Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Taboo Question  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
That makes it easy.  Get a barrel the same width, 13/16in I believe in the length you want.  Breach it.  I'd recommend you remove the breach from the barrel you have and install it.  Mark where the drum goes, drill and tap it.  Install the lugs and sights and install it.  You're off to the races. 8)
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline paw

• TMA Forum Member
dixie rifle
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
if you get another barrel this still leaves the wood to be cut down so what would you have to loose by cutting back the barrel also. i suggest you take the gun to a qualified gunsmith with muzzleloader experience and get his opinion

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Re: dixie rifle
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
Quote from: "paw"
if you get another barrel this still leaves the wood to be cut down so what would you have to loose by cutting back the barrel also. i suggest you take the gun to a qualified gunsmith with muzzleloader experience and get his opinion

I thought I was getting quailified gunsmith`s opinion`s here.  :lol:  If I decide to cut down this barrel i`ll do all the work myself. A little common sense and research goes a long way my friend
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 06:48:16 AM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
Green Mountain also has 13/16" barrels but I don't know how responsive they are to customs.
burch,
    I have always found Green Mountain to be very customer
responsive. I was a bit concerned when Knight went under,but was
assured by sales rep Keri that the Knight closing will have
absolutely no effect on GM operations.
snake-eyes
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
As other have said, buying a shorter 'drop in barrel' [it won't be that easy] will require cutting down the stock and possibly refitting the ramrod tubes--then besides the extra expense of the new barrel, you'll still have the original long barrel which will be of no use to you anyway--so I'd either leave it alone or cut down the original barrel.  Personally, I prefer the longer barrel in a squirrel rifle--the weight ain't that bad, helps shooting and has a better sighting plane.  I thought I wanted a short barreled .32 once and had one built with a 36" barrel--I still have it, but regret the decision and wish it was 42".  It is nice and light, though.  I'd keep the Dixie as is or trade it as is and buy what you really want.
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline PeashooterJoe

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
I agree with Miker R.  about the shorter barrel, got a 36" not very happy with it also. Still prefer my 42" barreled rifle over my 36" one. Good luck with what ever you decide.. PeashooterJoe
Keep your watch and powder Dry..