Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: KILTS IN THE FUR TRADE  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »
Aye, and a good discussion gentlemen! :toast
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
Now were was I  :shock:  As I mentioned, I have a little experience )

If you want to be HC, then ???? You can come close (style sett ), but as Kermit said, DYES. ( although I do know a "Lady" that is now dying/preparing/spinning wool per "period" & is trying to "amass" enough to use to weave a "Tartan" ( she figures about 5 years from now  :shock:

OH YEH, IMO. If you claim HC in clothing, then if you wear linen, you had better "document" that it was grown, prepared, woven etc per "period ( trust me making linen is a "BI^ch  before the "industrial age.)

Again, do your best & DO NOT Make claims. I, even @ my "best",I tell people that what I wear is simply a "representation"to the best I can present, but NOT PERFECT Then go out, wear the Kilt & have Fun.

puffer.
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
Well Lad, if you are Black Douglas and no friend of any Watch nor of the Campbells, then we be friends for I am of the Sept Abbot of the Highland Clan MacNab, and we were run out of the Highlands by the Campbells and their ilk.   :)   Immigrated to Canada, and kept moving west ahead of government, finally my grandfather came down into Idaho from Canada in 1899.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Puffer

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
Well Lad, if you are Black Douglas and no friend of any Watch nor of the Campbells, then we be friends for I am of the Sept Abbot of the Highland Clan MacNab, and we were run out of the Highlands by the Campbells and their ilk.   :toast  :shock:
What I do know, is that one of the "Hayden" holdings was held by "branch" & the "eldest Son" fell in Love with a "Black Douglas Lass"
OOOPS.  The "Hayden family SAID NO WAY. Marry her & you are "cut off." He said ( basically "up yours", Married Her, went to "Holland", boarded a ship ( 1622 ) & came to the "colonies".
Was He "cut off = yes, but He had some $$$ ( established a "plantation" & was successful  ( by the  Amer. cival war my direct ancestor owned a large "plantation" in Missouri ( another story)

Obviously, My Black Douglas, Blood line is "Matriarchal" But this "Lady" is " proudly" referred/ respected" to ( as are the other
 Ladies ) Also note, the "Black Douglas" Historian, has "formally" made me a part of the "family" :(  but, a "Hayden rel. in Can. imparted that His "family" ( Hayden) was involved with "Fur Trade" ( HBC & still hold a 'fair amount of stock) )

His direct rel. Worked for the HBC & in 1812 formed a Can. Militia Rifle Co.. :shake & gave me permission to use & off I went.  :shock: ) & yes my ancestors may take up "arms" against" me. 8)

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Re: KILTS IN THE FUR TRADE
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Hey, Puffer, I thought I'd bring this back up. I've been doing some reading on-line, and what I'm learning is that my two knife pleated kilts are probably not appropriate. It was apparently a style that gained popularity during the 19th century, becoming the full-blown 8/9-yard kilt late in the century. What I'm reading is that the kilt of the 18th and early 19th century was box pleated. Cheaper to make too, since it only takes about 4 yards of cloth to do. Also, solids are appropriate, especially if Irish, but certainly HC in Scotland too.

Here's a look, and how to get started with a book and this on-line supplement so you can make your own box pleated small kilt. I think I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.scottishtartans.org/boxpleat.html

Download the low-res version if you're just having a look. Be aware that this is a supplement to the book that can be ordered. I haven't found it as a downloadable file.

So much to learn...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Puffer

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
Hey, Puffer, I thought I'd bring this back up. I've been doing some reading on-line, and what I'm learning is that my two knife pleated kilts are probably not appropriate. It was apparently a style that gained popularity during the 19th century, becoming the full-blown 8/9-yard kilt late in the century. What I'm reading is that the kilt of the 18th and early 19th century was box pleated. Cheaper to make too, since it only takes about 4 yards of cloth to do. Also, solids are appropriate, especially if Irish, but certainly HC in Scotland too.

Here's a look, and how to get started with a book and this on-line supplement so you can make your own box pleated small kilt. I think I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.scottishtartans.org/boxpleat.html

Download the low-res version if you're just having a look. Be aware that this is a supplement to the book that can be ordered. I haven't found it as a downloadable file.

So much to learn...
:lol:

For Me, My "4-5 yd. box pleat does the job from 1800 +++ ( def. HC)  BUT, I wear my MoD knife & Mil. Box kilts often ( late 1820s ++ , may not be HC but NEITHER am I  :lol sign  

Kermit, Make the BOX & enjoy.

