Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New/Old Squirrel Rifle  (Read 1211 times)

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
New/Old Squirrel Rifle
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
I just picked up an original squirrel rifle yesterday. I went straight from Dixon's to the range. I was shooting a .333 prb and 20grains 3f goex to start out with at 25 yards. I was very pleased with the shooting.  I was keeping them in the black on a standard  ML offhand target. The rifle is signed Oblinger and Piqua O. slanted across the barrel. The lock is signed J. Goulcher with an engraving of a hunter shooting a duck. The barrel is signed T. H. Johnston. I will have to get a book on Ohio Gunsmiths but before I do that if anybody could give me some information I would appreciate it. I will also try to get a picture. It is a half stock percussion.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Goulcher was a lock maker the other names dont come up in any of my books.However,there are eight Oblingers listed on the Assoc. of Ohio Longrifles Collectors site. AOLRC.org will get you there.
Would love to see a pix of it. :lt th
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks for that information ridge runner
The other thing I noticed about this rifle that at the muzzle it goes from octagon to round and there are two indentations on the barrel a few inches from the muzzle. I was told that this was for a bullet starter so the rifle may have been made to shoot bullets rather then PRB. The groves are very skinner and deep compared to the lands.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
There is a Piqua Ohio.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »
There most certainly is a Piqua, Ohio!  Been there.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
Chuck,

Is there any chance that to barrel is signed J. H. Johnston instead of T. H.?  I have an original rifle and a double barrel shotgun by J. H. Johnston - they were a big outfit similar to Leman and Golcher.
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
Yes I checked it again and you are right. What do you know about them?
Thanks
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Chuck,

Not a whole lot, except they built guns, had guns built for them and imported them for resale - some are marked J. H. Johnston, some with the name and "Great Western Gun Works", some with GWGW instead of being spelled out.  You can get a reproduction catalog from several different years for about ten bucks, I plan on getting one but haven't got around to it yet.... here is a link:
 http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=313

I can say that both of mine shoot great.  I have a rifle that is about .30 caliber and a shotgun that is about 10 or 11 guage.  Got them both at the CLA show last year from different guys.  Couldn't pass up having a rifle an shotgun by the same maker!
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »
Thank you Squirrel Heart
I ordered the catalog. I assume that they sold the barrel to the gunsmith who made the rifle.
How does your rifle shoot? My favorite hunting is for squirrels and my son and I love to eat them. He now lives in MN and I got a 410 single shot shotgun for his oldest son for christmas
 and we have a new squirrel hunter in the family.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
I took the rifle to the range and had it checked out by some very knowledgeable man and we checked the twist it it is a ball rifle.For me it shot well in the 25 yrd offhand match. I would like to know more about the maker.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
The rifle shoots well, I haven't shot it on paper to see what kind of groups it will shoot yet.  I sighted it in on an old stump shooting offhand, it likes about 30 grains of fffg.  Got a couple of squirrels with it - head shots so it must group fairly well.  I can't wait for squirrel season to start so I can take it out again and get some more of that limb bacon!

When I get around to it I'll take a couple of photos of the rifle and post them.
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »
I took a couple of pics yesterday:

Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
That is one sweet lookn rifle Squirrelhart. Thanks for sharing the photos. I have never seen none like that before. I love my squirrel huntn a hole lot. Chuckpa I think your going to love that new old 32.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
SquirrelHeart that is a neat little rifle,what is the overall length of it.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline SquirrelHeart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  The bore is a little rough but she shoots well.  While I had it out taking pics I walked back to my range a fired a few shot at my 50 yard plate resting my elbows on the bench - three shots in about an inch and a half, but shooting a bit to the right.  I shot once at the 100yd plate and missed, put a little more powder in (about 35gr fffg) and gave it some "Massoura windage" and rang it a couple times.  Not bad for such and old girl!  Squirrel season is right around the corner.....

David32cal:  I don't remember how long exactly, but it is the longest halfstock I have by about 2 or 3 inches.  I'll do some measuring and post the dimensions in  a couple of days.
Curtis aka SquirrelHeart
TMA Member #320
Exp. Date 04/25/11
NMLRA Member
NRA Life Member