AKA Jerry Miller
Life member NAHC
TMA member #500, expires 02-16-2017
Member Columbus Muzzle loading Gun Club
Member Bill Moose Muzzle loading Gun Club
Member NMLRA
"In God we trust"

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »
Listen to Feltwad. I found that following Starr's one-wad method and shooting equal volumes of powder and shot in both 12's and 20's patterned best for me every time. In my 20's I mostly used 55 ande 65 grain measures, FFg Goex, and #6 and #7 1/2 shot. I'm not talking turkey loads here, but shooting flying and busting clays. That's what Starr was talking about too, IIRC.

If you spend time patterning, I think you'll find, as did Starr, that heavier charges and felt cushions tend to blow holes in patterns. Most folks would be well advised to lighten up and stop imitating shotshell loads. If a 20ga won't do in a given situation, go to a 16 or 12.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »
Turkey load, 80 gr. ffg, 1 1/4 oz mixed shot, 5s, 7s, 8s, paper wasp nest over powder and over shot. When I used different wads and cards I got doughnut hole patterns. Paper wasp nest buffers then disintegrates out of the barrel. At least that is what I guess is happening. Got tired of messing with felt wads and thin cards that didn't want to go down the barrel, or turned sideways part way down the bore. Just lazy I guess, but the wasp nest is quick, requires no thinking on my part and patterns well for me.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
Grey hunter

I have always used a volume load on all bore sizes of shotguns the only time that I may change is on the big 4 bore these guns are proofed for 10 drms of black powder 1Fg or coarse is the best to 4oz of shot to shoot half of that load is quite ample.I use  2number 1/8 card wads over the powder and 1/16 card over the shot Never  use any wads that are thinner than 1/16 because they can  become lodged on the bore wall this then becomes an obstruction which will result in a bulge or burst barrel  {see image}
Feltwad

A burst barrel caused from a thin card

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
Bet that caused a laundry problem!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
Just remember, in Starr's day hunters were few and birds were plenty. They seldom had to take a shot over 25 yards so the very light loads were fine for the range they shot at. If you keep to close shots you will do fine but in this day & age the birds are few and wary & the hunters are plenty.
Rob

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »
the old fowler's rede ...

"Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead.

More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread."

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »
That's a nice rhyme....defies Newton's laws...but catchy, none the less.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Joel/Calgary

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
That's a nice rhyme....defies Newton's laws...but catchy, none the less.  
Newton's laws say nothing about pattern density, which is what this is about.  This has been "common knowledge" since at least the early 18th century.  The equal-volume load has always been the starting point, but it's often been found (then and now) in unchoked smoothbores that having more shot than powder (by volume) increases pattern density at some cost in velocity.  As with most things in muzzleloaders, each combination of gun, components, and loading technique can be a law unto itself, but lots of us have found that our optimum compromise between velocity and pattern density comes with more shot than powder, often something close to the old recommended ratio of 4:3 ("1/3 more shot than powder"), and I've seen turkey loads cited where the shooters are using 1/2 more shot (3:2 ratio), often with larger shot like #5.

Regards,
Joel