Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cornmeal for denser patterns????  (Read 672 times)

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
Cornmeal for denser patterns????
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »
Anybody try using cornmeal or similar filler to concentrate your patterns?   I especially would like to know of results with a filler without the use of shotcups or plastic :( -wads.    Thanks for any help!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »
I've heard that too, but have never tried it. Cream of Wheat has been mentioned too. Wanna do some research and report back to us? Inquiring minds want to know!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
Sky, I have used cornmeal as a "buffering" agent in my .69 when shooting shot.

I have always heard that you should mix cornmeal and shot on a 50/50 basis by volume...ie, 1.25 oz of corn meal, should, in theory, equal 1.25oz of shot.
However, with out mixing it on a 1:1 basis in a "paper shot cartridge" it simply is not going to work....even by pouring it down the barrel on top of the shot. the cornmeal is so fine it will settle to the bottom, and lay on top, every time...even with a few good slaps on the barrel, and a couple of thumps with the butt plate on the ground. And, it can not get to the sides of the shot if the shot is poured first.

So, what I've done over time is put  the cornmeal in its own little paper cartridge at at a ratio of 1.75oz(by volume) of corn meal, which is opened and dumped over 1.25oz (by volume)of shot, and the paper the corn meal was in is then added on top before the Over-Shot wad is applied....at the same time I have reduced my powder load from 85gr FFg to 70gr FFg.

(Now, why didn't I just roll a paper cartridge with the corn meal and shot inside?.....I have done that, but the transport of such a cartridge allows the cornmeal to do it's trick again, and it is all for naught. )

I started experimenting about 6 or 7 years ago, when Captchee and I discussed shot column height in muzzleloaders on another forum at that time. The important thing to remember here is the longer the shot column (including any additives, CoW, Corn Meal, Grits, or whatever) the more the necessity to adjust the powder charge.....any additives, including any buffering agent, can "blow" the pattern.

The secret, if such can be said, is adjusting the powder charge to the pattern.....too much powder will blow a large hole in the center of the pattern, not enough powder will leave holes on the both the center and fringes of the pattern.

It is a very time consuming process to get a balanced load when using a buffer of any kind....the end result of all this has led me to avoid using fillers / buffers, and shooting just plain shot. However, it can be worked out if one has the patience, and determination.

Just my thoughts......

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
Russ I don't think that the time and fuss is worth it. I'll just continue to adjust my powder and shot for the best pattern.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
Russ I don't think that the time and fuss is worth it. I'll just continue to adjust my powder and shot for the best pattern.
Gordy, After several years playing with this idea, I have joined many others in going with just straight shot....not to say the buffered shot thing won't actually work in giving better patterns, it's just that I personally have not been able to make it work as it should in a ML....or at least, as it does in a modern factory loaded shot shell, or a shot-shell reload.

Having said all that, I still encourage everybody to give it a try. It will give you a wake-up call on patterns and powder charges. And I find that a good thing.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »
I have had no problem with plain shot over cushion wad.  I think I will try some high density, high temperature plastic cups that I got for shooting steel in ML.  I will still use the cushion wad behind that to soften the impact and insulate the hot gas.

I think I will continue to use cornmeal for denser pancakes  ;)
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
Through the years I have used just about everything one can think of .
 Corn meal , baking soda . For cushions , I have used Oats , cork ,  horse hair ,  paper , wasp nest, modern cushions ,   I think the real  reasoning behind the corn meal has to do with the shot itself , not  so much as a cushion . Though it does work for that .
 See  if your making your own shot , then  you need to lubricate it .  So as  Uncle Russ said , mix it 1 to 1 . However this does add for a large shot column so some adjustment is needed .
  But past that , even when the corn meal settles through the shot column , it  leaves some residue on the  shot itself
 However if you lubricate you drip shot with  graphite , like  modern shot is . Then there is no real need for the cornmeal other the a shot cushion  .
 Now this isnt to say non lubricated shot will not shoot  a good group , I t will  once you find the load .

Myself , like the others  have said . I have gone to the use of cards  and wads . In some cases , no wads at all .   Just like  with a rifle , you have to work a load for your particular gun .
 Once you have that . You can then work a load for each different size of shot  . IF you  change shot sizes for different birds .

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:08 PM »
My paper cartridges using manufactured chilled shot seem to work fine, so no need to work on making the pattern denser than it is...,m but I haven't done turkey yet either.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.