Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Harpoon!  (Read 899 times)

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
Harpoon!
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
A while back I got an email from a fellow that wanted me to make him a "whaler" harpoon spear.  He sent me a photo of the harpoon after he added the wood.  Of course I did my twists and turns in the steel. I really don't care much for the wood shaft he used but I think the "spear" I made looks cool.  I might make one to hang on the wall but I will use a "post" for the wooden shaft instead of the wood that he used.  Who knows? I might go after Moby Dick!
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Harpoon!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
Neat project. I would give much thought before going to sea as a harpooner. The job dosn,t pay a lot and the death/accident rate is high.

:laffing
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »
I remember reading that much harpooning was done for large fish that roamed the rivers mouths back in the day, not neccesarily just whales.

Unfortunately, WWPete, I can't see your work because all photobucket images are blocked on our servers. I sure would like to see it though, as a close friend of mine from the UK and I have some big plans that revolve around small boats, long harpoons, and very large hammerheads... I won't even mention our gator plans yet.

Would it be too much to ask you to maybe email the picture to me? TheRaschOutdoorChronicles(at)msn(dot)com  I sure would be interested in your take on it.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
We Build a Pirogue!
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:59:33 AM »
Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles"
I remember reading that much harpooning was done for large fish that roamed the rivers mouths back in the day, not neccesarily just whales.

Unfortunately, WWPete, I can't see your work because all photobucket images are blocked on our servers. I sure would like to see it though, as a close friend of mine from the UK and I have some big plans that revolve around small boats, long harpoons, and very large hammerheads... I won't even mention our gator plans yet.

Would it be too much to ask you to maybe email the picture to me? TheRaschOutdoorChronicles(at)msn(dot)com  I sure would be interested in your take on it.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
We Build a Pirogue!
I tried to email you the photo but the email address was no good.  Give it to me again without spelling it out like you did.
Wally
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »
Thanks,

Here you go:theraschoutdoorchronicles@msn.com

Much obliged!
Albert
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]