Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: oddball pistol  (Read 2456 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
oddball pistol
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »
Is anyone familiar with this pistol? the mechanism works great, but two things I find very odd. There is no rifleing and there are two dovetails cut in the barrel, front and rear, and you could never see the sights because of the hammer and nipple.Also, there appears to be teflon tape where the barrel screws into the brass section that houses the nipple. The ID of the barrel is .440. It is marked  

CMC
                                         xxxxxA
                                        PAT  PEND

Thanks for any input, ridjrunr

( and I just discovered, it appears to be loaded  :shock:  )
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Spotted Bull

Re: oddball pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
Looks like a New Orleans Ace. My wife has one. The dovetails are for little rings that hold a ramrod. Only problem my wife has with hers is that it has a tendency to break nipples...spring too strong!

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
Is hers without rifleing as well? Does hers measure .440 too ?
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
They are smooth bores, sold by Dixie Gun works. Kinda like a Queen Anne? screw barrel.  Sold as kits, they may still sell them. Under table gun, beyond that, just a noise maker. Had one, traded to a member for a horn. .440 sounds right.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
I found that if you tilted it at about a 45 degree angle, you could at least get an idea of where you were shooting.  Strictly a belly gun, hence the moniker, New Orleans Ace.  Let er rip under the card table and your opponent will be singing soprano. :rotf
If I recall correctly, they were intended to shoot a .433 rb.  using a hammer, I was able to load .440's into mine, lo these many years ago.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Thank you for the input. I did get it unloaded, powder and ball with no patch. Odd thing. a belly gun indeed.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Spotted Bull

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
We used them at a ministry for kids to shoot...most of the little kids didn't care where the ball went as long as it went bang when they pulled the trigger!

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
Here's mine.  I've found it's good for two things; loading with a powder charge and a paper towel wad to make noise and smoke on the Forth of July and New Years' Eve, and loading with a powder charge, toilet paper wad, 1/2 ounce of #8 shot, overshot wad cut from an egg carton, and blasting away at anything that tickles your fancy.  As far as shooting balls, you'd better be very close and the target better be very big.  ;)

Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
Thank you semisane !  Thats kind of what I thought, mine is a swamp meet special and just couldnt pass it up  :oops:
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »
Ridjrunr, don't be afraid to unscrew the barrel.  It should unscrew fairly easily.  I take mine off by hand for cleaning.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
dan .
 if you need some parts , i  know i have another barrel . the ram rod  loops for the dove tailsand i think a ram rod  ,hammer and  trigger as well .  i dont have the breech though .
as a note , i saw a fellas selling a number of those up at Monroe  for 150.00 .
 over 1/2 sold the first day

Offline Bison Horn

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
dan .

Wow guess those went up in price I bought a kit from Dixie many years ago seems like I paid very little for it, must be inflation.lol
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »
Quote from: "Bison Horn"
dan .

Wow guess those went up in price I bought a kit from Dixie many years ago seems like I paid very little for it, must be inflation.lol
Bison Horn,
                 I agree in the inflation thing......I to bought two rifles from DGW maybe
12 years ago and the same two guns today the price has nearly doubled.
Yep I am sure inflation is a part of it,for the most part.But on the other hand I would like to think interest in B/P shooting is part of the inflation issue....That is what I would like
to think.......But on the other hand....Maybe it is like modern gun sales :Doh!  Buy what ever you can before you can't buy anything....and do not exclude ammo. IMHO
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Quote from: "Bison Horn"
dan .

Bison Horn,
                 I agree in the inflation thing......I to bought two rifles from DGW maybe
12 years ago and the same two guns today the price has nearly doubled.
Yep I am sure inflation is a part of it,for the most part.But on the other hand I would like to think interest in B/P shooting is part of the inflation issue....That is what I would like
to think.......But on the other hand....Maybe it is like modern gun sales :Doh!  Buy what ever you can before you can't buy anything....and do not exclude ammo. IMHO

as the dollar becomes worth less , it takes more to buy  what one wants .
 i remember buying locks from Bud siler . 45.00.
 very nice Trigger  guards  cast in silver were 5 .oo , brass 3.00 and  steel  1.50 . take a look at the cost today .
 CVA rifles were 50-75.00. Pedersoli 125.00 -200.00 . priced a Pedersoli lately ?
 There was a time not all that long ago that 125.00 for a cap and ball pistol  was  a lot .
 Not today

Take a look at barrels . In the last 2 years they have went up over 75.00 . Locks  up 25-30 .

U at the Monroe show I was simply astounded to see so many CVA and Jukar Kentucky rifles   with the asking price  any where from 175 all the way to 250 .  Basically nothing done to them either.
 You know what , they were selling to  
 Odd times we live in for sure

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23:42 AM »
ok . i did some looking in my old 1976 catalogs
 On  top of what Dixie sells , the New Orleans Ace was sold by both Century , Classic Arms  companies
I seem to recall that CVA  as well as Jukar  also listed the Ace .
 But anyway
 Both companies offered both smooth and rifled barrels in 44 cal  .
Century  arms Offered it in kit form  for 29.95 for the smooth and 31.95 for the rifled  bore .

Personally I think they all were imported pieces
Anyway  they  listed  the new Orleans Ace at 44.95 smooth  and 46.95 for the rifled   as a finished piece
 They also offered  it in Kit form . But I don’t have a price for that .
It would also appear that  both companies  used this same receiver for their 3 barreled 36 cal Duckfoot
 But I cant say with 100% certainty as I cant seem to find my parts catalog for  those companies .
 If you do a Google  for  this gun, and look at the auction sites , what you find is they are selling anywhere from 50-60 bucks in poor shape  up to 139-150 cleaned up

These type of guns were  often referred to as pocket pistols . So looking for that  you can find more information concerning originals that  the ACE kinda loosely resembles  .
  IE like we used to say in the scale RC ; Its Squint scale