Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shredded Patches  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Shredded Patches
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »
Watch out for the pillow ticking , i dont know if you cut your own but the new stuff isn't that great, one of my friends bought some and shreds like crazy , than he use some of my old stuff and holds together, after comparing the new stuff you could see thru it even after being washed .

You're absolutely right!  :bl th up
When it comes to patches it's all about thread count. Bargain brand ticking should not even get consideration....too many stores carry a lot of different materials nowadays in the name of saving you a Buck or two. Don't be taken in by that.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
Watch out for the pillow ticking , i dont know if you cut your own but the new stuff isn't that great, one of my friends bought some and shreds like crazy , than he use some of my old stuff and holds together, after comparing the new stuff you could see thru it even after being washed .

You're absolutely right!  :bl th up
When it comes to patches it's all about thread count. Bargain brand ticking should not even get consideration....too many stores carry a lot of different materials nowadays in the name of saving you a Buck or two. Don't be taken in by that.

Uncle Russ...

I kinda remember hearing or reading about some pillow ticking now having poly in it. Always best to check to make sure it's 100% cotton.

With this said, at one time I thought someone posted a link to where you could buy 100% cotton pillow ticking in different weights/thickness online. Anyone remember that also? I never saved the link.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:29:11 AM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 03:01:20 AM »
I believe Dutch recommends #40 drill cloth as part of his system.  It's usually available at Joann's fabric store,  usually near the pillow ticking. A few years back I purchased Dutch's materials and got into his system and found it to be very good. The drill cloth is 100 percent cotton and very tough, and most I have found mikes at around 0.018 thickness.
On a somewhat related note, I was in Joann's a couple days ago  and they wanted $15 a yard for ticking, which seemed crazy to me. Just a couple of weeks before it was $6 a yard.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
I've been using mattress ticking (.022") for a good while and still like it and have plenty of it.  Lately have been trying denim (.025" +) and like it even more.  It's tight but quite manageable with the wood underbarrel rod.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.