Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: First shots with Flinter  (Read 1025 times)

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
First shots with Flinter
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
Fired first 10 shots a while ago. .395RB,  50gr Fffg, spit patch (100 cotton Tshirt) cut at barrel.   Man what a blast.  I been grinning for an hour.  

I tried .015 pillow ticking but couldn't start the ball, tried some denim, same thing...just too tight.  Found a heavy tshirt that's 100% cotton, it worked.

Anyways I followed alot of advice on how to prime and pick vent.  I ran a dry patch down after 3 shots.  

Hardest part was developing a routine, seems I was fumbling around alot lookin for patch knife, tryin to prime from horn, cutting the patch, dropping the ball, all while holding my rifle....lol what fun.

So give me some ideas about patch material.  Will the Tshirt work?  Is it ok.  How bout pure linen?   Also bought some of TOTWs pure mink oil paste, should I stick with spit or give it a try?

Also how many shots can I get out of the flint?   Right now I'm not getting any delay in firing.   How do I know when to touch up the edge?

That's it for now.  Gonna clean up my gun.  Thanks again Captchee, I'm so proud.

Oh all 10 shot were about 4" low at about 30 yds.  Centered but low.
Powder, Patch, Ball, Prime, Cock, Set Trigger, Aim, Press Trigger, FlashBoom, Smile.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: First shots with Flinter
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Quote from: "dbo1966"
Fired first 10 shots a while ago. .395RB,  50gr Fffg, spit patch (100 cotton Tshirt) cut at barrel.   Man what a blast.  I been grinning for an hour. I found best accuracy/loading in my .40 to be 40grns of 3F and a .024" thick ticking patch lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube; and a .390" ball; but every rifle is an individual.

I tried .015 pillow ticking but couldn't start the ball, tried some denim, same thing...just too tight.  Found a heavy tshirt that's 100% cotton, it worked.
As long as your patches are not burned through/shredded it should work fine.  An op wad will help if they are damaged.

Anyways I followed alot of advice on how to prime and pick vent.  I ran a dry patch down after 3 shots.
 There's no need to wipe if loading is not difficult.  I rarely swab the bore during a session as it often causes misfires.

Hardest part was developing a routine, seems I was fumbling around alot lookin for patch knife, tryin to prime from horn, cutting the patch, dropping the ball, all while holding my rifle....lol what fun.
Simply your routine as much as possible.  Cut out distractions for safety sake and have all your stuff at hand and ready; the fewer steps the better.

So give me some ideas about patch material.  Will the Tshirt work?  Is it ok.  How bout pure linen?   Also bought some of TOTWs pure mink oil paste, should I stick with spit or give it a try?
Use whatever lube works for you.  T-shirt works fine if it's cotton, strong with good weave.  No need to spend $$ for linen.

Also how many shots can I get out of the flint?   Right now I'm not getting any delay in firing.   How do I know when to touch up the edge?
I've gotten anywhere from 5 to well over 100 shots from flints.  You'll need to learn to sharpen them by knapping (which is very easy) to continue getting more and more shots as the flint dulls.  When you start getting pan ignition problems it's time or past time for knapping.

That's it for now.  Gonna clean up my gun.  Thanks again Captchee, I'm so proud.

After you find your most accurate load you can start filing down the front sight to sight it in.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Sounds like I'm on the right track so far.  I'll play around with loads n patch n ball combo ' s until I get my "routine" down.  Then I'll dial her in.

I hope I don't bore yall with my excitement,  but man this flintlock stuff is fun.
Powder, Patch, Ball, Prime, Cock, Set Trigger, Aim, Press Trigger, FlashBoom, Smile.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
I ran a dry patch down after 3 shots.
Sounds like you're having fun and moving right along...that's a good thing.
One thought here.  I woulnd't recommend running a "dry" patch down a fouled Bbl. If that patch gets stuck ( and it will :? ) you'll spend some time and effort getting it back out, which may include water or liquid lube etc down the barrel.  I would suggest a damp patch followed by a dry one.
Of course this is just MHO...
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
What Al said, a stuck patch is a done shootin for awhile deal.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Yep yep, good advice...no more dry patches.    Seems I learned that lesson before.

