Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Inlays for the inexperienced!  (Read 1325 times)

Offline johnthemc

• TMA Forum Member
Inlays for the inexperienced!
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
Hi everyone, I need help. I am new to the whole building thing and wanted to start out slow. I know some may laugh but please remember its a start for me. I didn't want to get an expensive kit because I don't know if I am capable of building fine works of art like alot of the members but I would like to give it a try. I have a Traditions Tennessee flintlock kit. I would like if someone can give me pointers on installing inlays. I bought 2 books on building but just don't understand the technique nor know what tools to use. I don't want to buy another stock if i can help it.
Thank you

Offline briarsdad

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Inlays for the inexperienced!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
I am not an "experienced" builder by any means. I have however built one gun and watched my dad build guns for most of my life. The best advice I can give you is go very slow and take very little wood out at a time. When you start cutting your outline stay inside the lines to start and use your chisels to shave when you get close to fitting and dont gouge out too much. I was taught to file a bevel on your parts your inletting and they make a good tight fit when they are set in.

I hope that helps. Again the most important thing is to go slow and keep checking your fit as you go.
Bill Eyre
Member number 745

Offline johnthemc

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
Thank you briarsdad,  what way do you bevel the inlay and the inlays I ordered does not have any way to anchor them, can I use some type of glue?

Offline briarsdad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Bevel them towards the bottom so they are a little narrower at the bottom than the top. That is the way my dad taught me. That way you start out with a smaller hole and fit the top flush and tight.

Im sure there are a lot of different opinions on how to install inlays. Some use epoxy I have heard. The way I was taught is to use a very small fine screw either brass or whatever matches your inlay. Countersink the little screw head in the inlay and file it flush when you get it set. I have a few guns my dad has done this way and you have to look very close to see where the screw is.
Bill Eyre
Member number 745

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
i  thought i had a tutorial on doing inlays on here ???
 don’t see it now .
  What I do is use chisels  and gouges to inlay .
. I place the inlay where I want it and then carefully, using a very fine pencil , outline it.
 Then using a small chisel , I plunge down  just inside the lines  that I have traced . This spreads the wood . Come back and carefully remove wood from inside that plunged line so that the inlay sets  down in the wood .
 To hold it in place , you can glue it in . but when I do that I  eather raise small burrs or scribe lines on the back of the inlay so that the glue has something to grip to.
  Most time however I use  counter sunk pins  and nail the inlay in place .
 I then wet the wood around the inlay . This swells the wood  back up tight against the inlay  . If you have  traced the part tightly , did not remove any wood outside that line . The wood will swell back up  very tight  and leave no gaps ..
 Once finished ,  use a file and sand paper to  level and polish the surface

Offline johnthemc

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
Thank you both very much. Hopefully I will have a decent enough job that I can post pic's.

Offline briarsdad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
I always figured that if its yours and your happy with it and enjoyed working on it then that is all that matters.

Good luck and post up pics.
Bill Eyre
Member number 745

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »
briarsdad is spot on .
 i uploaded some photos  that can help exsplain things better for folks in the future
 lets inlay this  takes just a few minutes
 no prep work to the inlay

this is what ill use

small hand made chisel made  from a micro screw driver

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »
This is just in time for me to inlay my hunters star! I was considering just using a 2-part epoxy to secure it, but I'd kind of would like to do one countersunk pin. What type of pin could be used?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
if its brass then make a brass pin  or a silver or iron one in the center

Offline breachloader

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »
"I was taught to file a bevel on your parts your inletting and they make a good tight fit when they are set in. "  Sage advice.

Using a small screw driver is a great idea. I am in the process of installing a patch box and it works great for inletting the curves and tight outlines. I am using a chisel and a dremel to remove heavy material. So far so good. Thanks for the post.