Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blanket Gun ca1750  (Read 731 times)

Offline Bob Smalser

• TMA Forum Member
Blanket Gun ca1750
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

Unami Lenni Lenape-made blanket gun taken on the Blue Ridge in Pennsylvania during the F&I War. From an old Dutch dog-lock musket with French sideplate, fabricated parts, and improvised repairs. Around 70 caliber. Heavy stock scantling in walnut to use as a war club. Combined natural-shell and glass wampum belt is Susquehannock in design, with additional French trade jewelry.

Acquired from the estate of my ancestor Michael Newhart (1713-1794), a prosperous Pennsylvania Dutch farmer and part-time rifleman in the Northampton County Militia Ranging Company during the F&I and Revolutionary Wars. Here shown giving a living history presentation to a 5th-grade class. ;)

Michael was the father of gunmakers Peter and Jacob Newhard (1743-1813) and an in-law to all the Moll and Kuntz gunmakers. He was also a neighbor and close friend of the Rupp family.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Blanket Gun ca1750
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
[size=150]COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Bob Smalser

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
I'm joking, of course. ;)  I put this together from bits laying around during a rainy spell last week.

Everything is fabricated from scratch except for the Indian-made, 60-dollar (Narayan Sports) lock and an old Belgian percussion musket barrel I had on hand and plugged and redrilled to fit the lock.  The lock is made from decent steel but took the better part of a day to get working properly.

Huge lock, ugly piece, but the kids in the classrooms will get a kick out of it as a reproduction along with the mix of original and repro artifacts we pass around in class.  

Everything else, history-wise is quite accurate, however.  Educating school, scout and 4H groups is one of the main roles of the various SAR color guards...and it's a kick to implement new ideas.

Narayan Sports, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India - Muzzle Loading Guns, Pistols, Accessories, Damascus Knives & Blades | Home

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "Bob Smalser"
 Educating school, scout and 4H groups is one of the main roles of the various SAR color guards...and it's a kick to implement new ideas.

Narayan Sports, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India - Muzzle Loading Guns, Pistols, Accessories, Damascus Knives & Blades | Home

Now, being able to do that would be enough to get me to join the SAR. They are a pretty good group/cause by the way.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.