Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: FFg in a small bore ?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
Which model CVA? Not one of those horrid inline abominations I hope.

What's an inline ? ;)
It's a CVA "Plainsman" I wouls say it's the forerunner to the Traditions "Deerslayer" possibly a heavier barrel.I would hazard a guess that it had  never been shot.

Cheers Bob.
BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
Quote from: "nessy357"
What's an inline ? :roll eyes  :rotf
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »
Yep, I love my inline Jeep 4.0L
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
You might find that Swiss FFg is fast enuff to suit well in a small bore. Works fine for me in my .40 flint Pedersoli.
At the same grain size, Swiss is a faster powder than is GOEX.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
What's an inline ? ;)
Cheers Bob.

It's the biggest internal combustion engine in the world.    2 cycle Turbocharged,  14 cyl.  1M bore, 3M stroke.  108,920 bhp at 102 rpm max.   Weighs in at a svelte 4,600,000 pounds.  Burns a bit less than 1500 gals. of diesel oil per hour and is the most fuel efficient prime mover on the planet.

Gerry
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline nessy357

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
Yoy guys got to get out more , I seen one of the inlines with the "sympathetic stock" didn't get too close to it, poor guy looked like he was ashamed of it  :oops:

Cheers Bob.
BC Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]

TMA member 326

Expires Feb 4 2011

Load fast shoot slow.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
Yoy guys got to get out more , I seen one of the inlines with the "sympathetic stock" didn't get too close to it, poor guy looked like he was ashamed of it  :oops:

Cheers Bob.

As well he should be.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
I am with Captchee on the Alexander article--while I buy most of his argument against priming horns [and for day horns, etc] I think his dates are off a bit.  They had different grades [sieve size ranges] of powder way back.  However, ffg or its equivalent was called "rifle powder" into modern times.  It is comparatively recently that fffg has taken over among modern shooters for most rifle bores.  In the 18th cent, which alot of us are interested in as reenactors, the standard or common powder for rifles and muskets was like a mixture of what today we'd call fg and ffg according to some accounts.  It was used for loads and priming. I think DuPont had standardized the f series grades in the early 19th cent?  But ffg was still "rifle powder".   It works in all calibers, but may not give the best performance [in modern standards] in all rifles...
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
I converted to 3F in my .50 T-C Hawken after I ran through two pounds of 2F trying to get the best accuracy I could.   I ran out of powder at a rondy and could only get 3F.   I filled my horn, went to the sight-in range and proceeded to find a load that far surpassed any I got with 2F after only five shots.  It made me a believer.  It's also the load I shoot to this day, 50 gr. 2F, .490" rb,  .015" cotton patch greased with 1K Wonder Lube, Lard, or Crisco.  

That's also when I began to understand that rifles tend toward individuality and really should have a load developed for each one.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
May I respectfully note that there is of course a difference in burning speed between FFg and FFFg;  there is also a considerable difference in speed between Swiss and GOEX of the same granulation.
IMHO it might be nice to note the brand of powder involved, as well as the number of "F's"
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Quote from: "James Kelly"
May I respectfully note that there is of course a difference in burning speed between FFg and FFFg;  there is also a considerable difference in speed between Swiss and GOEX of the same granulation.
IMHO it might be nice to note the brand of powder involved, as well as the number of "F's"

Good point.  As the only powder available to me is Goex, that's what I shoot.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
Regardless of all the theoretical and mathematical data available, whatever works best for each person is best for them no matter how odd or improbable it may seem to the rest of us.

Just remember that no mater how you crunch the numbers a bumble bee CAN NOT fly.  And yet there they are every summer doing just that.

Never get trapped by preconceptions or the philosophy of "Don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up." :bl th up  :hey-hey  :toast  :toast
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
Regardless of all the theoretical and mathematical data available, whatever works best for each person is best for them no matter how odd or improbable it may seem to the rest of us.

Just remember that no mater how you crunch the numbers a bumble bee CAN NOT fly.  And yet there they are every summer doing just that.

Never get trapped by preconceptions or the philosophy of "Don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up." :bl th up  :hey-hey  :toast  :toast

That reminds me of a sign a colleague of mine put up about twenty-some years ago, which read, "Those who say something can't be done are usually interrupted by those doing it."
Member #424

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
Don't like the valve on my brass priming widgit, have to clean it out daily to keep from leaking. Don't like leaky powder containers around my flintlock & uncomfortable with strongly made brass powder containers (very bad if go boom). Decided I'd make me an Authentic Priming Horn. After some study, including looking at photos of "priming horns" with measure & pick attached, decided I already have an authentic priming horn. It is about 12" long & contains, from time to time, either FFg or FFFg modern du Pont or Swiss. Not as fast as NullB but guess if I want fast I'll bring my .22 Yeah, I do well agree with above posts.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
Pics James? :?
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132