Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New gun is a 49 cal?  (Read 960 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
New gun is a 49 cal?
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »
Well, I took delivery of my new gun from Bobby Christian yesterday.  It is great.  It is brass mounted, maple stocked (a little figure and reddish colored) sliding wood patchbox, LH Queen Anne Lock - It has a 42" swamped colerain barrel - it was supposed to be .50 caliber - However, I molded up some hand cast .490 RB and I had to short start a bare ball to get it down the bore.  Good news is that I hit what I was aiming at both times.  

I am gonna try to find a micrometer and measure the bore - to be sure but I am ordering some .480 ball from Track of the Wolf to see if that helps.

Cheers;

Dan'l Hickham
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »
yep it could be a .490 bore  IE .010  under .500. i have also seen barrel .510  or .o10 over bore .
 my Tulle has a colerian barrel . was suposed to be .620  but when i miked it i found it was .613 .
 fortuionatly most do not run that far off . but now and then , they do

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
Dan'l,
Well, I hope this time your name was at least spelled correctly, Mr. Hickman.
Man, that was awful to have happen.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
What? That he hit what he was aiming at?  :P  ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
What? That he hit what he was aiming at?  :P  :shock: :rotf

Now, for me, this would indeed be something to crow about.

It will be interesting to know just how deep the rifling is on this particular bore...there seems to be a couple of schools of thought on both the depth and shape of the rifling..
One school says shallow, the other says deep, one says a "rounded" bottom, the other says a "near square" bottom.

It all seems to depend mostly on who you're reading at the time as both schools present a good agrument...however, I feel the jury is still out on the absolutely perfect size and shape for each bore and caliber.

Harry Pope thought he had it all worked out back in the  late 1800's,  but, as in all good theories, another came along to replace his, then another, and yet another, and so it goes.

My thought is; If it ain't broke, don't keep fixing it until you end up breaking it......

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
If you find that the .480 ball is the cure,  a mold is giong to be fun to find.  I ended up buying one from Jack Tanner in Jolly Old.  Excellent mold, not expensive and fast delivery.

Three Hawks.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
3/4" but 2" low at 25 yds from crosssticks
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
Well, I am shooting .480 rb with a .15 pillow ticking patch - Works, fine and shoots well.

I fired a 5 shot group from a sitting position over cross sticks and managed to shoot 3/4" group, but 2" low at 25 yds.  Then I decided to shoot at some cattail stalks and found that the rifle was very accurate cutting most of the stalks I shot at  - from an offhand position, but hitting below the point of aim.
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
I've come across the same issue with a number of barrels. My currant favorite has a 38" 1-1/8 .58 Colrain barrel that takes a .562 ball with pillow ticking. .575 or .570's just won't go down without a hammer and the barrel is coned. I guess I'll just call it a .57 cal!

NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
Shoots well now
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
Well. a little filing and the gun is shooting 4" groups at 75 yds from a rest.

Now, a bit more challenge to shoot a deer this fall.