Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Duplex or Triplex Shot Loads  (Read 722 times)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
Duplex or Triplex Shot Loads
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
Have any of you tried mixing shot ie #4 and #6 or even #2 #4 and #6
What were your results. I'm looking for info on fairly heavy loads for turkey 1 1/2 ounce shot
Thanks
Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »
Mixing shot sizes has never made any sense to me. If the smaller shot size has adequate energy/penetration then mixing in a larger shot size just reduces the number of effective pellets in your load, making for less hits on target.  

Same thing goes if the smaller shot size is NOT adequate.  You are shooting a reduced load of the larger size pellets since the smaller pellets essentially don't count.

Various shotshell makers have tried to market the concept but dropped it pretty quickly as it just doesn't pan out.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
I have never had much luck with "mixed" shot...seems the heaver shot try's to overtake the smaller shot in flight and destroys the pattern, it's never consistent ...just like the so called experts said would happen.

Like many others, my mind kept telling me this is a great idea and I simply don't believe it won't work, besides many people are telling me this makes a great hunting load.

Then I started actually using a large sheet of butcher paper, marked like one would a 36" round pie when cutting it, or 7 equal parts within a circle with the center of that circle being your aiming point, I could actually count the number of hits, and where they were hitting....quadrants, I believe is the term.

Seems the experts were right. Mixed shot ie, 5's & 7's never showed a consistent pattern...straight 5's or 7's improved the pattern and was much more consistent.

Now, having said all that, I have to say your mileage may vary with this, considering different barrels, gauges, amount of shot, and chokes, along with wads, cushions, powder charge, etc, etc,....and I have add that pattering your smooth bore is actually a very pleasing thing....a real eye opener that will actually put you a step closer to really knowing your smoothie.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
Thanks fellows
Just looking for some thoughts before I mix up some shot and get bad results. I have plenty of # 6, #7 1/2 and #9 but the #2, #4 and #6 are in short supply around here

Thanks for the responses

More are welcome good or bad
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »
You will find that mixing shot of different size will destroy your pattern ,you will also find that the larger the bore size then the larger shot size shoots best and produces a better pattern.But then it all depends  which quarry you are going for ,you mention turkey well we do not have turkey here in the UK but for me it would be a 10 bore loaded with 3.1/4 drms of powder to 1.1/2 oz of No 3 shot.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
I have been using mixed shot in .40 smoothie"Ole Wormy" for years and have taken every critter I've shot at with her!!! My reason for using mixed shot is the fact that the modern shooters at my old club sold me all their sweepin's from the floor of their re-loading rooms real cheap. From 2-9's. never patterned her for fear  the experts would be right and I would never hit another squirrel,partridge,or rabbit again!!! :lol sign
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:40:45 PM »
I have a coffee cup filled with shot ranging from #9s to #5s and I mainly use it for 'plinking' loads.  It has worked on rabbits in the past but if I'm hunting serious I usually stick to Magnum #6 or Chilled #5 shot.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
Seems to me if you could getcher paws on some different mesh window screening, You might be able to sort the shot.

If I had access to a lot of floor sweepings like that I'd be down in the snake pit drilling holes in some sheet metal, then deburring 'em with a wire brush.   I'm willing to work a little bit to get free shootin' stuff.

I've got a roll of hard alumin(i)um flashing that'd work for that.  Measure some shot of each size and make a piece of  sieve with holes a thou or two larger.  Sift the littl'n's first.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
I have been using mixed shot in .40 smoothie"Ole Wormy" for years and have taken every critter I've shot at with her!!! My reason for using mixed shot is the fact that the modern shooters at my old club sold me all their sweepin's from the floor of their re-loading rooms real cheap. From 2-9's. never patterned her for fear  the experts would be right and I would never hit another squirrel,partridge,or rabbit again!!! :lol:  :happy

Dontcha just love it when ya can beat those so-called experts at their own game!

Sweepin's are sweet, don't change nothing....the balance of your pattern just may be in that quadrant that would have otherwise resulted in a miss.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:14 AM »
Thanks Russ, I knew someone would understand :shake
NRA life member
NMLRA