Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Question about TC's barrels with the QL counterbore?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
Question about TC's barrels with the QL counterbore?
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
What is the general opinion of the QL Counterbore, that was offered on some of the Thompson Center barrels. I guess that is what is was called, I can't remember for sure, but I have one on a TC Hawken. It has the end of the barrel counterbored out for a little bit to aid in easy loading.

I ordered mine from Midsouth, or Midway, etc. a few years ago. It was a 54 cal, roundball twist and says so on the barrel. I thought they were made by Thompson Center, and mine  is so marked on the barrel, but I seen one exactly like it at a gunshow today, and was told it was a Green Mountain barrel. Did Green Mountain make those barrels for Thompson Center and put TC's name on them, also?

That was one question, the other is how well do these normally shoot? It sees like I remember reading somewhere years ago, that lots of people blamed them for poor accuracy, and I have never been that impressed with mine. It seems like I also read that quite a few people had the barrels shortened and got rid of the QL addition. Does anyone here know or have much experience with these barrels?
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
In theory, it might be a good idea, but as you have seen, maybe not.  I have had trouble keeping patches centered while loading.  And while cleaning, when the patch gets to the end of the rifling, if you are bringing it out kinda fast, there is this sucking sound and the patch pulls off the jag and goes back into the bore.  Ain't that fun, now you gotta go fishing.
I guess with a maxi ball, it would be a better idea and with a PRB.
Accuracy wise, I think it deteriorates a bit.  However, another of the selling points is the crown of the bore will not get damaged.  Maybe not.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
My findings are pretty much the same as Bigsmoke's.  

I think the idea behind the QLA was to help in loading the TC Maxi straight.  It didn't do anything for me as I only shoot round ball, and centering a patch isn't always easy.  

Your best bet for using the TC QLA barrel with patched round ball is to cut the patch at the muzzle, then an off center patch is not an issue.

As for barrel accuracy?  I never got the kind of accuracy from any TC barrel that I get from Green Mountain or old Douglas barrels.

There's something to be said for .008 depth (or more) grooves, and slow twist rifling for patched round ball.

I have never felt the .005 depth grooves and 1 in 48 twist rifling had much to offer for accuracy.  But that's just my findings over the years.  I just never felt that combination was right for either the TC Maxi or patched round ball.  Perhaps .008 depth & 1 in 48 would have been a better choice for TC?
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »
I have a T/C Hawken "Custom".   It has the QLC on it.   I have had the rifle for ~15 years and shot it a ton and killed 60-70 whitetails with it.   The QLC absolutely STINKS!   I think T/C really goofed when putting these on their barrels as most users (I think) use prb much more than elongated bullets out of them.   I exclusively use prbs and so have no use for the "counterbore".   Starting a precut patch is an exercise in holding your mouth right while muttering things to yourself in a hushed voice.   Pillow ticking, you ask?   My barrel refuses to accept ticking of the same thickness as the precut patches I use without dragging out a hammer to beat on the short starter!

End rant.   I really like the rifle, but the QLC is a joke for a prb shooter.   I recently got my first flintlock (it has a Green Mountain slow twist barrel).   It will shoot ragged holes from a benchrest while my Hawken really wont (unless I get lucky).   If your a roundball shooter, you wont like it if you know what you are missing otherwise.

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:28 AM »
I have had my TC with the QLC barrel on it for a few years now, and I have been wondering if cutting it off shorter would be a good idea. At anyrate, it looks like most people don't really like it for patched round balls which is what I shoot, also.

It has crossed my mind today to cut it off and make a really short rifle out of it, for something different. How short could a 54 cal roundball barrel  be and still be effective without giving up that much in down range power?
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »
I have went to using the Hornady Plastic patch for my .50 caliber TC round ball gun. It's designed for .490 ball. It's not traditional I know but it does avoid all the issues with that dang QLA muzzle. I hate the dang things but didn't know any better when I bought the rifles. Never again though.

Offline Shadow Hawk

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:43:26 PM »
my renagade shoots pretty good with the ql barrle. i just went to a over sized patch. i use a 54-62 patch instead of  a 50. centering is no longer a problem. now im just working out lube and load combos. btw i also had a barrle rubing problem. but a patch between the stock and barrel just forward of the wedge solved that.(thanks Russ).
State Rep Washington State, Central Washington
TMA Member # 501 expires 8/30/15

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
I have one, and it is a tack driver. Their system works great for mine. Easy loading and one ragged hole group with RB hunting loads. I will say though production guns are subject to vary in performance.

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
First guy I know to use this system of relieving the muzzle was John Hall. Did this so his breechloading US Model 1819 rifle could be loaded from the muzzle if necessary. The normal "54" caliber rifle cartridges for loading the Hall rifle from the breech used a ball which would otherwise be rather tight for easy muzzle loading with a patch. The Hall, I believe, had a slightly tighter bore than did the common .54 cal military rifles of the time.

Daniel Kurkowski here in SE Michigan told me he developed/patented the contemporary QLA system for Thompson/Center.

Me, I like my Caywood mountain rifle, thankee very much.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:56:23 AM »
Mine came with that.  It performs fine with conicals but not at all impressed with PRB.  I bought a Fox River 30" barrel in 1-60" twist and that is what I take to Rondys.

Just got a T/C Hawken in .54 and it has the counterbore.  I will use it for conicals as well and if I get a wild hair and a good year on the archery stuff I make get a Fox River .54 in 1-60" for it as well.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Daehenoc

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
Well. if it isn't working you could cut it off. And, use that cut-off piece to engrave rifling on conicals for easy loading if the need should ever arise.
Reckon to play with mine a few more years. Wanta see how to best make it work with the 54 maxihunter.

Offline Daehenoc

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »
At the bottom of the c'bore there's a sharp square shoulder. Loading a patched round ball is like trying to do it on a square cut muzzle crown...it cuts the patch.
Talked to the TC help line. The lady asked the smith about it and he said that yeah, that's the way they are.
Now I know why it's so danged hard to load a conical in it. You have to stamp the rifling through the lead ridges on the bullet.

Can you imagine anything goofier than having a square cut end where you need to guide a lead bullet or a patched round ball into the muzzle?
There's no  :idea: on this one!

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
Here's my 2 cents, I think it was just a "New" thing to offer to sell more guns!

We see this all the time from companies. They make some change to their product, make claims it's the best thing since sliced bread when it's really not, and hope everyone has to have one.

This is just my opinion.
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
QLA
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:07 AM »
The QLA "system" was made to help load plastic sabot bullets in inline muzzleloaders. It does a good job for the rifle/projectiles it was designed for.  I can only assume that because Thompson Center Arms was bought out by Smith and Wesson, that in the interest of cost savings they use the same tooling on all their barrels. From the few recent examples of TC Hawkens I have seen for sale in Gander Mtn. they are horrribly constructed with poor fitting furniture and cheap wood, so sticking a QLA barrel on them doesn't surprise me.  Cut it off and recrown or buy a replacement barrel, otherwise you'll haf ta us CVA powerbelt bullets in your Hawken  :shock:
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Sharp Shooter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.outdooradventures.tk
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »
I have a TC 58cal barrel for my Renegade with the QLA. I dont mind it at all and see no problem with it. I shoot roundball and some conicals on occasion.
Patched Roundball, Real Black Powder, and a Traditional Muzzleloader.....
The real way to hunt!!!