Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shoping for a new pistol  (Read 2618 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Shoping for a new pistol
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:24 AM »
I have a 50 cal. CVA belt pistol that matches my CVA mountain rifle.  I have been shooting it in rendezvous and club matches for a while.  Last year I took third place for the yearly aggregate.  I've been working with it's sights, trigger, and load development and I believe I am getting all the accuracy I can possibly get out of it.  It looks as if the twist is a 1:48 and I think that could very well be the source of my frustration and why I can't get it to group any better.

My son has been shooting my mountain rifle at rendezvous since I bought the new GPR and I promised he could have the CVA pistol when I got a replacement for it.  At the time I was thinking of getting the Lyman pistol in 50 cal.  However, I notice the twist on the Lyman is 1:30.

That got me to looking at the Pedersoli Charles Moore pistol.  It comes in 36 cal. with a 1:15 twist or a 45 cal. with a 1:18 twist.  I have seen two versions of this pistol, the "target" model is a bright finish with silver trim and the "standard" version has a blue finish.  Both pistols have single set triggers.  

I am trying to decide between the blue version of the Pedersoli Charles Moore pistol and the Lyman pistol.  I sure would like to hear from those of you who have shot these pistols.  

Is the 45 cal. 1:18 twist going to be the best bet over the 50 cal. 1:30 twist all other things being equal?  Or am I overly concerned about the twist issue?

I am trying to decide which pistol is going to give me the best chance to be competitive in the matches.  Either pistol will look correct for my time period and both will fit my budget.
Steve Sells

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Shoping for a new pistol
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
FWIW,
   I've been shooting the Pedersoli LePage (flint and percussion)in .44, 1/18 twist. Very accurate with light (20gr FFFg Goex) charges. 1" groups at 25yds benched. Single set trigger is crisp and can be set down to a few ounces. The adjustment screw on the percussion gun's trigger needed a dab of nail polish to keep it from backing out.
   Like the C. Moore they're target pistols and meant to be used with mild charges.
   Can't speak to the Lyman, other than I've seen a bunch of people doing real well with them on trail walks.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I've ordered the Pedersoil Charles Moore.  I will let you know how it shoots when I get it.
Steve Sells

Offline Rev

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.sheasmtn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
A little late here but I, too, shoot the LePage and have found it to be the most accurate ML pistol I have found ( I have owned 8 or 9 others, shot even more). The fast twist makes a world of difference...
Remember, without the 2nd Amendment, the Constitution is only a recommendation...
Arizona TMA State Representative
Member in good standing of the The Honourable Company of Horners.
http://www.sheasmtn.com

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
Well, Fed Ex delivered my new pistol.  It is the standard Charles Moore target model with the silver finish.  Looking it over I noticed the hooked breech did not fit the tang properly. It simply would not go completely into the tang leaving a gap at the bottom.   :(

The tang was inlet into the stock at a downward angle as well. As it was the tang and barrel did not align.  I could see daylight through the gap.  None of this is going to be conducive to accuracy.

I don't know why I can't seam to buy a factory gun that doesn't need some gunsmith work done before I can go shoot it.  My friends tell me it's because I am just too picky and expect perfection.  I answer that by showing them the factory guns I bought 20 years ago which have never needed any additional work.  I think quality control is just being neglected.

Any how, I filed and fitted the tang to the hooked breach, removed some more wood from the tang inlet to allow it to sit on the same plane as the barrel, and bedded the tang and barrel with steel bed.  It is clamped up and curing now.  

I won't get to go shoot it until next week.  I will report more on this little adventure as things develop.  I hope I don't run into any more problems.
Steve Sells

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about that.  I'd feel the same.  I hope it functions well enough to make up for it.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »
If I were you, I would go on the Pedersoli website and email Mr. Pedersoli and tell him about the quality control on your pistol.  Never know, it might just get you some results.  He does seem to take the criticism pretty personally.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
I may do that.  It can't hurt to give feedback to the manufacture.
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
Of all the luck, the steel bed I used didn't set up.  It may have gotten too hot stored in my garage, or it's past it's shelve life.  I know I mixed it properly, 4 to 1 ratio measured by volume.  This stuff normally sets up hard overnight.  It's been 48 hours and nada.

I just finished cleaning it all off of the pistol.  I'll get a new package of Acuraglass and try again.   :?
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Oh yeah!  The bedding job came out perfect this time. Got things all lined up nice and tight.  A little cleaning and I'll put everything back together.  Might get to shoot it latter this week.
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
All cleaned up and re-assembled.  Just need to let the bedding cure for a few more days then I can see how she shoots.

Steve Sells

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
Great job and a good looker PD! You bringing that to Tool shoot? BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
Yep, that's the plan.  But she is going to have to prove she will shoot before I take her to the dance. That old CVA pistol did take first place for me last month.  I may have to stick with it until I get up to speed with this one.

I don't name all my guns, but this one earned it's name "little beast" for all the trouble I've had with her so far.  I just hope she doesn't require much more TLC.
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
I just got back from the range and it looks like the pistol is going to be a shooter.  I don't have the sights adjusted to put the point of impact where I want it yet but I did get several one hole groups.  Another session or two should prove rewarding.
Steve Sells

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »
Glad you two are getting along better. It sounds like your goingto make a good team.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247