Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Navy Arms SXS? Quality/Worth?  (Read 936 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
Navy Arms SXS? Quality/Worth?
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:14 AM »
I saw a Navy Arms 12 guage SxS in a gunshop yesterday. It appeared to be either new or "like new".  Are the Navy Arms doubles good shotguns or medium quality or to be avoided regardless of price or what?   Also, about what should a mint one be worth?  Any info. will be much appreciated.

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
I have seen one that I thought was in very good condition going for $500 a couple of years ago.  I bought one that was in good condition for $275 and got it converted to flint. Mine was made by Pieta (sp?) for Navy Arms.  Took my turkey last fall with it.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
The one I saw was in SUPER condition. I figure $300 would buy it and $275 probably would. The price was right. My main concern was quality. I got a fowler being built and really do not need the SxS but if the quality is good and the price is right then I would not pass up the purchase.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
The Navy Arms sxs is good strong robust gun,some are a rather thick at the wrist  but for a work gun or a gun for a upland game  it should be OK.it will also  do for clays .
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken houise door

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
yep . i would agree with feltwwad .  they are very reasonable . little havy but reasonable

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »
2004 Blue Book lists it as last MSR=$580

100%=525
98%= 415
90%= 310
80%= 250
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »
There have  been several of these guns come up at auctions here in the UK with an average price secondhand for £100 to £120 although I have seen some sold for as little as £50.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
Quote from: "Feltwad"
There have  been several of these guns come up at auctions here in the UK with an average price secondhand for £100 to £120 although I have seen some sold for as little as £50.
Feltwad

As of 2:26 PM PDT today, Aprl 23,09  £120 is $177.00.

As Muzzleloaders are not considered to be "firearms" in Washington State,  I could buy a dozen good condition muzzleloading shotguns and rifles in the UK to sell here.  

I could have someone do this on my behalf for an agreed upon fee, have the guns carefully crated then sent via UPS  or Fed-Ex to my door.  I could actually afford to do this as long as up front expenses don't exceed about $1500.

What are the export regulations in the UK regarding that kind of deal?  To which official agency would one address the question?

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »
Three Hawks .As you will most likely know the gun laws are a lot stricter here in the UK .
I have never sent any gun out of the UK but I would say that it would involve a dealer with a R.F.D and also the Import ,Export License Dept . London
Feltwad