Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: How many F's?  (Read 944 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
How many F's?
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
As I think about ordering some more Swiss powder, wonder should I get FFg, "1-1/2F" or Fg, for my .40, .45 and .54 rifles?
I understand that Swiss is faster than GOEX or the anitquated du Pont I still use. Apparently Swiss is like a 19th century round ball powder, late 20th century du Pont and GOEX burn slower, appropriate to cartridge guns or ml's using an elongated bullet.

In the old days, Ned Roberts wrote about using Fg, just plain One F, in a .36 cal rifle. I suppose it was shooting picket balls (sugar loaf, elongated bullets) rather than round balls.
These days I hear about loads with FFg or FFFg, but NEVER Fg unless it is a crew-served weapon. With respect, some modern loads seem regarded as unsatisfactory unless they will shoot lengthwise through a buffalo. Useful for you Western guys, but we anin't got none (wild) in Michigan.
All I want to kill is paper & steel targets.
My question is--
Has anyone done a good comparison regarding accuracy versus granulation, in a specific powder brand?
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline FG1

• TMA Contributing Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
FFFG will fill the bill  :)
NRA Life Member

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »
Fg will probably burn slower and create lower pressures.

The only comparrison I have done was in an 8 bore rifle where 300 gr Fg yielded 1,425 fps and going up to Ffg increased the velocity to 1,535.  I don't know if it would have passed lengthwise through a bison, but it did ram a ball lengthwise through a 525 pound African lion.  It also dented almost to perforation a NMLRA spec bear silhouette at 200 yards.  A hardened bullet would have gone through.

Fg will also produce more fouling.

I see no problem with using Fg in a .54 except for the fouling and you might have to increase the amount of powder somewhat over a Ffg load to get the same results POI  and velocity wise that you are getting with a Ffg or Fffg charge.

To answer your last question - no, not me.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
Tried 1f in a .54 and a .58, and found I had to use more powder and the fouling was incredable, not worth the hassle unless it's free.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
I've got a .32, .40, and a .50 all like 3FG Goex.  A friend has a .50 and his does better with 2FG Goex.   What I draw from this and other's experiences is that each rifle is an individual and will do best with what it likes regardless of what Sir Percival Longtrigger Shootstraight III states unequivocally about the performance of 1.9F McDumple's Best Square Grain Sporting Powder in his World renowned monograph "Thoughts on The 2 Bore Triangular Barreled Flintcussion Ignition Paradox Gun, a Treatise In Four Volumes".

A feller in a club I shoot against uses 2FG in a .27cal flintlock long rifle and does very well indeed.

You'll have to do your own testing and find out.  

And trust me, not everyone Out West wants a gun and load which will shoot lengthwise through a bison.  If the ball  makes holes in the desired place on the target, rings the gong, or kills the deer, it's a good load.  

Three Hawks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:28:42 PM by Three Hawks »
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »
8) "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:36:14 PM »
I use 1.5Fg in my .54 to great effect. Fouling is not bad at all  and it is quite accurate. You know Jim you are welcome to try the some before you order. I'll bring it down on Tuesday.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, where are you Michiganders getting your powder from?
Member #424

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »
I use FFFg in all my guns from my squirrel gun that shoots 108 balls/lb. to my Baker Rifle that shoots 20 balls/lb. as well as my pistols that shoot 55 balls/lb.  However, I shoot FFg in my smooth bore trade gun that also shoots 20 balls/lb.

Regardless of what powder grade you use the objective is the best accuracy.  If you want to shoot Fg powder and you can work up a load you're happy with then go for it.  
 :toast
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:42:01 AM »
I'm pretty much the same as Sir Michael.  I use 3F in everything from .32 to .58.  Generally you use less than you would of 2F for the same performance so fouling is less.

As far as accuracy comparisons from one granulation to the next, I have not heard of any.  Some people say that some of their larger caliber rifles prefer 2F over 3F for accuracy but that's as far as I've heard.  Every rifle is different and you have to work up a load the particular rifle likes and that can vary from rifle to rifle even with the same granulation and caliber.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

I'm fortunate to live 15 minutes from a black powder shop., Spring Brook Trading Post in Eaton Rapids Mi. I get all my BP supplies there
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
Quote from: "bluelake"
I order from Powder Inc.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »
BlueLake--here in Southeastern Michigan, this particular 'gander gets his powder locally either at Kenockee Trading Post, Avoca, for Swiss or GOEX, and at the Flint & Frizzen shop, Clarkston, for Swiss or Scheutzen. I have also dealt with powderinc for Swiss & been quite satisfied.
Appreciate all of the comments.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Thanks, guys.  As my hometown is in the northern part of the LP, there isn't the variety of shops as in the southern part.  I may end up just ordering the powder, and paying the attached hazmat fee, shipping, etc., as driving south to pick it up would cost quite a bit more.  Unless, of course, anyone knows of a bp shop above M-55...

T
Member #424

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Quote from: "James Kelly"
BlueLake--here in Southeastern Michigan, this particular 'gander gets his powder locally either at Kenockee Trading Post, Avoca, for Swiss or GOEX, and at the Flint & Frizzen shop, Clarkston, for Swiss or Scheutzen. I have also dealt with powderinc for Swiss & been quite satisfied.
Appreciate all of the comments.

Carbon copy here. I have used all three and been happy with them all.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80