Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Priming the drum?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
I don't do this, I just remembered reading something about it:
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products ... startat=21
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
Like Russ , I"ve been reading this thread with interst . I would have toagree with most "tips" suggested here . I too have found new caps without compound in them , not often but you know the one cap out of several hundred with no priming would show-up at a critical momnt , so make sure to check them , it only takes a moment . As far as priming the drum with 4ffff I wouldn"t . there is a good chance you are creating a potential problem. a clean and dry flame channel , to me , is the best insurance for fast positive ignition.
        The comment about not filling the pan on a flinter is a whole other subject , that would fill another forum with opinions .  :)
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »
Trois castor's,
 That is actually the first thing I've ever seen that promotes nipple charging It's interesting but I've never seen the need alway sfigured a clear route to the main charge is the way to go,but I am far from an expert at bp ,I just go with what works for me.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »
I have a old Visine botal filed with FFFF in my shooting bag. When I get to blabberin to much with my shootin partner and dry-ball my lode  :oops: I put some #4 in the drum and nippal and spit the ball back out. That's the onaly time I do that. It works for that very well.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Couple things  if I may
 I would agree with swamp  IMO 99% of the issues often complained about , stem from improper care.   Any cleaning solution or oils left in the  bore or bolster , will effect your ignition  . Having it clean and dry and free of oils   is the key
 your drum or bolster channel is a direct extension of  the bore .
As  was stated , there should be powder  already in that channel . Depending on the size of that channel ,  if you take the nipple out ,you may find  the channel full of powder OR just a few grains .

when you load  powder from the main charge  drops down in this channel . if it dosnt  then  you have a restriction . possable caused by carbonized fouling thats building up and restricting the  channel .
 this can be a real bear to clean out . running a pipe cleaner helps ensure this  fouling  doesnt build to the point  it causes an issue

Priming  behind the nipple should not make a fuse burn .
 1) that prime becomes part of the main charge  
 2) the actual flash channel , as compared to a flintlock , is actually in the nipple . Not in the bolster . The channel  from the bolster should be at least 3/16 to ¼ depending on the rifle.

I would agree with swamp also on this . If you plan on  priming behind the nipple . Then practice  doing that . Remember 4 F is a lot hotter then 3F and your adding pressure . Granted its probably marginal  unless you don’t find any  powder  in the bolster .
 But even this little bit  may  have an effect on your  accuracy .

Also be careful because to much prime and when you screw your nipple down it.  Compresses the  powder . Making a had  blockage that can also be hard to ignite even if its 4F you put in .   so if you decide to do that  you just need a little.

The subject of venting also was brought up .
  Its true that this is a theory .
 Its also true that the nipples with side holes are considered  to be hot shot nipples  .
 However the side holes serve as a pressure vent to clear the flash hole of the nipple . IE more   gas is aloud to escape. What actually makes the nipple hotter is the flash  channel design  and size .
 As to venting the drum . Yep also true . But remember this also creates an  point for moisture to contaminate the charge .
 On a caplock you cannot see this happen . Where on a flintlock its obvious and  the moisture easily corrected by changing the pan powder .
  Not so with a caplock .

As such  like Russ stated . What your doing is adding variables. The less variables you have , the better off you will be  .

Mark  here is something for you to think about .
  How many  times do you have caps pop while out practicing ?
 If you have a lot then there is an issue  that needs to be found .

If you have very few then you should have started to build confidence in your rifle , your loading procedure as well as your cleaning process .
 To include the brand of caps you use
  If so you should have no concerns as to if the gun will go off .
 You simply cannot with a caplock , remove the  chances of having a bad or weak cap  that doesn’t have enough umpfff to set the charge of .

That can happen . Its part of  traditional muzzle loading .
 But if you have  shot enough to have built confidence in your  weapons system ,. IE you and the rifle . Then  the chances of the rifle not going off should be very small .

Myself I would not  prime behind the nipple . Do what swamp stated . Make sure everything is clean and dry .
 Then when your ready to go out ,  take a nipple pick that small enough to go  completely through the nipple  and run it  into the nipple so as to make 100% sure none of the fragments or fouling from  the  caps you popped   have clogged the flash hole .

Learn to protect the lock  from the weather , just like you would a flintlock and your world will turn

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
Very informative. I never removed the nipple and primed behind it with my old TC Hawken and it ALWAYS went bang and like lightening at that.  I have always adhered to the super clean and dry and devoid of oil preparation and I always popped a couple of caps before loading. It seems that the consensus is that what I was already doing was enough and no need to prime the drum or anything beyond my old working practice.  Thanks for the tips, and I have for sure enjoyed the discussion.

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »
One more safety tip. Before you head outside to pop a couple of caps to dry things out, take the time (5 seconds) to drop your ramrod down the barrel to MAKE SURE the gun is not loaded. Yes, as silly as it may seem, do it anyway! It's just a good practice. It gets you in the practice of checking anytime your wanting to just "Pop a cap".

Safety! Think it, live it!
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
Swamp, Excellent tip. NOTHING matters more than safety. Get that wrong and you may never get a chance to get anything else right. :-)