Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Taboo Question  (Read 2045 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Taboo Question
« on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
I have a Dixie Tennesse Rifle .32cal.  I know these are rare now a days but I just can`t get use to the long barrel guns.  Can this barrel be cut down and still maintain accuracy ?  ;)
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »
Sure, it could be done, but I'd suggest hanging on to it as is and wait for the one you really want. There could be somebody out there just itching to get the Dixie the way it is.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
Have you looked at getting a shorter drop in barrel?
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline paw

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
I had a dixie tenn that had been cut back to 31 inches it shot just as accurate as the long one I had which I sold because it was to muzzle heavy for me. the cutdown rifle was done by someone who was obivously a pro as if you didnt know that dixie never sold a short rifle in this model you would have thought it came that way. unfortunatly mine was stolen along with numerous others. cutting it back is a personal choice and if you do so you will still have a higher quality rifle than the crockett. keep in mind that in all probability the value of your gun will be less if you cut it down than if you leave it in its orignal state. on the other if you dont intend to sell or trade it in the future you will get more enjoyment from it use if you customize it to suit you

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »
is it a caplock or a flinter
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
Quote from: "david32cal"
is it a caplock or a flinter

caplock

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »
Where can I get a drop in barrel and would it just as accurate ?

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »
Quote from: "paw"
I had a dixie tenn that had been cut back to 31 inches it shot just as accurate as the long one I had which I sold because it was to muzzle heavy for me. the cutdown rifle was done by someone who was obivously a pro as if you didnt know that dixie never sold a short rifle in this model you would have thought it came that way. unfortunatly mine was stolen along with numerous others. cutting it back is a personal choice and if you do so you will still have a higher quality rifle than the crockett. keep in mind that in all probability the value of your gun will be less if you cut it down than if you leave it in its orignal state. on the other if you dont intend to sell or trade it in the future you will get more enjoyment from it use if you customize it to suit you

If it was all original i`d think twice before doin` any alteration. When I got it someone had driven about 50 tacks in the stock and had overlaid a star on the patch hole. I ran a post on refinishing it and it turned out pretty good. Whoever did the tacks and star work on it should stick to just shooting `em. I had a heck of a time refinishing it but it does look a lot better but you can still see the tiny holes if you look close. It`ll never be what it once was but the bore and lock are in excellent conditon so it`s worth keeping.

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
buddy has a Crockett he might trade if youd be interested
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
Personally, I would not cut the barrel down, especially if this is one of those old Dixie Tenn. fullstock Rifle's that Kirkland Turner started out offering way back when.

The other thing I would be concerned about is the make of the barrel.  I don't know, it might have a Douglas on it and you need to be careful cutting those back to get the lands & grooves at just the right place at the muzzle.  Otherwise a Douglas will shoot goofy.  It's always best to cut a Douglas from the breech end.

If it's a Numrich, you may have some concerns with it's center bore?

IMHO, I would get a new barrel in a larger caliber for less weight.  Green Mountain, Rice, or an Ed Rayl.  Check with Track of the Wolf.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"
Personally, I would not cut the barrel down, especially if this is one of those old Dixie Tenn. fullstock Rifle's that Kirkland Turner started out offering way back when.

The other thing I would be concerned about is the make of the barrel.  I don't know, it might have a Douglas on it and you need to be careful cutting those back to get the lands & grooves at just the right place at the muzzle.  Otherwise a Douglas will shoot goofy.  It's always best to cut a Douglas from the breech end.

If it's a Numrich, you may have some concerns with it's center bore?

IMHO, I would get a new barrel in a larger caliber for less weight.  Green Mountain, Rice, or an Ed Rayl.  Check with Track of the Wolf.

I don`t think it has a Douglas or anything upgrade on it. How can I find out the date of manufacturing >

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"

I agree.

Or leave it as is and sell/trade it to someone to fund the one you want.

Mario

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "david32cal"
buddy has a Crockett he might trade if youd be interested

If I decide to trade it i`ll shoot for a Cherokee first. Thanks for the offer Dave

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
Does it have a drum and nipple?  If so the Oregon Barrel Co. can make you a 13/16" barrel any length you want it.  Green Mountain also has 13/16" barrels but I don't know how responsive they are to customs.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
Does it have a drum and nipple?  If so the Oregon Barrel Co. can make you a 13/16" barrel any length you want it.  Green Mountain also has 13/16" barrels but I don't know how responsive they are to customs.

yes it has drum and nipple