Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 20 ga Turkey loads  (Read 993 times)

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Re: 20 ga Turkey loads
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"
I would ram the patch down a little, add some shot, pack it down, add more shot and so forth until I got my complete 1 1/2 oz of #6 in the barrel then ram it home. I was using 70 gr of 2F.

That's pretty cool - never tried that. Oh, I got my 20 ga bbl, but it won't fit any of my guns "as is", so will be trying with the 12 again this year. Beautiful turkey hunting weather today! My season starts tomorrow - they are calling for another 4-8" of snow....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »
4 to 8 inches of SNOW !!! it's 91 here today...  god I hate snow---grew up in it, Indiana...
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
Well we missed that storm, but did get about an inch - North of us they have been getting snow every other day. Up by Duluth they got another 8-10" last night. I love snow, love the winter, I really do, but have you ever had a really good friend that comes to visit and over stays his welcome? That is how I am feeling about winter right now....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
Man  Russ , has it been that long since we first talked about this ????
 Like Eric ,  I all to often ended up  with a slug when patterning  shots  using a paper shot cup .
 Myself I believe this was mostly do to  having a tight load to begin with  and not perforating the paper .
 But a perforated  cup would end up breaking open in my bag. I even went so far as to try modern cups .

In the end I found that my  gun shot better without the cup anyway  . .
So really what my paper cartridges end up being is quick loaders .
 I make the paper hull just as Uncle Russ posted .
 However  the way I load them is different as  I make 2 compartments .

Once the tube is made , I mark back to the center of the tube .  I then slip  a sizing rod (two piece of the same rod I use to form the paper tube .)  I slip these back into  the tube from both ends  tell the are just shy of center . At that  point I  tie the  tube  off tightly using string . This gives the tube an hourglass shape to the tube . I then mark a P  for powder  on one side and a S for shot on the other side .

Now  I remover  the two sections of  rod..
 On the P side I insert my  over the powder cards first . If you use wads , you want those in first . Then cards . you cant push them down all the way to the string .  Just go down to about ½ an inch from the string .
 On top of that I put in my powder  load . Then I fold   the end over the powder   in the same way as a normal paper cartridge and  add a bit of glue or wax drip  to the paper .

Now on the S side I add my over the shot card .  Do it the same way as the  P side and you will find that the two haves will pull up together .
I then add my shot charge . Fold and seal  the end .

Again what this does is give me a quick load .

To load : take the  end marked P and tear it open . Dump the powder  I the bore .
 Now  tear the paper back and remove the  cards and wad .  If you put them in correctly  they will come out in the right order .
 Once they are down you tear open the S side , dump the shot and pull the over the shot card
OR if your wanting a shot cup , simply flip the S side over so that the  closed end is inserted into the bore  and the string is up .
 Start this down the bore to the point the string is at the muzzle .
 You can then eath cut the paper with your patch Knife OR  simply grasp the string and give it a yank . Which tears the paper off right above the over the shot card .
All that’s left is to run the charge home .

Eric . Its been a while since I  played with all this. Ill have to try your  patch idea . Seems to me it would work well . Are you adding the over the shot card before you cut the patch off at the muzzle ?