Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What would be the most efficient cal.?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
What would be the most efficient cal.?
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
I really am trying to sort this out in my head. Those with experience with a .58 cal. 1:48 twist,

From a good barrel would a .58 cal. with a 1:48 twist shoot a conical and a RB with accuracy, or should you just go one way or the other and not try to split the diff?

Thanks ahead of time for all the accumulated wisdom :)
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
I would think that with a .58 you have plenty of lead, and a bullet would not be needed I would go for a good ball load and get to know it well.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
Frankly, I have always viewed 1:48 as a compromise rate of twist.  It will shoot either style projectile pretty good, but the slower twist is better for round ball, the faster is better for conical.
With that all said, I did used to do pretty good with my old Renegade shooting with a round ball.  Won quite a few matches back in the day.  Now if I can keep up with Two Steps I am doing pretty good.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
I had thought about a .62 RB, but when I look for molds the .58 is ubiquitous, there is everything from a rb, to a minni ball, and everything in-between.

I know a 1:48 is kinda middle of the road but I do here that some get pretty good accuracy for both bullet and rb, I would like the efficacy of a rifle that could do both with aplomb. :)
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
 May 12, 1779

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
If you are talking about buying a new gun/barrel and using it for hunting I would go with a .54/.58 and the slow twist to match. I would not build a new gun with a compromise barrel.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
When I saw "most efficient cal" in the topic line, I was preparred for a donnybrook!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
Kermit Said:
When I saw "most efficient cal" in the topic line, I was preparred for a donnybrook!

Hmm...donnybrook...Seems like I've heard of them, but don't have one...how do ya like it?   :|
AL
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
ok, let us in on the joke. or rather me. whats  a donnybrook?
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
 May 12, 1779

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »
I've got two .58's, both with 1-72 twist. 1 is a Hawken, 37" Getz barrel, hit all 4 bears at a silhouette match[200yds] in the same spot on the shoulder[a feat NEVER to be repeated by me....EVER!!!!! :evil: ] and a "Marshall" style with a 38" barrel. It holds a 1" group off the bench at 75yds[best these old eye's can do any more]. I guess for my money I'd stick with the slow twist and round ball. As far as moulds go,Dixie,Jeff Tanner and Rapine can make what ya need. I don't think conicals and breech loaders will ever catch on, IMHO!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
caliber
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »
Well good question, Wyo.
I live in E. KY., so most of my hunting are in the hills of App..
Mostly Whitetail, I like to target shoot but only as a second to hunting and getting ready to hunt. One of these days would like to go west,(My sister lives in Colorado), and hunt Elk, I have read some of the regs out there and they are pretty specific and restrictive as to projectiles used for black powder.
I would also like to hunt bear and hog with it eventually. I fear I suffer from the same thing that Mark Davidson suffers from Magnumitis. I like big guns and big projectiles. But I also suffer from an acute efficiency syndrome, I guess do to my sparse upbringing, and the fact that sometimes one gun had to wear many hats. In this changing socioeconomic society were somethings may be taken away from us sorry to say. I would like to have a rifle that I could use a ball or a slug in with equality.

I know, this animal may no exist, but you asked. So I am just letting you know what I was thinking. I know with my eye sights and iron sights, my shots would be limited to <or equal to 100 yds.
On a side note I would eventually like to match my rifle with a good pistol, most I have seen on the Internet do not exceed .54 cal., I would want to match it with the cal. of my rifle for obvious reasons.  
Thanks guys for your responses.
jack :)
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
 May 12, 1779

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
I've got two .58's, both with 1-72 twist. 1 is a Hawken, 37" Getz barrel, hit all 4 bears at a silhouette match[200yds] in the same spot on the shoulder[a feat NEVER to be repeated by me....EVER!!!!! :evil: ] and a "Marshall" style with a 38" barrel. It holds a 1" group off the bench at 75yds[best these old eye's can do any more]. I guess for my money I'd stick with the slow twist and round ball. As far as moulds go,Dixie,Jeff Tanner and Rapine can make what ya need. I don't think conicals and breech loaders will ever catch on, IMHO!
Thanks Pathfinder. I was leaning pretty hard toward a .62 with a slow twist, I think the major consensus is a RB with slot twist.
I am thinking that .62 would be sufficient for elk in the 100 yd range?
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
 May 12, 1779

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
cal.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »
Thanks Wyo.
I consider your opinions as definitive. I think you have convinced me to go with a .62 with either Forsyth or round bottom rifling, I may even go with a butt pad that accommodates heavy loads wether it be historically correct or not, or maybe there is a butt pad out there that is between the crescent so oft seen and a flat one.
Thanks to all for your thoughts on the matter.
Jack
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
 May 12, 1779

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
Jack,
Just to add in on this, I agree with the .62 caliber concept.  Up until 10 - 12 years ago, I was a pretty staunch .54 cal guy.  Then the big bore bug bit. (say that 10 times fast).
My "shooter" is a .62 cal Sporting Rifle style gun, with a 32" tapered octagonal barrel, rifled 1:104, .006" deep.  It has a steel flat buttplate (available from TOW).
A similar rifle I chronographed with 200 grains GOEX Cartridge powder at 1,994 fps.  Normally for target work, I shoot 135 grains Ffg.  That gives me minimal recoil.
I will take a photo of it and post later.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
to answer someone-a "donnybrook" is a brawl/fight
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »
You will have plenty of gun with a .58 PRB for Elk at 100 yds, I don't know what all you have around to hunt but a .62 smoothbore is a good gun for Deer and big game out to 50=60 yds and as a scatter gun will take Turkey, Tree rats and such