Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Would it raise any eye brows?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
Would it raise any eye brows?
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
Okay supposition and hypothetical here. Suppose you were instantly transported back to 1820 with any number of rifles - Pedersoli Frontier, Lyman Great Plains flint lock TC Flintlock - although not a copy of a specific rifle would any of these rifles be so out of place that the denizans would raise eyebrows and think they were out of place? Just curious - striving for historical accuracy may be a goal of many people but are these guns so wrong looking people would think - Wow, where did he come from? :horse
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: Would it raise any eye brows?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:08 AM »
Interesting question. I think 1820's people would only take passing notice of the bright brass finished TC, the others wouldn't cause too much inspection. These modern rifles were not produced to endear themselves to purists, but to fill a demand for sturdy, reasonable priced rifles. With some iron wear from Track or other suppliers a TC can look more "old timey". When I was a lad, if a new boy scout came to the meeting with only a few uniform items on, we didn't belittle him or fault him for not being BSA from nose to toes. We were glad for another enthusiast showing up, and welcomed him.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
Interesting question indeed!
This PC / HC question has been around since long before the Bicentennial of 1976, although many feel that's where it got its big start...prior to that, there were plenty of other things to argue about, and argue we did.
In the late sixties and early seventies there was very little "readily available" reference material, and the owner of a book like The Cap Lock Rifle by Maj.Ned Roberts was considered the subject matter expert on Muzzleloaders.

Of course other books were available, but that required a trip to the Library and research....something buckskinners of the day had very little time for, so word of mouth became gospel, much like it would have back in 1820.

As far as the question itself, "would a modern day muzzle loader raise any eye brows?"......I don't think so, perhaps a bit of curiosity, especially from those with a small disposable income....would it shoot a little better, would it cost any more, and would it increase status real or imagined?

I think the question of how a little ol' percussion cap, something that had been around for only a few years and they had likely only heard of in 1820, how was this little jewel going to replace a recognized, time honored ignition system of flint & frizzen?
Now that would have raised more eyebrows than a coiled spring, shinny stock, or brass, at least in my mind.

I also think GH nailed it when he said there was NEED for a sturdy, and reasonable priced rifle....that "need" has never changed from day one, it existed then, even before "then", and it exists today.

Just one person's thoughts, and I'm sure we all have our own personal thoughts on this subject.

Uncle Russ
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
Can't remember which brand, but I've seen a gun or two with philips head screws. That might get a few of them talking. You'd have to take your own screw driver with you also.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
HC/PC is a modern concept and our forefathers didn't know and didn't care about the subject.  A century from now, the HC/PC "experts" will be arguing over whether their current guns are correct versions of the "original" T/Cs, Pedersoli and GPRs.

Other than casual interest no eyebrow would be raised any higher than if you were wearing a new hat.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
imho, almost no one in 1820 would care about or question the appearance of a 20th/21st century "modern" repro that reasonably depicts an 1820's or earlier long gun.  these firearms will all very reasonably look like a long gun of the times.  and ... if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's a duck. :)

Offline Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
Hmm...welp, I kindda think that they would raise a few eyebrows, just like our eyebrows raise when we see a rifle that we haven't seen before.  Not really a bad thing or a "Burn The Witch" thing...more of a How does she hold...how does she shoot? thing.  There could be no HC/PC element in the conversations...the folks wouldn't know they were looking at a 20th Century rifle because, well...there hadn't been a 20th Century yet!  ;)  I bet some of those old boys would be asking for the gun makers name! :)
Just MHO.
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
I would agree with  the others ., I don’t think they would have seen any real issues other then the cap ignition  like Uncle Russ mentioned .
Style wise , there were enough different gun designs  around that I feel most folks would have just  looked at them as  probably made by some un recognized maker or a makers new model .

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
I would agree with  the others ., I don’t think they would have seen any real issues other then the cap ignition  like Uncle Russ mentioned .
Style wise , there were enough different gun designs  around that I feel most folks would have just  looked at them as  probably made by some un recognized maker or a makers new model .

precisely put, sir.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »
My only thought would be that if they saw several of the same model on the shelf in a shoppe they would have marveled at the consistency between them and wondered just how the maker managed that.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
My only thought would be that if they saw several of the same model on the shelf in a shoppe they would have marveled at the consistency between them and wondered just how the maker managed that.

how true, how true!  :toast

Offline HumBum

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
So just as these rifles are less expensive than hand made rifles today which is the reason many people today buy them, because that's what they can afford, people of those days would marvel at the lower cost and probably buy more of them, as long as they were sturdy and could shoot straight. I love the artistry of hand made goods but I do not own many of the things I would love to have for my camp for the simple reason I can not afford them. Although mass production took a lot of the person touches out of products it also brought to the table many things common folks would never have dreamed of owning.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
Quote from: "HumBum"
So just as these rifles are less expensive than hand made rifles today which is the reason many people today buy them, because that's what they can afford, people of those days would marvel at the lower cost and probably buy more of them, as long as they were sturdy and could shoot straight. I love the artistry of hand made goods but I do not own many of the things I would love to have for my camp for the simple reason I can not afford them. Although mass production took a lot of the person touches out of products it also brought to the table many things common folks would never have dreamed of owning.

Tremendous wisdom in that short statement!
Welcome to the TMA forum, HumBum  
 :hairy

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
actualy if we went on cost  comparissions then probably these rifles would be  in the relm of Trade guns  both rifles and smoothbores  of that time

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
reliable long guns that are cost effective will outsell the one-offs simply due to mass public appeal.  

same for back in the day, same for today.