Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Sometimes we make mistakes...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Sometimes we make mistakes...
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »
We often make them for reasons that seem sound at the time and later come to regret it.  This is one such story.  I wish I could say that it is the only one in my life but I'd be lying.  I'll let the legion of others remain private unless we should sit around a campfire and trade story for story because I know you have yours as well.  You bring the jug of adult beverage.  Then I'll tell the story about the blonde that got away.  She was a goddess.  Very exotic and rare.  A blonde stocked flintlock, of course.  

Regardless, this particular story has to do with another flintlock rifle and a beauty in its own right.  It was made by Matt Avance of TVM as what he calls an "Early Virginia".  Curly maple stock, Siler lock, double-set triggers, .50 caliber barrel, iron furniture, and a sling.  I'd call it a "transitional" as it bears features that reflect its Jaeger parents but also points to the classic American Longrifle it evolved into.  I came across it on an online auction site.  Something about the rifle in the photos just spoke to me.  The clincher was that it was left handed, as am I.  I placed a bid for more than I could really afford.  I won.  

The seller shipped USPS Priority from Montana and the rifle was delivered to me in Texas three days later.  I'm sure you all know the feeling of unpacking a "new" gun, especially one you have purchased online and have not actually handled.  Is it what the photos seemed to promise?  Did I get a bum deal?  Not in this case.  It looked better in person than it did in the photos.  I almost reverently removed it from its bubble wrap casing and brought it to my shoulder, eyes closed.  When I opened my eyes I had a perfect sight picture.  Incredible.  It was like the rifle was made for me.  My father was the longrifle builder in the family.  That sort of fit was his goal whenever he made a rifle for a customer.  I made custom bolt action rifles and that was my goal as well with my more modern guns.  It's almost magic, the kind of magic that works for the shooter when everything fits "just right".

The magic continued at the range as I developed a load for the rifle.  I quickly had it shooting into 1.5" at 100 yards from the bench.  I was using Dutch Schoultz "dry patch" method and it worked as well as it always has.  Not bad for an old guy whose eyes aren't what they used to be and shooting over open sights.  Not only was my TVM Early Virginia a looker, she was a shooter.

If you are independently wealthy you won't understand what happened next.  Have you priced a college education lately?  If you have then you understand why my hair is this shade of grey.  More like white.  If you have then you will understand why I sold my rifle to finance part of a year of college for my stepdaughter.  Not ALL of a year, just part.  I advertised and sold the rifle along with a hunting bag and other accessories.  I had a sinking feeling as I delivered the rifle to its new owner.  This rifle was special.  I got him to agree to call me if he should ever decide to sell it.  I wanted "first dibs" as we called it when I was a kid.

A few months later we recovered somewhat financially and I got lucky and replaced the rifle with a TVM Fowler.  I seem to be hooked on TVM guns.  Beautiful curly maple stock and .62 cal/20 gauge smooth bore barrel.  It taught me that a smooth bore is capable of far better accuracy than I had believed possible, at least at shorter ranges.  I convinced myself to appreciate the practicality of a gun that can shoot everything from a huge single patched ball to birdshot.  Who needs to drop a ball into the kill zone of a deer at 100 yards?

Then came the phone call.  The buyer of my TVM EV wanted to know if I was really interested in buying back the rifle?  Errr, ummm, ahhhh, yes.  If it was still in good condition.  He said he had never fired it.  He had bought another flintlock in .45 caliber and had been shooting it instead and he needed money for some dental work.  It was one of those "holy moments" if you get my meaning.  So today I drove a round trip distance of 248 miles to bring my Lady home.  After I got her here I closed my eyes and brought her to my shoulder.  When I opened my eyes I was looking right across the sights.  Incredible.

