Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Thinkin of a Fowler...  (Read 1696 times)

Offline hankaye

• TMA Forum Member
Thinkin of a Fowler...
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
...one that would be appropriate (if I decide to), go reenacting  in the time period of Late 1780's to early 1800's. Prior to 1810.
If I felt comfortable enough to do it myself, Who's KIT would you'ens suggest. If I.m not feelin comfortable Who's finished (in the white), would you suggest.
PLEASE, when ya suggest state your why's and if ya got a Nay ta say state yer whynots.
ALL opinions are the responsibility of the opinionated.
I will ponder all considerably,
hankaye [/quote]
Basics...ya gots ta know an have de Basics

PROUD MEMBER #511 exp. 10/5/11

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »
For period correctness, quality parts and ease of build the best choice out there is Chambers. They have prime parts, the best locks, and the most work done for you.
For in the white, I would have a quality builder put a Chambers together for you. Mike Brooks is a full time builder. I have 2 guns by him. He also has a fowling gun kit. I think he can usually get an in the white kit out to you in about 3-4 mo. after ordering and supplying the kit.
There are other quality builders who advertise that they put together Chambers kits in the white but they do not put together other maker's kits.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »
you could also use the chambers kit and contact our own Wyosmith (Steve Zihn) if hes not too far out on delivery of projects, he's also a full time builder and like Mike Brooks can make you anything from a plain jane to a bell dressed for the ball, your choice, another option would be if your in the mood to finish a kit or an in the white would be to look at Early Rustic Arms, he has a Hudson Valley Fowler that Ive been eyeballing rel haed for the last 2 years.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »
I like North Star West. Quality parts,easy to put together authentic style and character. Been shooting one for years and love it. Light and shooter friendly.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »
I dont know of a fowling piece made by North Star other than some trade gun type repros.
I have seen Mr. Zihn's work and it is super!
I would suggest getting someone who has schooled themselves in the study of the particular fowling piece you desire.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
Just made the leap he was lookin for a smoothie,ie: trade gun/fowler/fowling piece, Fowler seems to be a generic term used unless a specific school or area is mentioned.  :shake
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
Just made the leap he was lookin for a smoothie,ie: trade gun/fowler/fowling piece, Fowler seems to be a generic term used unless a specific school or area is mentioned.  :lol:
I was just not sure if they might have added a fowling piece to their line-up. Some trade guns like the Carolina/Type G (NOT the Jackie Brown) really are in many ways dirt cheap fowling type guns. :shake

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
Brian Turner, the builder who did my fowler, also offers kits. I do not know how much they cost but he will sell, do, or build to any degree of completion that you want and is a super guy to work with.  Let me know if you want his number; I already put it on another thread on here.

Offline hankaye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »
Mark, that would be neighborly of ya to send me his info. I've been in touch with both Mike Brooks an Steve Zin.
I do know what a fowler is. I do know what it is I'm lookin fer. Any other Gunsmiths you'ns care ta mention will be appericated.
Thanks,
hankaye

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
OK, watcha' lookin' fer? I know a few makers,some excell at "trade guns/fowlers",others at "rifles" All can do both,some just like one or the other better. You CAN tell the difference. I'm a cabinet/clock maker/re-storer,I LOVE making clocks,I like the other stuff,I can tell the difference,no one else can,but I can.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline PJC

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
I have done business with this Brian Turner guy.
For the rifle that he built me, he made a great working mans rifle, with good fit to all parts and overall I am 100% happy and would recommend him.

After saying that I will send you a PM later today. I have a smoothbore kit from TVM. It is also a great kit that I have done some of the work but have decided to go in a different direction.
I'll give you a deal on it. Basically I also picked up a colerain turkey barrel this summer and am going to have a gun built on that barrel, so this kit will not fit my new plans.

I might even give Brian Turner a call to see if he will do my new turkey gun.

Quote from: "mark davidson"
Brian Turner, the builder who did my fowler, also offers kits. I do not know how much they cost but he will sell, do, or build to any degree of completion that you want and is a super guy to work with.  Let me know if you want his number; I already put it on another thread on here.
TMA #472
Exp June 2012

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »
If you want an English Trade Gun I'd strongly recommend that you get a copy of Trade Buns of the Hudson's Bay Company 1670-1970 by S. James Gooding.  You can use it to pick the time frame you are interested in and then identify the design features appropriate for it.  Appendix I is extremely useful in identifying exactly when certain features were first requested by the Forts and Factories in Canada.  An example of this is the large Trigger Guard.  
Aug. 24, 1740:  Joseph Isbister, Fort Albany:  The guns are good but have too much wood in their stocks, the Indians liking them more slender and to free from knots and also to have the guard larger, it being usual to draw the trigger with two fingers which our guns will not admit of.

Dec. 24, 1740: Directions were given to Mr. Jones the companys gun viewer to acquaint all the gunmaker that guards be made larger than usual.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline hankaye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »
Thanks again everyone,
Mark davidson; please PM or just post the number for Brian Turner if he's got any type of website sure would like to look at it.
PJC; BLAP ya hit the nail on the head, workin man's gun, no frills, just aim an shoot eat well.
Sir Michael; Trade guns were fer the fur trade, nuttin wrong with that. My family is from Maine an some are from away (any where's else other than Maine). So, what I'm lookin for is sumtin a tightwad Mainer (or would that be Mainiac), would get for himself, No offence ment.
hankaye

PS tried spellcheck got this instead;

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 02:31:56 AM »
No apology necessary.  I only mentioned Trade Guns because of the direction this topic was taking.   :hey-hey  :toast

Don't forget to post some pics after you get it.  We all like good gun pics. :lol:
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
I'm new and uninformed so please humor me....so what is the difference between what you all are calling a fowler and a trade gun?? I just had a "fowler" built this past spring. Now I am not sure what I got. It does not matter really to me but I am now curious. Mine is a 12guage gun, 38" barrel (octagon to smooth) with a nice piece of curly maple, large Siler flintlock, wide single trigger, Virginia style buttplate with toeplate, beavertail cheek rest, nice sideplate etc..  What have I got...a fowler or a trade gun? I had a metal endcap put on too cause I liked it. :-)