Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Seeking opinions on muzzleloaders "made in Japan"?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
Seeking opinions on muzzleloaders "made in Japan"?
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
I know that for many years after WW2 , the term "made in Japan" had a stigma attached to it. Like the "Spainish"  guns they seem to get mean mouthed by many "experts" as pure junk and "unsafe" ect. . I know there were a few weapons in the early years of the muzzleloading resurgance that deserved the term "unsafe" , some made in Spain , some in Japan and some from South America that the term would be proper. I have yet found no documented instances of severe failure of the majority of the guns "made in Japan' that would deserve such a reputation in general. If anyone has  knowledge (not hearsay) of instances of failure , please advise? Even if you feel that these guns are inferior in quality and finish I would like to hear your opinion, and why? Thank You !
 :th up
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: Seeking opinions on muzzleloaders "made in Japan"?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
I cannot speak about muzzleloaders, but there is a Japanese company called Miroku that received some contracts from Browning in the early 70's, to build that little repeating breakdown .22.  I have one and the quality is outstanding.  I think they built other models for Browning over the years, too.   I know they also built some Winchester leveractions, Model 71's to be exact, which are also considered to be of high quality.  

Bottom line, if I was looking at a Miroku-built muzzlelaoder, I wouldn't be worried about the quality.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Back in the late 1970's, I bought out the muzzleloading inventory of a business that was getting out of muzzleloading and going into cutlery.  Included in the stuff was a series of four or five .69 caliber smooth bore pistols.  The fit and finish was fair.  The thing that sticks in my mind was that they were absolutly a safe pistol.  No matter what flint I put into the lock, they would not make a spark.  Must have been the Navy model pistol.  Tie a couple of dozen of them onto the end of a rope and toss overboard, might hold the boat in one place for a while.  Not good for much else.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
Back then it was "Made in Japan" or "Made in Spain" that got badmouthed.  So did the TC Hawkens when they came out.  One "expert" of the day, John somebody-or-the-other (Baird?), claimed they would blow up.  I never saw one blow up.  As a matter of fact I never saw any of them blow up unless the shooter had used smokless powder or managed to obstruct the barrel.  I saw some that were, let's just say, somewhat less than reliable in terms of firing.  

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
SSE , Bigsmoke ,Stormrider thanks for your imput . I hope to gather enough "correct" information so we can evaluate and help folks to make an informed choice.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
We spent a fair amount of time back then re-hardening frizzens and correcting the temper of springs.  Again, this wasn't limited to Japanese made muzzleloaders.  Many of the Italian made guns had problems too.  Now the same charges are being  leveled at BP guns made in India.  The quality isn't what we would expect from a custom gun made from American parts but the price isn't either.  I know a number of dedicated BP shooters who started with what they could afford and later moved on to a more expensive guns.  Hard to criticize that.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
It's interesting to look at the history of Japanese firearms (well, at least to historians like me...).  The Japanese first received longarm firearms in 1543 when Portuguese mariners arrived on Japanese shores and had matchlocks.  The Japanese tried copying them, and did a pretty good job, but had trouble fitting breech plugs; they evidently couldn't figure out the threading.  However, they learned and began manufacturing their version of the matchlock (which used a cheek stock).  The Japanese used matchlocks five decades later when they invaded Korea; the Koreans tried making their own version of the matchlock (with the same breech plug problem the Japanese had decades earlier).  Miroku made a .50 cal. reproduction of the matchlock (maybe they still do); I have one and the quality is quite nice.  A book on the history of the Japanese matchlock is Tanegashima: The Arrival of Europe in Japan by Olof G. Lidin.
Member #424

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
Bluelake , great  short history lesson. Seems very few of us ML buffs have much knowledge of the progression of fireams in that part  of the world , Japan , Korea , China etc. There were some general history of the Countrys mentioned when I was in School , but it seems this part of history has been eliminated in most primaary schools along with our American history.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »
Guys, I have bevy of muzzleloading guns,but not one as far as I know has an
Asian part. Spain maybe and Italy absolutely.With no disrespect to
Blue Lake,I hope I can keep it that way.IMO
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Gordy, send Uncle Russ a PM, he has a Japanese smoothy that he's been shooting for quite a few years
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Guys, I have bevy of muzzleloading guns,but not one as far as I know has an
Asian part. Spain maybe and Italy absolutely.With no disrespect to
Blue Lake
,I hope I can keep it that way.IMO
snake-eyes :shake

None taken.  Each person has their preferences; personally, my preference is for whatever looks and feels nice and shoots well.  Ironically, the "Korean" matchlock I brought back to Korea--as far as I know--doesn't have an Asian part in it, as it was made by an American gunsmith in the States.
Member #424

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
It was my hope  to find more input on the subject by mow. seems very few have hands-on experience with these guns?
I,m still doing research into documents that woud indicate wether or not they deserve the attitude by some that their construction is much inferior to most other MLs . The instances of severe failure thus-far,  has been with other Mfgs. and the investigations into these instances showed that the user/shooter had been at fault in the loading process. Most were caused by the use of smokless powder.  :salute
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
I know that when they were produced, the Miroku made Bess and Charleville were poo poo'd, but now they are well sought after.  I have a second hand Miroku Bess barrel, and I bought an old Pedersoli Bess kit from a dealer who found the kit in a closet at his shop.... and the Miroku barrel dropped into the stock exactly as its Pedersoli cousin.  

