Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: squirrel cooker  (Read 2160 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
squirrel cooker
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
Does anyone in the TMA make and trade or sell a good quality sqirrel cooker with pouch?   ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »
O.K., what does a squirrel cooker look like? :oops:
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
'
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
Thats what I said on Sat. when my friend LB said "we could use my squirrel cooker".His was made out of 1/4 square stock about 16" long.One section pokes in the ground and at the top,the stock is twisted and flattened to make an elongated hole at about,oh I'd say 10-15 deg. to horizontal. Then the other piece is about the same length and has a fork on one end and a very neat little hook/loop on the other.The forked end is used for yer meat and then you can flip it around  and use a little piece of link to hold a small pot at various levels.And it all fit into a nice little leather pouch and thong tie.And of course it has decorative twists in it and such.I'll try and get a pix in the future.Slick as can be.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Mike Ameling

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »
Yes, they are handy.  I even have two I occasionally carry and use - at certain events.  

But, as far as I have seen/heard, they do not have any historical documentation to back them up.  They may be ... historically inspired ... but not based upon any original artifacts, paintings, or descriptions --- that I have seen or heard of so far.

The closest thing would be a Roasting Fork.  They were designed to roast or warm up meat in your fireplace.  They generally had two tines, a long handle, and two attached legs near the fork end - to hold it up when set next to the fire.  The long handle balanced the meat on the other end, and rests on the ground or floor.  

Separate individual roasting forks or skewers, yes.  Just not a combination with a holder to stick in the ground.  But they sure are handy.

So I personally seldom carry/use one.  And it becomes a matter of personal choice if you wish to use one.  Although, the have become ... accepted ... by many pretty strict groups and juried events.  Accepted ...

Just my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:34:08 AM »
They look like this,
Brian I have one ifn' ya' wants to see it. Let me know and I will bring it along to the next shoot....let me see now, where did I put that.....
[/img]

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »
ridjrunr,
   Don't look all that complex.....I would think about
any smithy could put one together for you. Check the
Links section...might help. :idea:
Also try http://www.blksmth.com
snake-eyes
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
l
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
I agree snake eyes, but wanted to shop here first if possible.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
I got mine from http://www.turkeyfootllc.com  their prices are laughingly, ridiculously low.  I mean so low I thought they were kidding.

Of course, it took me a long time to find 'em 'cause I was looking for a "Bird Fork" not a "Squirrel Incinerator"

And as for any 'smith making one, don't be so sure.  A bird fork is one of those things that is incredibly simple while simultaneously and at the same time  difficult to make so it actually works.  I have two custom made bird fork/squirrel incinerators that are basically material for upcoming projects.

Anyhow, tell 'em at Turkeyfoot Trading that I sent you.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
That is pretty neat lookin' Tim! It is a shame you can't use it to cook up all them bats dyin' around your place. :oops:
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
l
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
Yes Three Hawks,I realize there is good and bad of these.Twas pointed out to me this past weekend at da voo. 8) ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
Re: l
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
Yes Three Hawks,I realize there is good and bad of these.Twas pointed out to me this past weekend at da voo. 8) ridjrunr

I was surfing around Turkeyfoot's site and ended up ordering some stuff I had no idea I wanted and could no longer live without. Dang you anyway !

Back to the Squirrel Incinerator.  PC or not, I love boudins and those little game hens  cooked in front of a campfire on the dang thing.  It's like a pre-1840 microwave oven.  Set it and forget it.  

I was reminded of the "olde fashyndde reflectynnge fyre" by a good friend who usually builds one to cook with his squirrel incinerator and heat his diamond fly at the same time.  I (re)started building my fire the same way pointed into my 10x12 wall tent.  I am always somewhat amazed and gratified at the amount of heat reflected into the tent.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »
I was thinking (sharrup areddy, I do too think!) 'bout "Squirrel Incinerator" being a tad harsh.  So henceforth since it's allegedly pre-1840 I'm gonna call it the "Scorch-a-Squirrel, M39".

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
Quote from: "griz"
They look like this,
Brian I have one ifn' ya' wants to see it. Let me know and I will bring it along to the next shoot....let me see now, where did I put that.....
[/img]

I would like to see it Tim, that may be something I can play around with when I get my forge set-up.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
k
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
melsdad,do you have a blower for the forge yet?  ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
Heck fellas, ya can make that with a torch and small piece of rail and a vise!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"