Storm

Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Sometimes we make mistakes...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:13:37 AM »
Cool Stormrider, come on up to the Aurora Fall Rendezvous this weekend and let me see it .
I'll bring the "pie"   :toast
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
Your a lucky man storm, love once lost is usually a done deal. I don't want to think of the rifles,cars, and motorcycles I have thought I could live without.  And now I  get a dull feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see one of my former loves.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:09:37 AM »
Well, some things are just ment to be. :rt th
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
Quite a story, and I'm glad there's a a happy ending... :bl th up
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
Very cool - congrats!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
Good story. Thanks.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
I'm also a huge TVM fan.  Your story turned out too good to dismiss divine help in the rifle's return.  Congratulations.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
I understand COMPLETELY!! As many saw here,John and I traded,my .58 Transitional for John's awsome Centermark Tulle'. I missed that gun everyday! Long story short,The .58 is BACK HOME,here, where she belong's!

So I DO understand John's feeling of relief when a gun "comes home".Congrates!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
Had a similar thing happen to me.

During some tough $ times, I sold a custom forged knife to an internet acquaintance for quite a bit under what it was worth.

About a year later, I received a package for the same guy. I opened it and inside was a note and my former knife.

He had been gifted a knife by a friend and being of Irish heritage, believed as the Celts did. A man's blade is part of his soul. Knowing I was in iffy financial straights when I sold it, he decided I should have my "soul" back.

Wouldn't accept his money back even though I was in a position to do so.

Mario

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Path...that rifle does belong with you just as this one belongs with me.  Some guns just fit better than others.

Mario...that is the kind of friend one doesn't find every day.  It's good to be reminded that folks like that still exist.  It seems to me that most of them are involved in the black powder and traditional archery sports.  The day I handed the TVM over to its new owner I asked him to let me know if he ever decided to sell it.  He did so.  When he handed it back to me he made the same request.  I doubt I'll be letting it go again short of my death but a promise is a promise and I'll follow through should I ever have to.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Quote from: "mario"
Had a similar thing happen to me.

During some tough $ times, I sold a custom forged knife to an internet acquaintance for quite a bit under what it was worth.

About a year later, I received a package for the same guy. I opened it and inside was a note and my former knife.

He had been gifted a knife by a friend and being of Irish heritage, believed as the Celts did. A man's blade is part of his soul. Knowing I was in iffy financial straights when I sold it, he decided I should have my "soul" back.

Wouldn't accept his money back even though I was in a position to do so.

Mario

That is a "keeper" of a friend right there! I believe there are more friends like that in this fraternity of ours than in any other I have come across.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
I have a "Matt" EV that I acquired similarly. Saw it, looked great, dimensions were right. When I opened the box, I just stood smiling and admiring it for a while. When I brought it up to my shoulder, it was as you said--sights perfectly aligned. I'm of the opinion that Matt's TVM products are incredible value.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
SR51, great story with a a great ending!
The story was well written and I was right there with you, every step of the way.
I could feel the excitement when 'we' opened the package.
I must have missed the part where your daughter had to also have braces before going off to College, but I'm sure it was there. In fact, that is likely the very reason we were late in getting our order off to Matt in the first place.
Yes, delayed gratification is a necessary part of our life.
 It's often hard to comprehend the reasoning, but once you have a grasp on that reason, you will find you are a better person because of it.

Mario, I believe it was our own Puffer that explained to me how the blade becomes the "Soul" of the Celtic warrior, and a special attachment to a certain blade,  a favorite blade, was considered to be that person's soul, or second soul.
It was an interesting story and if Puffer sees this I'm sure he will expound on it bit more than what little I can remember.
My rememberer is somewhat on the blink, has been for sometime now, but ol' Puff is like an Elephant...he never forgets anything.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hota

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 08:17:41 AM »
Some of you know that i also had a Matt Avance southern poorboy that i loved! There may even be some pictures here still posted of her. I hit a rough financial patch and had to sell her. I have not been so lucky to get her back. I really wish i could have but its just not to be. Congrats on getting her back! matt's rifle was tack driver.
Darren Welch
TMA Charter Member #12
Membership Expires 3/25/2015
Member - Lancaster Muzzle Loading Rifle Association