Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: First flintlock-LH 50 cal GPR  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
First flintlock-LH 50 cal GPR
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »
I got my first flintlock yesterday, a 50 caliber Lyman GPR, in left hand of course which is my birthday present to myself.  My third GPR so I I am somewhat used to how they work but I had concerns when even after adjustment the front trigger wasn't causing the hammer to fall until pulled all the way to the rear.  It was throwing a shower of sparks but I was thinking that I'd have to invest another $200 for an L&R lock and Davis Deerslayer trigger to be a decent shooter so I decided to pull everything and have a look-see.  First I found a sliver of wood in the trigger assembly but that didn't seem to help things.  Then I adjusted the set screw some more and only succeeded in changing the amount of tension needed to trip the front trigger, which still wouldn't release the hammer.  Then I got to looking at the trigger and saw the tiny little screw that goes up into the main spring and backed it out so the spring could move another 16th of an inch or so, and viola!  Everything works like a charm!  Re-assembled and I can't wait for it to stop raining so I can get to the range.  I may still replace the trigger with the Davis but I can live with the lock, at least while I'm learning to rock-knock.  I'm a bit spoiled because last year I had a custom stock made for my best shooting muzzle loader, a plain old Lyman Trade Rifle.  The builder used cherry for the stock, changed the breech plug over to the left and made me a deal on an  L&R caplock that I couldn't refuse so the GPR/Lyman lock seems a bit clunky, but acceptable now that it's all functioning properly.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: First flintlock-LH 50 cal GPR
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Real nice  there bull and happy birthday. have heard alot of good about those GP rifles.  :toast
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
You have finally attained enlightenment.  Let that flinter work on you for a while and you will start to wonder why you ever bothered with anything else.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
I have already changed out the fiber optic sights, which are for sale BTW, and put on the primitive iron sights.  However, the rear sight is quite loose and won't stay in the dovetail, so maybe I will need a shim or a hole punch to dimple the barrel to hold it fast?

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
Quote from: "Stormrider51"
You have finally attained enlightenment.  

Storm
:hairy
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
Sounds good Bull.  The trigger on my .54 GP flinter is as good as they come.  I can't imaging any improvement offered by a Davis would be worth that much money.  As for the lock, it's a good sparker and hasn't given me a bit of trouble.  In fact, it functions better overall than the L&R I bought for my Pedersoli flinter.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Use a punch to create "craters" in the bottom of the dovetail or carefully bend the lips down a bit or both.  You can also come out to see the new place and we will take care of it while you are here.

Storm
Member #632

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "Semisane"
Sounds good Bull.  The trigger on my .54 GP flinter is as good as they come.  I can't imaging any improvement offered by a Davis would be worth that much money.  As for the lock, it's a good sparker and hasn't given me a bit of trouble.  In fact, it functions better overall than the L&R I bought for my Pedersoli flinter.
The Davis trigger is $41 plus shipping and the folks that have them tell me it's a noticable improvement, the lion's share of the $200 figure that I threw out earlier is for the new lock which I am pretty sure is not neccessary at this point.  In fact after I figured out what the problem was with everything and adjusted it accordingly I am quite pleased with the functionality of the GPR flintlock in general.  I will give it a try and maybe even keep it as is, we'll see.  Thanks for all the advice and well wishes, this is a birthday present to remember.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
Quote from: "Stormrider51"
Use a punch to create "craters" in the bottom of the dovetail or carefully bend the lips down a bit or both.  You can also come out to see the new place and we will take care of it while you are here.
Storm
Since I am on Spring break this week I will take you up on that offer.  BTW, my brother finally opened his birthday present and wants to thank you for making that for him.

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
My pleasure.  Now that I'm moved I need to brew again.

Storm
Member #632

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »
The makeover on that 50 sure came out lookn sweet. The GPR guns are hard to beat for the buck. I sure like my 54 flinter for MN. white tail.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
William, if you have the time, check the posts here about the spring removel tool for that coil spring on that lock, take a weekend and take that puppy apart and polish all the moving and bearing surfaces, you'll be amazed at how fast and smooth that thing becomes, no need for the Davis after that my friend!if you can't find the post, send Bigsmoke a PM he has the pick, fairly easy to make one, next time I'm at a buddys place I'll get a pic of the one he made from a small pair of vice grips
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
I went over to Stormrider's place and we pulled the trigger and lock.  The set trigger still had to be pulled back hard and had a "double" click to it that wasn't right so he did a little grinding on one of the parts that had been left a little too long and sharp edged at the factory, then I re-assembled and it works 100% better than it did right out of the box.  I also noticed that the inletting in the lock area isn't very good and the lock plate isn't as supported as it could be so I may put in some bedding compound.  For now I'm just going to sight it in and get used to shooting a flintlock.  After that I will look for a spring compressor for the lock and have decided that a replacement lock isn't neccessary for this GPR to function well.