Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CVA Variations ?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline BGRooster1

• TMA Forum Member
CVA Variations ?
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
CVA made several variations of the sidelock rifles . Has anyone an idea of what they are,when the different variations were made,etc......?
I ask on account of watching auctions and seeing rifles called one thing on one auction and what appears to be the similar  rifle called something else on another. It is sometimes just the hardware used that appears different.
 Is there anyone who would have this info?I'm just curious and wondering what ones may be less common .

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
Re: CVA Variations ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Rooster, I have a CVA parts catalog, and this things lists everything they've made I believe.

I can try to help you out! Let me know!  :shake
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »
Swamp, never knew there was such a catalog? Might I ask when and by whom it was published ? As the CVA Company name and logo was sold several times , I,ve always had to resort to my collection of various sources of adds and catalogs printed over a period of several years , to glean this type of information.
    I do know there was very little difference other then cosmetic , between many of there "models".   I think the most notable weapons for value were those made in the early years of the origanal Co. The "Mountain Rifle" seems to be the most coveted of those ever produced. Also at a little later date were the small caliber guns like the "squirll Rifle and frontier" They sold quite a varity of weapons over the years including O/U and S/S rifles.
       They alao marketed quite a varity of shotguns both single s an S/Ss .  They also had a large assortment o handguns both single shot and revolvers and some odditys like derringers and such. If there is a catalog that spans the life of the Co. I would certainly like to have one .

:rt th
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
GH, I got this "Old" catalog at a recent gun show. It was very informative, so I bought it for a $1. It's a parts catalog, published by CVA I believe ( I'll check when I get home), and it shows the complete exploded views with parts list for every ML they ever made. It's actually a very good catalog. I can offer info when someone needs some info on any CVA traditional ML'er.
Swamp

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
Thanks Swamp , it will be interesting to see who the publisher is? I own some CVAs and have owned and traded/sold quite a few others.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline BGRooster1

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
Did they make more than one rifle with two wedge pins or are they all mountain rifles ? Is there other differences that make one a mountain rifle and not the other ?

I'm going to be looking for that catalog at the gunshows and see if I can't get me one for a dollar.

Thanks for the help

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
Actually , CVA never made anything  they were and are an importer .
 In CVA’s early years they were a retailer . Not a manufacture .
 Early CVA were made here in the US .  Most notably their double pinned mountain rifles . The barrels on those rifles were made by a couple notable companies and still sought after today .
 They were also marketed in 45-58 cal  and carried a lot nicer hardware.
 The other  rifle that CVA marketed that is  rare  is the Kentucky  one piece full stock .  
 This was a very limited run in the early  1970’s and  came in 45 and 36 cal .
 I suspect the reason it was dropped so quickly was do to Jukar , Markwell and Ulta high changing to the 2 piece stock   to cut costs .
 Yes that’s right , all these rifle were originally full stock one piece rifles.
 When CVA went to the 2 piece stock , they also did this in 2 ways .
 First was a wide 2 inch brass band . Then came the joiner plate  that is most commonly seen today  and is still used by traditions on their 2 piece models .

Now flash forwards into the 1980’s  after CVA hired jukar to  make their rifles .
 This is where things get kinda confusing .
Cva came out with a smaller line of rifles.
  Most totally the deer hunter , squirrel rifles and such .
 But they were having  legal problems .
Thus enter Traditions.  Much of the traditions line  was originally CVA products . The only one that I know of that traditions did not  use was the early CVA mountain rifles.

So what happened was that  from 1987-about 1995  you end up with cva producing a bunch of rifles under different names  all of which look identical .  . IE Pennsylvania Deer hunter , Plainsman , Bobcat …….
In the lat 1990s , they finally settle on calling the rifle the bobcat   for their entry level design .
  They also tried modifying existing lines . So you get the  CVA hawken which looks just like the frontier rifle  but without a patch box .
 Myself , I know of no book that lists all the  buns CVA  offered .  The reason is that  like the early one piece ling rifle, they were not listed  but offered in limited numbers by special order ONLY .
 In the end CVA  retailed a lot of BP items . Rifles shotguns, muskets , small cannons and pistols . a lot of it is listed . But  the better quality items , you wont see untell one day you run across it

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
Here is the CVA Parts List catalog I was telling you about. It IS a CVA catalog. It lists pistols, rifles, shotguns, revolvers, locks, triggers, and sight assemblies. It shows all guns from the 1970's, to present, which would be 1993, since the catalog is a 1992-93 addition. It's pretty cool!
Swamp

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »
you know swamp . thats the first one that i have ever seen that lists the full stock obne piece rifles . very cool . thank you for calling that to my attention

Offline BGRooster1

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:59:03 PM »
Yea.I know they didn't make them themselves, just saying. So if it is stamped "mountain" .It should be from the made in USA days if I understand you right?

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
Capt, it shows a one piece stock for the Pennsylvania Rifle, but not for the Kentucky Rifle, as it's shown with a 2 piece stock. I thought the catalog would be a good one to have, and for $1, I couldn't go wrong.

If anyone wants some info from this book, for a particular CVA rifle, pistol, revolver, or lock, I can send you a copy of the page electronically. I can scan it, then attach it to an email.  :rt th
Swamp

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Quote from: "BGRooster1"
Yea.I know they didn't make them themselves, just saying. So if it is stamped "mountain" .It should be from the made in USA days if I understand you right?

nope .
 early mountian rifles will be marked  wit  big letters  that say ; MADE IN USA.
 later rifles will carry made in spain

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
-and some will just have the caliber leaving you guessing... My .58 is that way. I also have a .54 barrel that I bought from Deer Creek that does not have the country of origin listed.... I don't know that any of my Mountain rifles say "Mountain Rifle" on 'em - will have to check this weekend....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »
My Mountain Rifle is marked like this;

Connecticut Valley Arms
Black Powder only .50 cal."
Steve Sells

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
my .58 Mountain Rifle is like Riley's.

Capt, would you know if these are made in the USA? The guy I bought it from said he built the rifle from a kit back in the early 70's.

Thanks for your help!  :shake
Swamp