Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Question about bags  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Ppanepinto

• TMA Forum Member
Question about bags
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
I tend to be a neat freak. I like things where they are supposed to be. When it comes to Haversacks and possible bags, would I be out of place have pockets to keep everything organized? I know I could use smaller bags and tins, but they move around and the one thing you need will always work its way to the bottom of the bag. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Paul Panepinto
Hikes in the woods to make the animals laugh
Member #660
Exp. 3/17/2012 - 3/17/2013

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: Question about bags
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
In shooting bags a pocket or two inside or on the outside is a good idea for small things needed quickly e.g. flints, flint leather, knapping tool.  Patches and balls should be in large enough containers that they should stay at the top if shooting frequently.  It really depends a lot on what you carry with you.  As for a haversack, remember that it is intended for the carrying of issued food.  However, that being said, I have the following description of a haversack written by an officer in the British Army fighting in Spain and Portugal against the French.

"The mess have a good many things in common, but the contents of the haversack are exclusively
the property of its owner; and a well regulated one ought never to be without the following furniture,
unless when the perishable part is consumed in consequence of every other means of supply having failed, viz. a couple of biscuit, a sausage, a little tea and sugar, a knife, fork, and spoon, a tin cup, (which answers to the names of tea-cup, soup-plate, wine-glass, and tumbler, a pair of socks, a piece of soap, a
tooth-brush, towel, and comb, and half a dozen cigars."

All this being said, I am currently making a new one for myself that experience has shown seriously needs a pocket to keep small things from the bottom of the bag as you said.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Woodrock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »
For trekking, my pack has several outside pockets, and several wee canvas bags loose inside...each canvas bag is of a different colour.
Woody

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Here is a rather long video on Shooting Bags and Powder Horns.

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ppanepinto

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
Thank you, that helped. The issue I was worried about is that I wear glasses and wanted to put two or three small pockets inside the bag. One for a flint wallet, one for a small "tool kit", and one to hold a case for my extra set of glasses.
Paul Panepinto
Hikes in the woods to make the animals laugh
Member #660
Exp. 3/17/2012 - 3/17/2013

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
I found that a "flint wallet" and "tool bag" not only took up a lot of space but were sometimes hard to get out of a tight pocket in my bag.  I reverted to a using a small open top pocket to hold extra flints and leathers without any additional material and putting my tools in a small tin box with a hinged lid. It took up no more volume and was whole lot easier to get out and put back in as it slid past everything else very easily.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
I keep my shooting glasses in a small flannel bag with a cord around my neck - tucked in
my shirt when not in use.  I find that they get beat up too bad if left in the bag - even in a 'wrapper'
This became an issue when I got my 'new eyes' after cataract surgery with lens implant and no longer
have to wear glasses all the time (except reading).  The problem is I have a special and expensive shooting
glasses now where the right eye is a .75 correction and the left 0 so I can focus on the front sight.

Cannot afford to mess them up !!!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders