Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Priming the drum?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
Priming the drum?
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:11:26 AM »
Do many of you prime the drum before hunting and then replace the nipple? Also, if I want to do that just to make me feel better is there anything wrong with priming the drum with a little dab of 4F from my little pan primer thingy that I use with flinters?? Somehow, it would make me feel better in the woods knowing that 4F is sitting there ready to almost "guarantee" that when that cap pops there is going to be a thunderous boom immediately following. :-)  Any thoughts????

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
Mark, I've been a cap shooter and hunter for many many years. You do not need to prime the drum. All of the horror stories of hunters having problems with caps going off and not the charge, is from a lack of care, period. Follow these simple steps, and you'll never have a problem. I do all this the night before I hunt.

First, swab your bore, drum and nipple using patches with rubbing alcohol. I use pipe cleaners to clean the nipple and drum. This will remove the oils, which is the biggest culprit of misfires. Let these sit and dry a few minutes.

Second, swab again with dry patches and pipe cleaners.

Third, install the nipple, and head outside and snap 2 or 3 caps to make sure everything is dry.

Forth, wake up, head out, load your rifle, shoot deer, and enjoy the venison.

Seriously, these few easy simple steps will ensure your gun will fire in the morning. I use CCI #11 Magnum primers. I've never had a misfire on my cap gun hunting. A little prep before you go is all that is needed.
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
Swamp, couldn't agree more.
Actually, you are a little more meticulous than I am, as I never do the pipe cleaner routine.  But popping a few caps is the secret.  And aim the muzzle at a reactive surface so you can see that there is air coming out the muzzle.
Listen also.  A plugged passageway will give a muffled report, a clear one will give a crisp, shart report.
Mark, don't over think this situation.  it's almost, but not quite, rocket science.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
Thanks Swamp, My current pre hunt ritual is very similar to yours. I use starter fluid(ether) to totally clean and erase all moisture and then dry patch the ether residue out before loading. I've never had a misfire in the woods but I do not want to have one now either.

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
You won't! Just make sure there's no OIL and you'll be good!

Another tip here, and I've seen this happen too! Before you load your capper with fresh caps, inspect them to make sure ALL are good caps. I've had it happen a few times, buying a new tin of caps, only to find a few that had no primer compound in the copper cup!

Also, leave your rifle out in the cold, do not bring into warn cabin, house, camper, whatever. Again, one of the biggest mistakes hunters make, and giving Traditional ML's a bad name of being unreliable.

You know this would be the time the buck of a lifetime would be standing there in front of you, and your capped with an empty primer! DON'T FORGET TO INSPECT THEM!

Good luck to ya. Report back with your hunting stories!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:43:33 PM by Swamp »
Swamp

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Men, thanks again for your tips and patience. I do tend to overthink things sometimes. I am such a performance oriented person so the thought of a misfire when it counts in the woods is abhorrent to me and I guess I get a little OCD trying to ensure 100% ignition. I never thought to inspect the caps; I WILL make that part of my routine. I always inspect my modern ammo to make sure it has a primer in it so why not inspect #11 caps as well!! DUH! I can't believe I never thought of that!
If I get a shot tommorrow morning, I should have a story for you on Monday!! :-)

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
Sweet!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you!  :shake
Swamp

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
I have heard of the practice of priming behind the nipple "just to make sure" of discharge with a buck in the sights.   I don't do it, nor do I shoot caps off to make sure the channel is clear, only because I know how I cleaned her out the time before and make sure there is no obstruction.

Of course, now saying that, I'll probably get a FTF next time out...LOL
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
OK, Just for the sake of friendly conjecture....."IF" I wanted to prime the drum just to make my OCD head feel better, is there any reason not do use a dab of 4F to prime it with?? :-) Please humor me with an educated guess. :-)

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
Yes, you will create a fuse instead of a flash (a semi-educated guess)
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
I've used 4F to push out a dry ball.  Just have to make sure the nipple is re-seated properly, because you don't want it coming back at ya, that is for sure.

Also, I use the hot-shot style nipples and the blow back is well controlled, don't know how this would work with a standard nipple, though.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
Well, I will say this. IF you plan on priming behind the nipple, then you better practice shooting this way as well. Putting a change into your load could make yer rifle shoot differently. Just make sure your bore, drum, and nipple are oil free, and you will have no problems.
Swamp

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
Quote from: "Swamp"
Well, I will say this. IF you plan on priming behind the nipple, then you better practice shooting this way as well. Putting a change into your load could make yer rifle shoot differently. Just make sure your bore, drum, and nipple are oil free, and you will have no problems.

I've been watching this thread for a bit, and what Swamp says makes absolutely perfectly good sense to me. Plus, the thought of having to practice that way certainly has merit....

Mark, you have also mentioned on occasion your experience with modern loading and how you would somehow like to build the confidence you have with that into Muzzleloading....well, think of this little prime as just another variable you're adding, somewhat controlled, but nonetheless a variable, and a somewhat cumbersome one to create.
I strongly believe a clean, oil free, nipple and drum, accompanied by good quality caps, is still your best bet for constant ignition. Also, the dry-firing of a couple of caps before loading is an absolute must in my mind.

Just my thoughts.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
The chances are good you will make afuse-a hangfire-just like too much priming in a flintlock pan-from personal experience,it took me awhile to figure out why my flint was always going ssssst bang!I use just a pinch now and she fires just as quick as my capper.You need that channel clear to the main charge,there is a theory that even air screws it up somewhat ,thats why they make a nipple with a hole and some guys drill their drum with a small hole,when the cap goes off the flash compress's the air ahead of it and with a hole the air can get out of the way, that is the theory,to me it makes sense ,I think it speeds up your ignition time and any thing that gets the bullet out of the barrel quicker is an aid to accuracy.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »
If you shoot 3F like I do, the drum will fill with powder, and it doesn't act like a fuse. Take your rifle, charge it, then remove the nipple. You will notice the channel will be filled with powder. No need to prime a caplock. Just good care before you load will ensure your gun will go off. Nothing else has to change.

Russ, your right on the money! I was a big handloader for many years, and when you change something, you add a variable. If you add a variable, you better practice with the new change, as your gun will shoot differently.
Swamp