Jack
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »
So I'm wondering if, given the technology of the times, the knife-pleated kilt which used far more fabric, was an item of the more relatively wealthy, while the box-pleated was a more economical choice? Thanks for pointing out the side-by-side existence of the two types. If nothing else, it shows that a box-pleated kilt would certainly be an appropriate choice for a "re-enactor."

Got me thinking about another kilt, fella! Like muzzleloaders, can one have too many?
 :toast
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Puffer

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Just one added thought, I am unsure of the pattern that Matt offers. If you are making it for "period" be sure to make it with a waist height that is 2" - 3" higher than what your civilian kilts are. My "period is 3".

Jack
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Puffer

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
So I'm wondering if, given the technology of the times, the knife-pleated kilt which used far more fabric, was an item of the more relatively wealthy, while the box-pleated was a more economical choice? Thanks for pointing out the side-by-side existence of the two types. If nothing else, it shows that a box-pleated kilt would certainly be an appropriate choice for a "re-enactor."

Got me thinking about another kilt, fella! Like muzzleloaders, can one have too many?
 :Doh!  :Doh!
Jack
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Interesting--at least to the two of us! So when you talk of the top of the waistband being higher, where does the top land on you, anatomically? Bottom of the ribcage?

I learned the "wearing of the kilt" from an old Scot, and he was RABID that most Americans wore them like their trousers--way too low. That applies to both the top and the bottom. He also went apoplectic seeing guys wearing the kilt with a regular suitcoat or sportcoat that was WAYWAY to long. He had me get measured to have the top edge ride a couple of inches above the navel and the bottom in NO CASE below the middle of the kneecap. On my second (dress) kilt, I had it tailored to the top of the kneecap. Gets the ladies attention when dancing! :th dn

I see "Utilikilts" as an abomination, but maybe it's a start? :cry:

I've loved seeing the young lads in Scotland in kilts. They wear 'em with whatever else they want. DocMartins boots to sandals, sweaters to tank tops. But always the tartan kilt. Modern kilt wearing seems almost a free-for-all there, EXCEPT for the tailoring and the fit. Still very traditional.
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Puffer

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
Interesting--at least to the two of us! So when you talk of the top of the waistband being higher, where does the top land on you, anatomically? Bottom of the ribcage?

I learned the "wearing of the kilt" from an old Scot, and he was RABID that most Americans wore them like their trousers--way too low. That applies to both the top and the bottom. He also went apoplectic seeing guys wearing the kilt with a regular suitcoat or sportcoat that was WAYWAY to long. He had me get measured to have the top edge ride a couple of inches above the navel and the bottom in NO CASE below the middle of the kneecap. On my second (dress) kilt, I had it tailored to the top of the kneecap. Gets the ladies attention when dancing! :th dn

I see "Utilikilts" as an abomination, but maybe it's a start? :shock:

I like Your "old Scot."

BTW, if you want a Kilt that REALLY sways ( walking or other ) then get a Military Box pleat. I own 2 & trust me they are great  ( they hang more even than "knives" & "sway == on both sides  8)

The "kids" , hey this "old man" wears as Attire" ergo, my top garb is out of my closet most often. ( no Ts, but hoodies,sweaters,team jackets etc. etc.)

what I mean

(LSR)
Jack
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »
I seem to recall that military box pleats command an extra $200 or so to make--if you can find the maker who has the skill. And you have two? I'm impressed.

Also impressed with your photos. Thanks. Proof positive that the kilt is a most versatile garment. With a Mariners jacket at a baseball game? YES!

BTW, I like that solid. What's the fabric?

We need to continue this discussion over ale(s) sometime. Or a bottle of haggis gravy. :toast
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
Is there any decent way to "take in" a kilt? I'm down 42lbs and continuing... (23 more & I'll be happy)

(okay, I am happy anyway - 23 more lbs would make me happier!)

I don't think suspenders would look right....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
Riley--the answer is yes, but you need a kiltmaker to do it, or risk getting back "something like a kilt." If you can contact a pipe band in your area, you might get recommendations. Of course, Puffer might know too!
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Puffer

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
I seem to recall that military box pleats command an extra $200 or so to make--if you can find the maker who has the skill. And you have two? I'm impressed.

Also impressed with your photos. Thanks. Proof positive that the kilt is a most versatile garment. With a Mariners jacket at a baseball game? YES!

BTW, I like that solid. What's the fabric?

We need to continue this discussion over ale(s) sometime. Or a bottle of haggis gravy. :walk  

Jack
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society