Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Chain-fire in CB revolver?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline flintlockmdj

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
Fletcher,  I have used C&B revolvers for years and I don't think that you can get enough powder in the cylenders to make the ball losten from recoil, maybe in the Walker bot not in another style Colt or r Remington, and yes I know Walker is a Colt.
In the beginning God...

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:24 PM »
Question from a CB newb.  I've had a New Model Navy repro (steel frame) for several years; I got it off eBay when they still let you buy/sell firearms--I wanted something close to the originals used in the historical research I was doing.  My question is, when you have a chain fire, and multiple cylinders ignite, do the balls go flying out of those cylinders?  What's generally the end result?

This summer, when I visit back to the States, I hope to use mine for the first time.  I will take extra care to make sure the chances of a chain fire are minimized.  However, unforeseen things do happen.
Member #424

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
Just got some new stainless nipples for my squareback Colt Colt Navy. Bought from trackofthewolf.com. They are meant to fit No. 11 caps. The neat thing is, I have a lot of RWS/old Navy Arms  caps which are No.11, make a nice tight fit on the nipples.

Tight caps are most important to prevent chain fires. Old pepperboxes chain fire regularly from losse fitting caps.

I could not find a brand of No. 10 caps that would fit tight on the nipples of the gun as-produced.

Make sure your caps fit tight on the nipples.
Wear shooting glasses.
Make sure your caps fit tight on the nipples.
If you are really concerned, wear Depends(R) as well.
But do make sure your caps fit tight on the nipples.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:31:34 PM »
Yes, when you have a chain-fire, multiple balls are discharged. If you think about it, the combustion isn't complete because in effect, the barrel length is only the cylinder length, thus, the ball doesn't have much power.
Still a scary thing to happen, but not as dangerous as some would indicate.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline flintlockmdj

• TMA Forum Member
Chain Fire
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »
I have been shooting BP since '73 and just last week saw the first chain fire.  Two cylinders in my sons '60 army went off at the same time.
In the beginning God...

Offline Mike 56

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
I saw a cap and ball double once it was a friend of mine shooting. He loads powder and ball no grease and uses #11 caps and does not squeeze them. I have seen him shoot hundreds of times and he only chain fired once. I think a loose fitting cap that fell off. I load my 51 Colt and 58 Remington with 18gr Goex fff then fill the cylinder the rest of the way with grits and a .454 ball. I put a little Crisco over the ball not to prevent a chain fire but to keep the fouling soft. I like to use #10 Remington caps they fit my guns the best #10 CCI caps fit to tight for my guns. When i can't find #10 Remingtion caps i use #11 CCI caps and give them a good pinch.
Mike

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Chain Fire
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 09:24:45 AM »
Quote from: "flintlockmdj"
I have been shooting BP since '73 and just last week saw the first chain fire.  Two cylinders in my sons '60 army went off at the same time.

I've been shooting 25 plus years and have yet to see/experience one. I believe there have been more Wampus cat sightings than chain fires  :lol:
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
There's a Wampus cat in my back yard right now, chasing that d---- red squirrel.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline flintlockmdj

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
Quote from: "Stryker"

I've been shooting 25 plus years and have yet to see/experience one. I believe there have been more Wampus cat sightings than chain fires  :lol:

I dont know how many Wampus cats you have seen but I have definately seen one chain fire.
In the beginning God...

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »
Quote from: "Stryker"

I've been shooting 25 plus years and have yet to see/experience one. I believe there have been more Wampus cat sightings than chain fires  :shock:  And no, I don't drink and shoot. I'm a tee-totaler myself except for the occaisional glass of wine.
Mark

Offline quigleysharps4570

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "FG1"
I think you are more apt to get a chain fire from loose fitting caps on nipples.

One would think it would happen everytime then.

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
Not if you are using the correct size caps. If your caps are loose you are using the wrong caps--it's that simple. I've been firing these guns for half a century now and I haven't had a chain-fire yet.
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 08:04:34 AM »
I think using the right caps, and balls that cut a lead ring is the most important thing!

I usually start putting crisco over the chambers, but usually end up forgetting. I have never had chain fire, but think they are easily prevented.

Loose fitting caps, and loose balls could be a real problem!
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »
Interesting article in this month's muzzleblast on chain fires by the Bevel Brothers.
Mark

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:39 PM »
I dont know how many Wampus cats you have seen but I have definately seen one chain fire.

I've never seen a Wampus cat, and I'm curious as to how they might chain-fire. Or perhaps it's best not to know...
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member