Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Buying Mt. Man/Fur Trader Clothes at Rendezvous  (Read 1565 times)

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 777
Buying Mt. Man/Fur Trader Clothes at Rendezvous
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
I am new here and hope I have this post in the correct category.

I am wanting to get started in traditional muzzleloading and dress for the Mt Man/Fur Trading era.

I would like to go to a Rendezvous, where several vendors would be, to try and outfit myself.  I like to try stuff on before purchasing.  I am 6' 4" tall.  Need the long clothes.

I live in north Texas and don't mind traveling to where I might find what I am looking for (MT, ID, WY, CO, NM).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Smoke
"There ain't nothing like boom and smoke!"  :-)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
smoke,

IMO, some things to consider.Get a generic outfit before spending too much. That way you can go to different voos and see what others have. Also alot of studying online will help with what was used and worn by the time period fo what you are targeting. ex.Fallfront trousers and a long hunter shirt will go good for a broader timespan. Dont go by hollyweirds interpretations. I think hangin out at voos and talking to alot of people is the best way and thats where I am at as I consider myself a beginner at 3+ yrs. But I havent really nailed down a persona yet either. Hope you make it to the southwestern.

ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »
Another option would be our own halfdan here on the board. He sells starter outfits on his website:

http://www.bellandcompanytraders.com/outfits.html

It's not gonna put you into buckskins, but it would have you properly attired to walk around the 'vous as you look.....

Definitely figure out who you are before you plop down the big coinage!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
smoke,

IMO, some things to consider.Get a generic outfit before spending too much. That way you can go to different voos and see what others have. Also alot of studying online will help with what was used and worn by the time period fo what you are targeting. ex.Fallfront trousers and a long hunter shirt will go good for a broader timespan. Dont go by hollyweirds interpretations. I think hangin out at voos and talking to alot of people is the best way and thats where I am at as I consider myself a beginner at 3+ yrs. But I havent really nailed down a persona yet either. Hope you make it to the southwestern.

ridjrunr

I am of the opposite opinion.

Don't buy any clothing at all. Buy books first. Research what you want to do, THEN go buy what research has shown you.

If you buy a generic outfit, you'll likely end up buying a second outfit a short time later. Instead of buying twice, use the $ you save towards better quality clothes, guns, etc.

That way, you end up BUILDING ON your "starter outfit, rather than REPLACING it.

Having gone through 1000's of $ in the last 11 years, I learned the hard way. Document first, buy last.

Mario

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
Being in the same situation as the OP, I think there is merit on both of the strategies, but getting your feet wet doesn't necessarily mean you will waste a lot of money at first, especially if the functions you attend aren't the most strict as far as attire.  The worst is to change personas mid-stream, then you might have a problem.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
I agree Mario, but he has nothing and wants to go to rendezvous. So, a pair of pants and one shirt shouldt break the bank and that'll get him going. I'm not the best at typing what I am thinking.Just tryin to help,in fact I can help smoke out with everything except footwhare for his first voo . But again I agree, the more research you do before you buy, the better.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21