Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Forum Use Complaints  (Read 2556 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Forum Use Complaints
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
With regards to the photo posting, is there such a thing that the webmaster could install that self adjusts the photo to the correct size as its be loaded  onto  the forum page?.

Dan, that's something to look into, I'll get back to you on that!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »
Since finding imgbb.com, I have not had any trouble posting photos.  I find it pretty easy to use and it works.

Problems with the board?  I find it is kinda difficult to find threads that have not been used in a while, especially figuring out what general topic they were included under.  Else, not too many problems.  The new, improved format (if that's the correct word) took me a while to catch on to, but I make no claim to being very computer literate.  30 or 40 years ago, I thought I was pretty sharp, but computers have moved on since then but I haven't.  And I don't really care.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
I have never liked the setup here. I'm on muzzleloadingforum.com and find it much more user friendly.

Can you be specific about what parts of the setup you dislike please?
It's just the overall feel. Others have sufficiently pointed out the differences with other forums.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
Stick with us brother! Changes are afoot!

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »
With regards to the photo posting, is there such a thing that the webmaster could install that self adjusts the photo to the correct size as its be loaded  onto  the forum page?.

Dan, that's something to look into, I'll get back to you on that!

Dan, here is the answer from our forum administrator;

Rob is there anything in the forums hosting board that has an automatic picture sizing that can be added to the photo attachment upload?

in a word, no.  ALR links to a 3rd party image archive that's similar to imgur.  this means that images that are in ALR forum threads are not stored on the ALR forum server, and if that 3rd party archive server goes belly up, or pulls a fast one as pukebucket did, all the ALR posted images from that 3rd party source are gone.  not a good thing, and imho this is not the way to go.

the problem with using attached post images, that are stored on the TMA server, is that most of these images are mega large.  for the most part we can blame that on cellphones and digital cameras, where the idea is that large images are needed to make prints.  i doubt that even .1% of users are interested in hard copy images.

so you have a 4000 wide image that runs 8megs or so to upload as an attachment and what might happen is the the upload will browser time out because of YOUR poor bandwidth connection.  no one wants to edit their images, or cares to, or knows how to create more meaningful digital dimensions.  1024 (hex) width is really quite large enuf, and most would be better off with 800 pixels wide.   the other issue with large uploaded images is that they eat up server space.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Spotted Bull

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »
So using imgur.com is the beat way to go. I use my phone a lot on the forum, and they have an app that I use.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
Good news folks! There's been some behind the scenes work going on that I wanted to let you in on. Currently, we are going through the boards and removing old posts with broken links or photobucket crashed pictures and the like. This is freeing up space on our server.  Robd has added the capacity to attach gigantic pictures to your posts.

And most importantly, once the cleanup has been done, the entire forum (mostly) will get an overhaul that will make finding what you are looking for much easier! New boards and new categories and all that jazz.

We are even looking into adding a new coat of paint and changing the color scheme and window dressing and what-not. Make it prettier, I reckon.

But you will have to pardon our dust during construction. The BOD is excited about. We hope that you will be as well!

Watch your topknot!
Spotted Bull

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
 :hairy It sounds exciting!  I'm glad we have Rob (and others) to do all this technological stuff.  A BIG thank you from this technophobe!  :yessir:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
Yeah Kees, me too.  Especially the technophobe part.

And to think, I used to be a programmer.  Man, that was a while ago.  Now, if my keyboard and my mouse work, I'm just as happy as a clam in the sand.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
Now, I just looked at that previous post and it got me to wondering - what happened?
By comparing my starting 6/20/2020 number of posts to my current posts, it appears that I have lost 289????
Man, at this rate, I'll be back to 0 posts in no time at all.
But, this is all computerish so I do not understand what is going on one little, tiny bit.   :bigsmile:

John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
John with all the pruning of posts that has been going on, we never thought about it impacting this contest. We will talk about that directly.

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
OK, thank you David.  Appreciate your looking into that.
Also, it seems like I have been registered here as Bigsmoke since day 1, and then a little while back (maybe when I paid my dues) I reverted to my actual name of John Shorb.  If'n I had my druthers, I'd rather be listed as Bigsmoke.  ??????
Be well.
John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
I can fix that.

I think.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »
By comparing my starting 6/20/2020 number of posts to my current posts, it appears that I have lost 289????

Worse than that, now!  You went from 4577 to 4180, so you're down another 108 posts.   :o :o :o

And to think, I used to be a programmer.  Man, that was a while ago.  Now, if my keyboard and my mouse work, I'm just as happy as a clam in the sand.

Me too!  I learned machine language programming when I got a two-year degree in electronics technology.  When the PCs came out I learned to program in Basic.  I've used confusers at work for years until I retired, and taught others how to do so as well.  Now I am still using Windows Vista because I don't want to have to learn how to use the latest, greatest upgrade....  :Doh! :laffing

~Kees~

NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »
Visually it's not the easiest to use....and I got good vision!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"