Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: French Tulle fusil-de-chasse kit  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
French Tulle fusil-de-chasse kit
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
I am looking at Track of the Wolf's French Tulle fusil-de-chasse kit.

Does anyone have any experience with this kit (Good or Bad)?

I am thinking of getting the Curly Maple stock, any thoughts on it?

I am also open to other kits like Sitting Fox. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Before you go anywhere with TOTW on this kit make sure everything needed is in stock---there have been "perrenial" shortages of stocks for this gun. "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
myself i would get it from Pecatonica river . same assembly but better price  and better wood .

As to the Tow assembly  or the Pecatonica one . It all depends on what your looking for  as far as correctness .
 If that’s an issue I would  suggest that
1) you get a copy of Hanson’s writings on the fusils
2) get the davis lock . It will still need alittle modification of the pan . But its much closer then anything L&R carries
 I would also if the above case is what your after ,steer clear of curly maple .
 You will make it dark anyway

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »
I live 10 minutes from Track.  I have seen many of their kits and I go into their shop all the time.  If you want a gun that works, but not historically precise, they work.  If you want to go HC (historically correct), listen to Captchee.

Anyone who wants to buy a kit from Track, I would be willing to go there and pick out the best wood and parts they have in stock.  Just tell them I'm coming to do this for you, they know me!  This is a note to anyone.

I would not use curly maple.  Walnut would be more correct.  If you had to go with maple, get plain because you are going to stain it dark.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45:33 AM »
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm not concerned with it being Historically Correct. I just like the looks of Curly Maple. I'm more concerned with a gun that works well.

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to take a look at Pecatonica.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
if thats the case , i would still  get it from Dick at Pecatonica River.
 you  will end up with a better stock  with a whole lot more figure  and  IMO better greading of the desity  of the wood then  you will get for the same price from ToW

Anyway , that’s my advice to ya .
 You will like the De Chase . I had one and loved it

if you do go with ToW make sure you ask if everything is in stock .

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I would agree with Capchee on the stock from Pecatonica. They have ALWAYS given me a better piece of wood than requested.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
Is it only due to HC that you recommend staying clear of Curly Maple as well as the L&R Lock?

I looked at Pecatonica River and their kit comes with an L&R lock. If I go this route, should I change to the Davis Lock?

Thanks again for all the advice. It is much appreciated!

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:44:42 PM »
Davis is a better lock.  Chambers and Davis locks are my favorites.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »
IMO the lock  that davis has is much closer to the original lock on the De Chase .  with alittle work on the pan it will become very close .
past that the davis lock is IMO a far better lock then the L&R .
as to the wood . yep  the only reason not to use  maple is for HC purposes

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
I appreciate the information. It looks like I will go with Pecatonica. By the way, is it pronounced "Peck-uh-toe-knee-c-uh"?

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

How about any of the special services they offer?

I've thought about putting a rear sight on it. I would like to possibly use it for deer hunting. I don't know how accurate I can expect from it. But I would be real happy with 30-40 yards.

Any suggestions on a book to help with the build?

What kind of weight is the trigger pull?

How good is the in-letting? I don't expect "in-the-white", but am curious as to what I can expect.

Thanks again for all the great information. It is very much appreciated.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
The thing to remember is that these are not KITS. They are parts assemblies
 While you can have the  barrel  and RR channels done. I would recommend that “ . your still going to be doing  inletting  of the tang  and breech of the barrel , lock , triggers .  butt plate  entry thimbles and such
 Drillings for bolts  as well as tapping the threads  . Not to mention all the filing and polishing  of the  cast parts , IE Butt plate , trigger guard , side plate , entry thimble .
 Lets also not forget final shaping of the stock . Even though this is a pre carve . Its only about  60% to shape .
 as to trigger pull ,,, well sir thats up to you . a single trigger  on a properly tuned lock can be  very light . IE 2 lbs or so . or if done wrong it can be  very heavy .
again these are notproduction gun  kits . be they from ToW or other .

As to sights .  As of yet I know of no one who makes a  correct sight for the French guns .
 I have often considered  doing up some castings  . But im not sure the interest is there .
 That however doesn’t mean you cant use what you want .
 However once you get used to shooting the  De Chase . You will find that  even without a rear sight , you should have no problem hitting your mark at  that distance .

Books , if you have never built a rifle before . Your going to need books .
 Either shumways recreating the American long rifle. Or  The Gunsmith of Grenville County, .

I would also get ; The Fusil De Tulle in New France  1691-1741  by Russel Bouchard .
 Its #36 of the historic arms series
 For a small thin  pamphlet type book . It chocked full of good information  that will help  you .
Tow Sells a set of plans for the De Chase  that will also help you .
 There IMO though needs to be corrections made to the plans . Those corrections can be found in Bouchard’s book .

If you have any problems or  questions though , there are many builders as well as smiths hear on the forum who  are willing to help folks through  the builds  of rifles .

I would also  tell you to plan on taking your time . Despite the looks , the  De Chase is not an easy piece to build and build right

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
You might try TVM(uzzleloading).  they have two types of kits.  One is the kit with most of the work completed and only requires final fitting, stock finishing, browning/bluing of the barrel, etc.  Their other kit is less $ and is aimed at the more experienced builder.

You can specify lock, barrel length, wood, lop, stock dimensions, furniture and just about anything else.  Their site only lists a basic "default" gun but they can furnish most anything you want.  Their prices are very reasonable.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.