Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New Pan Powder Substitute  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
Axelp ,I believe you are an honest and sincere individual . But it seems that many involved in promoting a new product on the market , seem to have an entirely different set of standards of TRUTH in advertising when it comes to promoting new products . Just as an example look at the promotional ads for dish detergents or laundry detergents , Some have been improved 10 times or more . If these improvements were as good as claimed , you'd only have to point the product at the object to be cleaned , an presto , it would be done. .
           There are entire companys  that do nothing but sell their services of developeing a promotional campain for manufacturs and venders . , most of the individual have no idea of the new product and many don't care as long as the campain sells the product. Much of the time the slogans and quips used is based on half truths and evasive double talk . most of these adversing fims have big time law firms on retainers in case they are caught in a statment that could be construed to be beyond truth .
           I would have to agree 100% with Captchee on His assesment , that if the substitute chemicals have the low ignition tempeture of black powder , WHY is exempt from the same restriction imposed on BP?
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »
I agree with Cap and I agree with you. The point is, there will NEVER be an identical substitute for black powder, only things that will work in a similar way---hopefully in a way that is "close enuff." If BP is ever banned from use. And if it is so close to BP, then sure, it should have the same restrictions.

I have worked in advertising for 25 years. There is no conspiracy... There is no big law firm backing up my ad agency, believe me. We are simply creative people helping other people sell products. Ad agencies are not responsible for a product being good or bad or even phony... the maker is. I have never worked on a project or a client that was ever found to be a fraud... I am sure they both exist and that is the way of the world... I just do not think they are hiding behind every tree.

Ken

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
I think some have missed the point.  The "Flash" powder is to be used as priming powder only!  Not as a main charge powder.  The manufacturer has a warning about that.  The cost per shot will be determined by how much powder you use to prime.  

Gene
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »
Great posts, Cap.  Fortunately for the shooting world, bp is made from three simple ingredients, which are well-known.
Member #424

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
" post dedited "

we will have to agree to disagree .
 i have had my say . i simply cant say anymore  that i have not already said .

Offline faithtreker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:27 AM »
A few years ago I  held an event called "Camp Living History" here on my place. One old guy set up his TP and won the shoot that year with his flinter. He was bragging to me that he had just bought a keg of powder and that when he buried it on his place, he would have about 15 kegs to do him. Trouble was that he had a heart attack and died within six months. A pound would have served him well. Someday someone will started digging and say how did this get here?

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »
The person who discovers it will be lucky if that's all that anyone has to say. I DO NOT want to be the one who hits it with a shovel, backhoe, dozer, tractor.

First Responder friends of mine say they are well aware of the number of folk who rathole/store/stash various powders and ammo, and are just hoping they never have to fight fire where that's the case. Heck, I don't even store most of my flammables in the house or garage. Powder is stored in an outbuilding safely and well away from the house. Not everyone who has explosives or "propellants" is fortunate to have a set up like many of us have. It's not necessarily "antis" who are after powder storage, it's cops and firefighters as well. I know a good number of 'em. We have a responsibility, as well as a dog in the fight.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm willing to support to keep first responders safe, as well as to keep BP out of the hands of idiots. We seem to have more and more of those--of various kinds. Tough balance to maintain.

I'm curious what restrictions other countries may put on BP and propellants. Canada, GBritain, Germany?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393