Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: buckskinner cabine ???  (Read 1009 times)

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
buckskinner cabine ???
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »
couple years back i bought a little buckskinner carbine for next to nothing. It's kind of a slick little thing, although not a top of the line flinter for sure, accuracy is so, so, but plenty good enough for hunting, although i have not used it hunting yet, (usually use my ole kentucky)  i was thinking of giving it a try day after christmas... PA late flintlock comes in then........Anybody ever shoot a deer with one??????......i'm thinking range might be cut back some due to such a short barrel.... i think it's like 20" ????   50 to 60 yards reasonable?????  mabye more?????  any thoughts....???   if i use it i'll probably use conicals it don't seem to like round balls, though to be honest i haven't tinkered with it alot.

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:26:25 AM »
I have a canoe gun 20 inch barrel in 62 caliber. I have taken deer, elk and buffalo with it. The only difference between my canoe gun and a smoothbore with a long barrel is a shorter sightline for aiming and one pound of foot pressure for each inch of barrel...
  Woodman
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
just came inside from shooting it, and i take back everything i just said about the little bugger.... after a little tinkering..... 4 shots all touching ... shooting from a rest at a measured range of 50 yds... 80 grains of 3f goex and a patched hornady round ball.... think i'll  nickname it "the little bugger" .... and go shoot one with it saturday......

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
I have one of them in cap. Extra fast twist, but you can get them to shoot balls not too bad. Shot my first BP deer with it. I call mine "Little Thumper", as it does tend to make you sit up and take notice due to it's small stature.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
from what i here , some buckskinners are 1and 20 twist......mine is stamped 1in 48......the thing is awfully hard on flints though, so i'm noticing.... couple shots and they shatter.....to much spring pressure possibly....also frizzen must be of poor quality it's already getting a groove across where the flint is hitting.....annnnnnd.....it has one gosh awful heavy trigger....gonna tear the lock apart tonight and see what i can do with it.... a little more tinkering and i think i'll have something.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »
That gosh awful heavy trigger could in part be from a grossly overstrength mainspring.  That would account for shattered flints and grooves dug out of the frizzen as well.

Good luck.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:52:33 AM »
yep that's what i figure...not sure how to cure that other than put another one in....

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
If you think your mainspring is too strong, you may try putting it in a 500 deg pre-heated oven for about three hours.  That MAY temper the spring down just a little bit.  Of course, if the spring gets screwed up after that, I will just plead insanity!
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »
If your getting marks on the frizzen and breaking flint the most likely issue is the angle of hammer approach to the frizzen. You may be able to change it a little by flipping the flint the other way; otherwise heat and change the hammer approach. The lock should be balanced to spring strength and approach and a good lock smith could get it sorted out in short order. Maybe not something you wish to tinker with yourself. A coil spring can be shortened and leaf springs can be narrowed to reduce spring power. By balance I mean that speed, frizzen throw, hammer approach, frizzen wear/spark is all optimized.

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »
thanks...but yes i already did...flip the flint around and change angle....seemed to have fixed the flint trouble.

Offline mountainrifle

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
ive shot a t/c carbine similar to that and it also had a very heavy trigger.  ive also examined one of the cabelas carbines at the cabelas store and it seemed so small compared to the longrifles next to it.
hope it works for you on the deer!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »
Quote from: "mossie"
If your getting marks on the frizzen and breaking flint the most likely issue is the angle of hammer approach to the frizzen. You may be able to change it a little by flipping the flint the other way; otherwise heat and change the hammer approach. The lock should be balanced to spring strength and approach and a good lock smith could get it sorted out in short order. Maybe not something you wish to tinker with yourself. A coil spring can be shortened and leaf springs can be narrowed to reduce spring power. By balance I mean that speed, frizzen throw, hammer approach, frizzen wear/spark is all optimized.

yep  a heavy spring isn’t the factor here IMO .
 its poor lock geometry  .
Also sounds like a soft frizzen with a frizzen spring that’s not  properly match .

Not un common on production guns
  Like was said . Try flipping the flint . The other thing you can do is  notch out the back of the flint so that it sets a little farther back in the jaws

If you have not done it , I would also polish up the workings of the lock / specifically any [place that  metal runs on metal  IE the sear to tumbler , main spring to tumbler . Main spring to lock plate . Tumbler to lock plat . Tumbler to bridle .  don’t forget the toe of the frizzen , where it rides on the frizzen spring  or where the frizzen rides in its bridle . Without the frizzen spring , the frizzen should easily and smoothly flop . Not kinda  flop , it should  simply  fall back

Again most of the time the issue is not a heavy frizzen spring but  bad geometry . Especially concerning eating flints

As to trigger pull / this depends on the company .
 Many years back CVA and  traditions went to a negative  cut  full cock , over the neutral full cock notch .
 This was for liability reasons . Just like Lyman did a few years back  when they placed a shorter screw in their double set trigger s

Basically what happens with the negative cut notch is that  when the shooter pulls the trigger . They are basically using the  trigger to cock the lock a little farther back  before the lock will trip  .
 You can see this if you cock your lock and then slowly squeeze the trigger . If the cock moves back  before it falls . Then that s the reason for your heavy trigger pull . When you pull the trigger , you actually have to overcome the main spring .
 The only way to correct this is to  change the geometry of the full cock notch .
 If you do that , be very careful not to go to neutral or you will end up with something that will easily   trip  when you don’t want it to
 Also when your polishing up your  lock , don’t forget to polish the sear arm where the trigger contacts it .

Now if the case is that the  tumble isn’t a negative . Then the issue  also often is that the trigger itself isn’t drilled proper .
 All the trigger is leverage . Think of a teeter-totter.
 On most production guns , the leverage is equal   or  heavy in  on the sear side .
 But if you move that pivot point  so that  the sear arm comes in contact closer to the pivot , while at the same time your finger is farther from the pivot . Then you get a lighter trigger pull .

Doing this you actually can tune a single trigger to  a very light pull even if the main spring is a giant