Browning shotguns made by Miroku got the same treatment at first.  Not every Japanese made black powder gun was made by Miroku.  I have a "horse pistol" made in Japan that I bought for next to nothing at a yard sale.  It could be fired, if the lock was any good.  The barrel I am using to make a renaissance hand-gonne, with a war hammer on the other end of the stock.  The barrel is pretty good, but the rest of the pistol..., not so much.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »
Gordy, I've kinda avoided this thread for many of the reasons previously stated....bottom line is Japanese made guns have nearly always had a bad rep, and it's always seems to be for all the wrong reasons.

The begin with, the Japanese have the very best steel technology in the world, bar none.
And, they have held that distinction since the end of WW II when the re-building of Japan began....
Their successful use of manufacturing principals leans heavily toward the KISS principal, and many of their less expensive products display this fact,  in spades.

FWIW; I have had this very same discussion several times over with Bob Green, who was the Metallurgist instructor, and head of student placement, at Trinidad Junior State College (Gunsmithing) in Trinidad , Colorado.
Bob was and still is a recognized subject matter expert in this field.

(Trinidad Gunsmithing is not to be confused with C.S.T. or Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, Colorado. The Gunsmithing school I attended and taught for a couple of years....I met Bob while attending several of his classes in Trinidad)

Anyway, here is something of Bob's version, as I can best recall,  as to how he felt this all came about............which I can find no fault with. In fact, I favor his interpretation.

Some time in the mid 1960's Turner Kirkland of Dixie Gun Works bought and sold a Box Car load of Ultra Hi, Black Powder rifles and smooth bore guns.
The number was likely in the thousand's. Many of these sold for as little as $70 delivered to your door.....this about the "cheapest" you could buy any muzzleloader for back in those days.
I have one of the early models in .69 caliber and has had thousands, if not ten thousand rounds fired through it  and it is as good today as it was when I bought it.

These first guns bought by DGW were manufactured by Miroku of Japan, and many were marked, "Made in Kochi, Japan"....please note the word Kochi.

Then later on, in the early to mid to late 1970's Howa Machinery Co. Ltd came on the scene with a look alike of the very same guns that were being made by Miroku and sold by DGW...in fact, they looked so much alike you had to remove the full length stock to find all the markings and correctly identify the gun.
But the big selling point was.....they cost even less!

Special Order, Big shipment, Overstocked, all the buzz words of the day were put into the marketing and selling of these new guns now made by Howa.
They were new, they were relatively inexpensive, and America was coming full bore into the Muzzleloading age, for the second or third time because of the Bicentennial.  

As far as readily identifying one from the other, the one thing that could be fairly easily read on this 'new / less expensive' rifle was alongside the barrel, where the barrel touched the stock, and there was the words Made in Aichi, Japan....Aichi Japan is where Howa Machinery Co. Ltd is located, not Miroku.

Few, if any took time to remove these barrels from their full stocks until later on in life when something broke or wore, and that's when the distinction started to show up.
There is very little difference in the words Made in Kochi Japan and Made in Aichi Japan, especially with the last three letters being "chi"....something easily overlook, yet easily connected with the magic but deadly words of Made in Japan.

It all got started with two guns that look very much alike, both made in Japan, but made by two different companies.

In the late 1970's / early 1980's Howa became a "quality" recognized name in the industry and things changed....all for the better. They replaced hundreds on hundreds of parts for DGW, free of charge, and Dixie Gun Works passed many such offers on the public. (The one thing I personally remember was the fact that the frizzen on their flinters were not hard enough, and something about the front or rear sight being too soft..
Anyway, their free replacement was a very honorable act by both the Manufacture and the Distributor.

Although Howa Machinery has been making firearms, quality centerfire firearms, since before1940, their first few shipments of Muzzleloaders to the US were somewhat less than desirable in quality than that what the new fad of muzzleloaders were demanding. The problems were quickly corrected and Howa now builds some of the finest firearms in the world...Including such names as Weatherby, Mossberg, S&W 1500 Rifles (same thing, identically, as Howa 1500 rifle) etc, etc.

IMO, both Miroku and Howa now build excellent guns. The have both built quality guns for decades. In today's very competitive market, if you don't built a quality gun, muzzleloader or otherwise, you are soon to find yourself without a job.....many foreign countries have tried hard to equal Japans gun build technology, and just as many have failed miserably.

This is the story as I know it. Those of you that own and shoot old Ultra-Hi's, and other Japanese made guns will certainly have your own opinion, and I suspect that is exactly as it should be.

Personally, I really like my old .69 flinter , mostly because it is as dependable as the day is long. It is, by today's standards, ugly enough to be loved only by its mother, but  nonetheless, it's still a great old gun, with many years left in it.

Just my thoughts on this very controversial subject.

Uncle Russ..
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, Uncle Russ!  Great stuff!

Slightly OT--Regarding differences in Japanese quality, early Type 99 Arisaka 7.7mm rifles used in WWII were excellent and one of the best-made rifles of the era; those made towards the end of the war were terrible (called "last ditch" rifles).  The one my father brought home after the war is of the excellent quality type and is one of the few non-muzzleloaders I own and shoot.
Member #424