Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hunter Frock/Shirt Question  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Cannonball

• TMA Forum Member
Hunter Frock/Shirt Question
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
Is there any documentation for what would have been worn under a Hunter's Frock? Was there a warm weather frock and a cool weather frock or was it a case of the same weight material and they just wore under garments if it was cool out or nothing underneath if it was warm?

This whole HC clothing thing can be quite confusing if you don't want to create a persona around one of the specifically defined time periods. And it seems like most documentation falls under either artwork or goods lists. Which is fine but it can make defining things a challenge. For instance in Caitlin's sketch of Dodge was he wearing a buckskin frock or linen? We can't tell from the picture alone can we? And I'm not sure "buckskins" would have been on a goods list for clothing, would it?

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: Hunter Frock/Shirt Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
can be quite confusing if you don't want to create a persona around one of the specifically defined time periods.
If that's what you're trying to do, confusing is right, if not down right impossible.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »
One thing to remember about the clothing and equipment of the hunters and trappers in the PNW is that they were part of local commercial operation based out of London.   Although there was communication with the American Mountain Men who lived and worked in the Rocky Mountains, the men working for the NWC and then the HBC lived at one of the company forts or houses and went out on from there on annual expeditions sometimes taking their families with them.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Quote from: "sse"
can be quite confusing if you don't want to create a persona around one of the specifically defined time periods.
If that's what you're trying to do, confusing is right, if not down right impossible.

I agree with SSE,... why not pick a specific time period (and place), then concentrate your clothing research on that?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Cannonball

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
Quote from: "sse"

I agree with SSE,... why not pick a specific time period (and place), then concentrate your clothing research on that?

I am, it's a company hunter for the 1840 Trade Forts of the West Coast (Fort Nisqually, Fort George, Fort Vancouver). In fact I have a pretty good idea of what was worn in the forts, it's when in the field that I'm questioning. I just found out that the Hunter's Frock was worn into the 1860's and there is evidence of HBC and NWC goods lists using them as compensation to employees.  I also found that Voyageurs wore breechcloths and leggings into this same time period.

So that's why I was asking what was worn under the frocks. I'm guessing from the pictures of artwork that they wore a shirt and probably layered for the weather.

Thanks for the feedback,
Cannonball