I will add that I cleaned with windex today for first time.  Worked very good.  Not near as messy as my take barrel off, remove nipple, hot soapy water technique.

Maybe it's just the new barrel but it was easier.

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
Try for a wipe: 1 part denatured alcohol, one part Murphy's oil soap, and 1 part drug store 3% peroxide.  I have used this for 25 plus years and it works as a wipe and a cleaner. Gallons are CHEAP!!!!!!!

For cleaning block the Touchhole/nipple and pour barrel full , keep a rag around the muzzle as it will foam up and run out.

Give it 5-10 minutes and pour out the mix, wipe with a couple of dry patches then one soaked in WD-40 to displace the water.  Dry it with another  and then send a patch with a bunch of RIG grease on it. That has kept many serious money barrel bores safe for many years.

For whatever reason I cleaned two rifles put away 10+ years ago, both bores are the same as put away.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
I would recommend taking a trip to the fabric store and  get you some pillow ticking . Ticking comes in a lot of different  thicknesses .  I have even found it as thin as .010
Also 1 yard will provide a whole lot of patches. Just tear it into strips  to the width you want .
Also at the range your shooting ,  when you get the correct load , you should be getting near a clover leaf or better group .
   I would start by shooting from a bench rest so as to remove  or lessen any issue you maybe having concerning pulling the rifle  during trigger pull  or looking over the barrel . The later of which will throw the ball low  and often left . the first issue will  often throw the ball  to the right ..

As to when to sharpen your flint.  For the most part you will start getting  whats called  the dreaded “Clatch “   that’s a good sign you need to touch up the edge .
  Depending on the lock and quality of flint , you should be in the 75 -100 + range  before you need a  new flint
Myself , anymore I only use spit patches and I regularly get 30-40 shots in my 54  before i  have to run a wet patch with radius rifling .  This however will differ  depending on the barrel , its rifling , your load  and what ever your using for lube , be it spit or other .
But with time you will begin to realize when you need to swab the barrel as it will become hard to load  and your Point of  impact will begin to change ..

Also once you get your  routine down  your fumbling for gear will also diminish .  Gradually you will   learn where in your bag  to place given items . You will also learn  the feel of those items .  When that happens you will be able to reach in the bag without looking  and come out with the item your wanting

im glad your enjoying the rifle and she is shooting well for you

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
Quote from: "Hanshi"
Quote from: "dbo1966"
Fired first 10 shots a while ago. .395RB,  50gr Fffg, spit patch (100 cotton Tshirt) cut at barrel.   Man what a blast.  I been grinning for an hour. I found best accuracy/loading in my .40 to be 40grns of 3F and a .024" thick ticking patch lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube; and a .390" ball; but every rifle is an individual.

As long as your patches are not burned through/shredded it should work fine.  An op wad will help if they are damaged.

There's no need to wipe if loading is not difficult.  I rarely swab the bore during a session as it often causes misfires.

Simply your routine as much as possible.  Cut out distractions for safety sake and have all your stuff at hand and ready; the fewer steps the better.

Use whatever lube works for you.  T-shirt works fine if it's cotton, strong with good weave.  No need to spend $$ for linen.

I've gotten anywhere from 5 to well over 100 shots from flints.  You'll need to learn to sharpen them by knapping (which is very easy) to continue getting more and more shots as the flint dulls.  When you start getting pan ignition problems it's time or past time for knapping.

After you find your most accurate load you can start filing down the front sight to sight it in.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
Just about got er dialed in.

Offline dbo1966

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »
Also found some patches.   Do they tell yall anything?

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
They're pretty dirty is all.  This tells me you might try something thicker or use an op wad.  I like my loads to be nice and snug and this keeps them from that condition.  In fact many of my patches have been collected and fired again.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.