Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: turkey loads/ shot size  (Read 1313 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
turkey loads/ shot size
« on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
I would like some examples or stories of tried and trued turkey loads.This is a new area for me.I got some 7.5 shot with the smoothy I bought, but I have a feeling that may be small for the big bird.Next week I hope to start working a load and I think I should have anothre shot size with.
My gun is a 12 ga. straight bore,flinter.
I've read alot about cushions and that stuff but mainly am wondering about shot size.Thanx for any input,ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline followed by

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
Well ridjrunr, here's what i came up with for my 20ga english fowler. 75gr-3f, op card, 1/3 pc of cushion wad, 1.5oz of hard 7.5's, os card. Max effective range, 25yd. So far, so good. You'll want to use 2fg and maybe try 2oz. of shot. That'll get you 25-30 yds. At 30yds, penetration may be lacking. I doubt 6's at 30yds will pattern tight enough. Also, go to our TMA homepage, links, and ck out Bob's Blackpowder Notebook!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
I have tried 4s and 6s and duplex 4 + 6. got an okay 25 yard load...

This year it looks like we can use 7.5s in MN, so I hope to try 'em, I still would like to try 5s, but haven't got a round tuit yet.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
I'm using #5s in my 12 guage flint fowler. I have not killed anything with it yet cause I just got it last spring after turkey season closed. 5s pattern really well. The conventional wisdoms of shot size with regular shotguns should transfer over to bp shotguns too and most folks would say 7 1/2s are too light for turkeys unless the shot is really close. 4s and 5s are the standard so I am shooting 5s cause they really pattern well. I use op card plus thick cushion wad followed by a plastic shot cup made for steel shot with 2 oz of #5s and an overshot card. Pattern is beautiful and tight and I think will be plenty potent if I can just get a shot.  I use 100 grains of 2F under that load.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »
The biggest loose shot I have is #5 and I cannot find lead of larger size any longer.  I guess that is what it will be.  If I could I would use #4 or #2 and try for head shots.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:50 PM »
Thanx for all the input.More examples is always good till I find what works.This Sun I'll be after that load.
My thought srae that a heavier shot size would retain energy further,but I also think that there will be a line when the pattern will be lost trying to go further.Have to find that happy medium I guess.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
I've killed many turkeys with modern guns, longbow, and flintlock smoothbores. Most of the time I use #6 shot but I've killed a few with #7.5 with no problem at all. For head and neck shots which is all I take, I think the finer shot will throw a denser pattern and will penetrate the neck and head just fine.
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
Thanx Ron,I have 7 1/2 and am picking up some 4 from a friend tomarrow.I'll definately try both,with a few dif combinations.
Am goin out Sun morn.to begin
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Riley/MN

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
Thanx Ron,I have 7 1/2 and am picking up some 4 from a friend tomarrow.I'll definately try both,with a few dif combinations.
Am goin out Sun morn.to begin

Keep us posted!!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
Well,as I have never shot any ml shotgun before,I wasnt shure really what to expect the first time out.I stayed with 75g,2F for all shots of the day,and the make up of the load consisted of; powder,o/p card,1/2"cushion wad,shot,o/s card.First 3 shots at 20 yrds off of a bag was 1) 11/4 oz#4 - 2) 11/2 oz#4 3) 15/8 oz#4
Hits on a hand drawn turkey head/neck where 1 pellet,5 pellets,5pellets respectivley.
Then I switched to Allen printed targets that show vertibrea and brain outline.Best shot,10 kill pellets@20yrds with the 1 5/8 oz load.But 5 yrds further same load only gave me 5 pellets.
also on the allen targets,I used 7.5 shot 1 1/8 oz load and got 4 and then 5 pellets at 20 yrds.
I may very well go and try the rolled paper shot cup,recommended by fellow TMA ,UncleRuss.Just need to take the time to make them up.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Riley/MN

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Yeah, you will have to play with those too. You can wind up with a ounce and a half slug pretty easy! I need to start working up loads... maybe in a few weeks.

meanwhile, keep us posted!!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
ridjrunr...with your 12 gauge, you can use dime wrappers real easy.  I fold 'em just like ya would if there were coins in it and put a dot of glue or small piece of tape on that end.  Cut it to fit the shot load and grease it lightly.  After I put down the powder and any cards/wads that I might be using, I start the paper shot cup down the bore...pour in the shot...top it with the OS card and push the whole thing down on the rest.  Lot easier to do then it is to type here.  
Might be something to try...
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
Well,as I have never shot any ml shotgun before,I wasnt shure really what to expect the first time out.I stayed with 75g,2F for all shots of the day,and the make up of the load consisted of; powder,o/p card,1/2"cushion wad,shot,o/s card.First 3 shots at 20 yrds off of a bag was 1) 11/4 oz#4 - 2) 11/2 oz#4 3) 15/8 oz#4
Hits on a hand drawn turkey head/neck where 1 pellet,5 pellets,5pellets respectivley.
Then I switched to Allen printed targets that show vertibrea and brain outline.Best shot,10 kill pellets@20yrds with the 1 5/8 oz load.But 5 yrds further same load only gave me 5 pellets.
also on the allen targets,I used 7.5 shot 1 1/8 oz load and got 4 and then 5 pellets at 20 yrds.
I may very well go and try the rolled paper shot cup,recommended by fellow TMA ,UncleRuss.Just need to take the time to make them up.

Just wondering why you tried 1 1/8 ounce of #7 1/2, WHILE YOU TRIED 1 5/8 OUNCE IN #4 SHOT?

I would have liked to see what the same 1 5/8 ounce charge would have produced in "kill strikes" with the  #7 1/2 shot.

Any chance you could give that a try and let us know what happens?

I have been toying with the idea of using 7 1/2s for turkey.   FWIW, I have killed them with #6 shot (only size I have used with the blackpowder shotgun).

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
dan , you have seen my  birds .
 all i use is  2 oz of 7 1/2 over 75 grains .

dont try body shots unless the tome is very close . i dont care if your using 2 and 4's . those feathers are like armor . takle your time and learn to take head and neck shots . a jelly headed tome goes no where

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Two steps,Thanx,I'll definately give that a try! :shake

Skychief,Only for the reason I figured to have more pellets of larger size #4.
I'll throw some heavier loads of 7.5 as well next time out,that was what I had pre-measured with me (1 1/8 )
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21