Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: T/C flint locks  (Read 769 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
T/C flint locks
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
A couple questions about T/C flinters.How well do the T/C flintlocks hold up?Are they coil spring or flat spring locks?I see one at a junk shop with a 4 digit ser. # and am wondering these things.Also, the twist is not marked, so, did they use the 1:48 early on as well? It is their .50 Hawken model.The owner thought it was from the 70's.Any help appreciated.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
TC flinters
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Have had several, own one now in .50. They have a coil main spring lock. My first one I shot out the barrel and the lock was still going. I burned a h_ _ _ _ of a lot of powder in that rifle. Use good English type flints, not the TC pkged ones. I've had three as I said and never had an issue with lock breaking or failing to work. But like all things mechanical, things can wear and fail. Clean the lock well and use light oil on all the moving parts. TC has a good warranty also.  If ya can't afford a custom the TC or Lyman will serve you well. BTW most were 1:48 twist. At least with low sn you won't have to deal with the QLA muzzle. Regards GH
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »
Ridge...what I have to say won't help you a whole lot but I think it needs to be said anyway.

Serial numbers on T/C Rifles are pretty much useless for anything other than identifying that particular rifle.  
Seems they lost a lot of records about 20 or so years ago, but they are much better at "interpreting" these serial numbers than anyone else, and I know of no source to help us with identifying them.
The one thing we can be sure of is the fact that if the serial number starts with a "K" the rifle was first sold in kit form.

The good part of this little story is; no matter how old, decrepit, or worn your old T/C is...the good folks at T/C have you covered.

I had owned T/C Rifles for years and years, and never had a single problem, so there was no need to ever contact them although I had often heard they were excellent at honoring their "Life Time Warranty" and would work with you on about anything.

Back about five years ago I had a problem with a mainspring on the lock of a T/C flinter, and I called them to order a replacement...less than 10 days later I had a complete new "updated" lock, no charge whatsoever.
About two or three months ago I was putting together / re-doing a Renegade for a friends wife...the gun was missing several screws, and the butt plate. I called T/C, and about a week or so later, I had all these parts with NO CHARGE.

If you've noticed, and most of us have, the current cost of a new  T/C is what many consider ridiculous, at around $700 or so...but, if you think of it as a life time investment, that initial outlay is not all that bad, when compared to all the others with absolutely no warranty at all.

I suspect the bottom line of all this rambling is...if you see a "used' T/C for sale at a reasonable price, buy it! Buy it, and never look back!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
Thanx guys,thats all good news. The ser. # is 4 digits and no letters.I dont really need the gun ,but I just sold a recurve this morning and probly will make the guy an offer anyways.Again, thanx for the input,ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Martin_G

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
Hi ridjrunr,

I have a T/C Hawken 54 cal percussion rifle. I'm pretty certain my lock uses the same type of coil spring as yours is. Although it has a few miles on it, I have a feeling that it will last quite a while. When I first bought it earlier this year I called the serial #'s in in order to get a production year and Customer Service told me "absolutely nothing" !

They said that they're no records unlike cartridge guns. So......whats the reason for serial numbers on a T/C muzzleloader ?

I also inquired about a new stock and I was quoted a price of $400.00 + !

However, in order to get the stock through their warranty, you have to prove that you're the original owner!

I'm not telling you this to discourage you but I wanted to give you a heads up.

Maybe their rifles use a serial # for warranty claims since they don't know the manufacture dates.

HTH,

Martin

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
Like many who have TCs , I"ve not had to test their service warrenty . I have noticed that there is some contrevercy about the reaction of the people in the service dept. . But I"ve  found this to be true with many type s of bussiness , and Gov. office personel . $700.00 is a pretty stiff price , but that is MSR and often you can find dealers selling for less . As was said , if you come across one for a couple of hundred or less , grab -it if you can spare the cash!
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Mustang

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »
I have 24 TCs in flint and cap in various models and calibers. They are the de facto factory made gun. They do have coil springs in their locks and that can be a good thing.
I believe the coils springs are faster than leaf “V” springs and are more consistent. most likely you will get a 1:48 barrel but not impossibile to get a different twist. The "Round Ball" barrel is a find.
Their people and warranty are great. I have had my first one for 40 years now and it is still going strong.